Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
I was born and raised in the L.A. area, and I really used to think that this was the promised land - a golden state of opportunity. Now I see a failed state of fallen dreams and broken hopes, brought to its knees by spineless, fiscally-irresponsible politicians who, in my opinion, care more for the wellbeing of illegal immigrants and dope fiends than the plight of young Californians like myself. It was becoming more and more clear that California did not hold a bright future for me, my career, or my future family. I left Los Angeles this year for the Washington DC area, and I love it. The pay here is great, the unemployment rate is under 6%, jobs openings are everywhere, and the cost of living is comparable to SoCal. While I miss the weather, I don't miss the bleak future that California is facing, and I'm very happy I made the move to greener pastures in DC.
Would t MJ help the economy. If anything, politicians dance around issues like this for years rather than just comming up with a decision and moving on to bigger better things.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Would t MJ help the economy. If anything, politicians dance around issues like this for years rather than just comming up with a decision and moving on to bigger better things.
It sounds like Prop D or Measure D or whatever it is will be the solution to that problem.

While I agree things aren't great in California, the doom and gloom of that poster you responded to is pretty funny. Whatever makes you feel better about not being able to make it in California.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Young people are definitely leaving, as the last of L.A.'s historic industries, the entertainment industry, is dying, and L.A. has become very expensive. By some measures, it is now more expensive than even NYC or San Francisco (albeit not much more expensive than SF) Home buyers paying higher percentages of their income on new house... and the worst city is San Francisco houses cost seven times the average salary | Mail Online

Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It would help the economy tremendously. Sadly, politicians are way too short sighted and/or bought off.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Young people are definitely leaving, as the last of L.A.'s historic industries, the entertainment industry, is dying, and L.A. has become very expensive. By some measures, it is now more expensive than even NYC or San Francisco (albeit not much more expensive than SF) Home buyers paying higher percentages of their income on new house... and the worst city is San Francisco houses cost seven times the average salary | Mail Online
Well at least there's this: Filmmakers Starting to Film Around LA in Big Numbers Again - Filming - Curbed LA

One thing to note about the link... Most young people around the country aren't buying houses in cities like Los Angeles, New York or San Francisco - really they aren't buying houses anywhere like previous generations have. Of course rent here is very high too, and it does suck to basically throw over a grand away every month.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 PM

254 posts, read 442,635 times
So many of our friends have left, and we are leaving in August, even though both my husband and I are born and raised So Cal residents (I, LA - he, Orange County).

We make $120K+ a year, but it's nothing. Especially with children. Our salaries are split in a way we both have to work.

Honestly, weather or not, it can be hard to make it here. We want space and a slower pace of life. We can always come visit our family. Like I said, most of our friends are gone, so we won't be missing too too much.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
It should not be surprising young people are moving out.

The fact is its not affordable for most young people.

Jobs not paying enough , unemployment high , housing high,
Not a good business environment overall because of the attitude that " everyone wants to live here "

If you want to rent for life with roomates live in a marginal area that the city really really doesn't care about .Maybe ... But who wants to live that way ?

Sondeera where are you planning to move to ?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:33 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,563,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well at least there's this: Filmmakers Starting to Film Around LA in Big Numbers Again - Filming - Curbed LA

One thing to note about the link... Most young people around the country aren't buying houses in cities like Los Angeles, New York or San Francisco - really they aren't buying houses anywhere like previous generations have. Of course rent here is very high too, and it does suck to basically throw over a grand away every month.
But, but, the local entertainment industry is dying.
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov...ation-20121120

Most of my family left when they were young too. In the 1970’s.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-23-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 07:28 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
L.A.'s culture is diminishing, basically. Could also be said in most big cities, but it L.A. it's more severe.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:39 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
So where is the industry moving to? Or what is taking over?

People don't like movies anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles