Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:05 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightWhale View Post
This thread is so great. I currently live in Oklahoma and I've been thinking about attending school in California (please, spare me the talk about how difficult it's going to be, I'm well aware). I'm so looking forward to it though, and this thread has definitely helped.
Only gay people can go to school in CA. Surfing ability and blond hair also highly sought after.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh, I just loved reading this. (happy feeling) I think I'm keeping JerZ for pretty much the same reason! Also just because "JerZ" is kind of funny.
just curious- now that it's officially home - are you a home owner? If so where did you pick? Or not, what would be on your list?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
Quote:
Hey all. Really the reason I came back to the LA forum after a seriously long absence from it is just to tell those struggling to assimilate that...it is possible!

Yes! If I can do it then by God anyone can.

Oh how I cried my first years here (moving from the northeast). So so soooooooooooooooo homesick, seriously homesick, crying-homesick to the point where any respectable person would have said "OMG, JerZ, pull up your big girl panties and get on with it!"

Well, I've now officially been here six years and I noticed this year that...all of a sudden this area feels like home. It really and truly feels like home. Not 100% of the time and there are things I still miss, badly, but there are also things that have come to light upon returning to the NE a few times for trips and saw the comparisons in a whole new light...

People are nicer here. Oh, how I fought that one. "They're not nicer -- they're just more fake!" Erm, nope. They really are nicer.

The snooty plastic surgery people aren't everywhere in LA. They don't constitute all of LA. They constitute a percentage of it just as any city has its percentage of complete *ssh* les.

The weather really does kick butt.

The geography is beautiful and fascinating. The mountains are GINORMOUS, especially to someone from another part of the country.

There are a bajillion parks and park areas where you can get your granola crunching quota in (or I get mine in this way, anyway) and lots of mountain areas to camp or stay in.

There's a lot to do.

It has its drawbacks. Some parts of LA S UCK. No doubt about it. Some parts about every area s uck, though. After a while, you get to know what s ucks and what doesn't and what areas are appealing and which make you want to throw up, just like you knew, in your former home, wherever that was (for me it was northern NJ), what areas are appealing and which make you want to throw up. And you start to hang around the appropriate ones.

You find your "favorite areas." You find the places you want to go over and over. And you find new places all the time.

I...I...I (taking deep breath) (struggling) oh for God's sake I can't help it I LIKE IT HERE!!!!!

Just in case anyone was wondering.
Congratulations and welcome "home."

I had a similar awakening of sorts. Only difference being that mine came 30 years later. Yes, it took me 30 years to finally realize and accept that this is indeed my home. Prior to that moment, I wasn't much of a happy Southern California camper. I disliked (not hated) this place and did my best to move out of state. Try as I did, I was not able to relocate. I started believing that that old 70's song by the Eagles had cursed me. Never did like that part of the song which says. . ."you can checkout any time you want, but you may never leave; welcome to the hotel California. . ."

So, there I was one day, on vacation in the Caribbean amongst friends and family, in our beachfront rental condo. It was a Saturday afternoon and I could not have felt more stress free as I gazed at lazy beach waves. I stood from my recliner, looked around, and, for some ungodly reason, felt a deep void. Something was missing. I thought for a moment and suddenly realized that I missed Southern California. I suddenly wanted sushi, Indian and Middle Eastern food all at once. I missed hearing someone speak a language I did not understand. I wanted to be in a park watching someone doing taichi, while another kicked a soccer ball. . .and on, and on.

Yes, 30 years later I've come to realize and accept that Southern California is indeed. . .my home; our home.

Welcome home friend!

Last edited by chacho_keva; 03-22-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
30 years? You're a tough nut to crack.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,398,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
30 years? You're a tough nut to crack.
It was more "denial" than it was toughness. I really-really wanted (and tried) to move out of California. It took all those years for me to accept the fact that I will not be able to move out of this state during my working years. But, it may be possible upon retirement.

With the passing of time I've simply learned to ignore - or work around - the things that bother me about this region (e.g., illegal immigration and traffic). There's not much I can do about those two issues but, neither do I have to engage in activities which involve either one.

Resignation has brought me peace of mind, and a sincere appreciation for my surroundings.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
just curious- now that it's officially home - are you a home owner? If so where did you pick? Or not, what would be on your list?
I'm a homeowner and I live in Glendora. We live in a fairly busy area and looking forward a few years, we'll probably do an interim move either to the side of Glendora closer to the Foothills, or something like San Dimas or Claremont (two towns I really love).

Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I suddenly wanted sushi, Indian and Middle Eastern food all at once. I missed hearing someone speak a language I did not understand. I wanted to be in a park watching someone doing taichi, while another kicked a soccer ball. . .and on, and on.
Oh, I loved this!! ((chacho))

Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,906,831 times
Quote:
I'm a homeowner and I live in Glendora. We live in a fairly busy area and looking forward a few years, we'll probably do an interim move either to the side of Glendora closer to the Foothills, or something like San Dimas or Claremont (two towns I really love).
I should check out your towns. I moved from the East coast back in 1998 . I had a house in Venice off the water -after making it into the house I left in Connecticut, I sold it. Couldn't handle the neighborhood in transition thingy. Guess I am more conservative than I thought. Now we are moving back for a job and the hubster tells me he won't drive an hour on the freeway to get to work on Wilshire Blvd.
Any suggestions? Unfortunately it has to be under 400k but I need a regular full size house around 2100 sq ft to take all my treasured accumulations!
Any suggestions? I am in my late forties - schools not an issue but safety and lack of drama is. I am a writer and work around mostly the westside of Los Angeles.
By the way,the day I started to appreciate Los Angeles was the day I stopped hating it for not being New York.

Congratulations to you and finding home.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I should check out your towns. I moved from the East coast back in 1998 . I had a house in Venice off the water -after making it into the house I left in Connecticut, I sold it. Couldn't handle the neighborhood in transition thingy. Guess I am more conservative than I thought. Now we are moving back for a job and the hubster tells me he won't drive an hour on the freeway to get to work on Wilshire Blvd.
Any suggestions? Unfortunately it has to be under 400k but I need a regular full size house around 2100 sq ft to take all my treasured accumulations!
Any suggestions? I am in my late forties - schools not an issue but safety and lack of drama is. I am a writer and work around mostly the westside of Los Angeles.
By the way,the day I started to appreciate Los Angeles was the day I stopped hating it for not being New York.

Congratulations to you and finding home.
Aw sweetie. Out here is more than an hour to Wilshire Blvd., absolutely. I am sorry.

I loved what you said about appreciating L.A. when you stopped hating it for not being the northeast. Me too! What a great way to put things.

Anyway, you guys would need to live west of where I am in order not to have a heck of a commute. I wish it were different...I truly do. I'm not sure how homes Pasadena on westward (I'd think Pas would be the farthest inland you'd want to get...I mean relative to here) stack up price-wise. I do know in Pas itself, homes are mega-uber-heavy-duty-stupid expensive. Maybe Glendale? Could you do with a town home or condo (to make the real estate less pricey)? I hope somebody can chime in with ideas.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
I'm bookmarking this post so I can reference it to the next newcomer from the NE, or a potential relocatee (is that a word?) from there who expects to find New York here in the GLAMA. I'm like a broken record with those people telling them to not waste their time trying to find NY here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles