Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
Bull****....... all above posts.

I lived on Vermont and 36street for 10+ years and that place could not be any safer. That incident with the two asian students was an isolated incident. All this histaria over black criminals is the reason that so many of the students there are terrified of blacks. I know that the "south" side is bordered by parks and museums, north by a quiet area and west by my neighborhood. All three are safe and East of USC is the freeway, decent housing apts area.

No where in there is some dangerous ghetto that everyone speaks of. I have in the 10+ years ever heard a gun shot or violent crime etc. I would definitely go to school there and would not be too scared to walk around the neighborhood. Poor people do exist in the world but I never looked at the area as poor, its actually nice and quiet. As long as you dont join a gang then youll be good. I have actually lived there as opposed to people rambling about black criminal hysteria. BTW, their is nothing more humiliating then white people looking at you crazy in your own neighborhood. Humiliation!
Great comment. People don't think and don't bother to get to know people in areas different from those they approve of. They just watch lots of warped, racist TV and read stereotypes posted by online phobics and assume it as fact.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,624 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

It's not just "white people" that avoid dangerous neighborhoods. We all do!

And this is especially pertinent right now given the level of violence against Asians, Middle Easterners and South Asians.

I'm Mexican American, wife is Asian American. Brother in law is Indian/South Asian. None of us are naive.

"Cody" is LAPD street slang for white boy. One son and two nephews in the LAPD here, so I get it .

So what is it you do for a living? Let me guess, an overweight desk cop that was too incompetent to work the streets but couldn't be fired for their incompetence due to politics?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-01-2021 at 11:18 AM..

Old 03-31-2021, 03:23 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,955,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long beach finest View Post
That incident with the two asian students was an isolated incident.
It's only an "isolated incident" until it happens to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeats22 View Post
depends on where you're from, ghetto is a relative word. the surrounding area around usc is definitely not nice, its low income and urban. Being raised in beautiful south orange county, when I first saw USC I totally thought this place was straight up ghetto. All the buildings are ugly and old, as are the houses, roads are all old, just so ugly and cracked, graffiti everywhere, hobos chillin under the bridge, and there are tons of mexicans and black people (sorry I know it's racist, but it's just the demographics.) This is common for just all of LA though, quite a **** hole in my opinion, cept for a few select neighborhoods. If you grew up in LA and are used to it you would know that, the city could be so much worse. LA in general is a pretty nasty city, Kobe Bryant doesn't even live there because it's a bad place to raise his kids. So yea I think USC is totally ghetto, it's the kind of place where many stores have bars around the windows and homeless people live under the freeway bridge. This is pretty common for LA though, being a huge urban area. Some places in mexico are better than the area around usc. Tijuana and USC are actually pretty similar looking. When I went to mexico for the first time I thought "hey what's so bad about this there are some places in los angeles that are totally worse than this."

Sorry I'm ranting the gist is that the area around USC is not pleasant, it's not outright gangster territory either, but I would definitely not want to live there. There are too many poor people and the buildings, roads, and sidewalks are all old and ugly. If you want a nice surrounding in SoCal try UCI or UCSD

The best thing to do is to go there and visit. See for yourself. Also it is important to note that inglewood, crenshaw, and compton, cities notorious for gangs and violence are all within just a couple miles of USC, so there is definitely some residual rachet-ness influencing the neighborhood around usc.
Good comments.

I grew up in NYC and at one time work in HARLEM (125th street & broadway) and attended Columbia graduate school. So I am familiar how to conduct myself in bad neighborhoods but I can't honestly say the same for those who grew up in suburbia and foreign students. They behave as if they wear a big sign that says "rob me" on their chests.

Despite of my "carefulness", my car still got broken into. Fortunately only the battery was stolen. But it's an inconvenience at 3am in the morning (graduate student - what do you expect) on a long empty street along the Riverside drive.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:17 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Makes me curious, where is the off campus housing for USC, if the whole nabe is dangerous? Where are the frat houses?

Old 04-01-2021, 12:31 AM

2,502 posts, read 1,294,427 times
The Lorenzo gated apartment complex is nearby. It has a shuttle to the USC.
https://www.thelorenzo.com/floorplans/#/botticelli

I don't understand if they want $1,000 per bed or per room.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:08 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
The Lorenzo gated apartment complex is nearby. It has a shuttle to the USC.
https://www.thelorenzo.com/floorplans/#/botticelli

I don't understand if they want $1,000 per bed or per room.
LOL that looks designed specifically for college kids. But if they are going with off campus housing, why would they not demand for own and separate bedroom at least?

Old 04-01-2021, 11:21 AM

44,349 posts, read 20,051,946 times
People, this 9-year-old thread was resurrected by a one-post troll. That post is now deleted.

The OP hasn't posted in nearly 8 years, so at this point her topic is moot.

The entire thread is a mess and it's now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles