Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:00 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times

Advertisements

I would much rather move to cheaper SB County inland valley cities like Fontana, Chino, and Ontario than be stuck in the AV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 AM

78 posts, read 265,716 times
Well I lived in the AV for 10 years... in fact my parents still live there... so I spend a lot of time in the AV... Palmdale and the AV are very unique... After moving from the AV to place all over the country... I can say that Palmdale is one of those odd places EVERYONE (at least in Aerospace) has heard of no matter where you are.. I have literally been in Patuxent River Southern Maryland and people have been to or lived in Palmdale... I have had conversations in West Palm Beach Florida and Waco Texas and everyone knows exactly what I am talking about when I mention Palmdale... So YES the AV may seem like a small desert community but it certainly gets HIGH exposure in the Aerospace and Defense community.
That being said.... I can tell you that from what I can tell you either have to be in Aerospace to live well in the AV... OR be like literally EVERYONE else.. who is a Cop, a Fireman or going to AVC to be a Cop, Fireman or Paramedic.. there really isnt a lot of work in the AV. The economy isn't that good there... My sister has been looking for a better job for almost 2 years.. and all the positions at Lancaster Community Hospital and the New Hospital (on Palmdale Blvd near the 14) seem to be paying Low wages...
Palmdale is slow paced and is one of those places where everyone knows everyone... eventually you know everyone.. It takes about a year to get to that point...

Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I would much rather move to cheaper SB County inland valley cities like Fontana, Chino, and Ontario than be stuck in the AV.
Too much smog in those cities! One thing that always impressed me about Palmdale was the clean air!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:54 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times
Clean air, and no "June Gloom" to deal with.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk92681 View Post
Too much smog in those cities!
True dat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Clean air, and no "June Gloom" to deal with.
Believe me, June gloom is welcome here in the IE, considering what temps are just around the corner.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
To anyone looking to live in Palmdale or Lancaster, beware of the winds that come up every afternoon! I lived in Lancaster for a year, and hated the wind and the long commute (only to Valencia, but far enough!). The only good part of living out there is the relatively cheap housing. I missed the June gloom as well; it gets HOT in the high desert in the summer (though admittedly not as bad as in the low desert, i.e. Palm Springs).

Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM

11 posts, read 21,826 times
If you like the desert, it's not a bad place to live. There's something like 330 days of sunshine a year, and the air is clean. It does get very windy and dusty though.

You're close enough to LA and the coast that you can get to those things in about an hour and a half on the weekend.

There's a surprising amount of restaurants and commerce here. A lot of them cater to people on their lunch breaks, but I've been surprised by how good a lot of the ethnic food is. It's actually a pretty convenient place to live in terms of shopping.

The biggest downsides are massive unemployment and a large contingent of Section 8 residents who drag down quality of life for everyone else. But as a general rule, west of the 14 freeway is all pretty nice. I especially like Quartz Hill (just NW of Palmdale).

Old 09-21-2012, 08:53 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyondanny View Post
If you like the desert, it's not a bad place to live. There's something like 330 days of sunshine a year, and the air is clean. It does get very windy and dusty though.

You're close enough to LA and the coast that you can get to those things in about an hour and a half on the weekend.

There's a surprising amount of restaurants and commerce here. A lot of them cater to people on their lunch breaks, but I've been surprised by how good a lot of the ethnic food is. It's actually a pretty convenient place to live in terms of shopping.

The biggest downsides are massive unemployment and a large contingent of Section 8 residents who drag down quality of life for everyone else. But as a general rule, west of the 14 freeway is all pretty nice. I especially like Quartz Hill (just NW of Palmdale).
The silver lining here is that Section 8 rental owners/landlords will start selling as soon as the economy heats up. It's inevitable. The teenagers and young adults of Santa Clarita, Simi Valley, Thousand Oaks and San Gabriel Valley are going to want affordable homes and will do the hour commute down the hill into the Basin. Demand is going up for Palmdale/Lancaster homes again, according to my brother who is very in touch with the Antelope Valley real estate market.

Where will the Section 8 renters go? Who knows? I guess they could always port in Victorville/Hesperia, Barstow, California City, Mojave, Boron or somewhere out of state like Las Vegas.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 AM

469 posts, read 913,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What is there to like about Palmdale? Thanks
I will say Edwards has some good jobs and Palmdale/Lancaster is far better than Victorville. Far worse places than Palmdale.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM

11 posts, read 46,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyondanny View Post
The biggest downsides are massive unemployment and a large contingent of Section 8 residents who drag down quality of life for everyone else.
You seriously believe all Section 8 residents are all bad people? That's just being ignorant and very judgemental...

I can't believe the amount of people on this board that judge and think that low of all Section 8 residents, like they are vermon or something...Just a shame to think like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles