Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:02 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times

Advertisements

I ignore them. The only person I made a big deal about was a retired Dodger who popped by my place of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 08:49 AM

61 posts, read 290,698 times
When I was in Los Angeles,
I met several stars in passing and "star spottings".
I also spoke with a few.

At first, it's exciting, but they're people just like us.
They are just in a different profession.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:54 AM

78 posts, read 265,777 times
Default Treatment of Actors in LA

Sorry, but Actors in LA are a dime a dozen. Almost all of my friends are actors, singers or aspiring producers. I think that there is a "scene" for actors to mingle with other actors and network, but it can be limited if your network is small. Generally, I have not met anyone who is impressed by actors unless they are somewhat famous.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
Sorry, but Actors in LA are a dime a dozen. Almost all of my friends are actors, singers or aspiring producers. I think that there is a "scene" for actors to mingle with other actors and network, but it can be limited if your network is small. Generally, I have not met anyone who is impressed by actors unless they are somewhat famous.
This is true. Working actors, models and comedians are nothing special and in fact actually get less repsect in LA. Only other actors, comedians and models respect them and they get cliquish, only wanting to hang out with other actors, comedians, models.

I have an aspiring actor friend and it's always awkward when I hang out with him and his friends. The first thing they ask me is, "are you an actor, a comic"? When I say no, the interest in getting to know me is practically all gone. I understand they're here in LA on a mission but there is more to life than just the entertainment world.

I was invited to a workshop of theirs where they were practicing lines with each other, comic stand up, etc. Not one of them offered sound critical advice. It was all mostly positive stuff that seemed to border on fake kissing up.

I was also under the impression that working actors really do not get all that much respect in LA, in fact they're looked at as almost strange.

One thing that was common among them that surprised me was that they thought it was great that I worked a steady office job and was going back to school to get a professional degree. I thought they would've laughed at that but they were genuinely kind about it, somewhat impressed.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 AM

94 posts, read 204,548 times
When I worked in LA it was pretty much understood that celebrities in their daily lives were to be left alone when seen out and about with family, etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:35 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdMaven View Post
When I worked in LA it was pretty much understood that celebrities in their daily lives were to be left alone when seen out and about with family, etc.
Their bodyguards/posse/responding authorities don't care for stalkers.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:40 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,118,686 times
it's like seeing a homeless person walk by. you dont bat an eye and best part is that they can afford to pay for their own cocaine addiction..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
I have a couple friends who are minor B stars on cable and while it's titillating to hear them name drop on projects they're working on, it does seem that they're very insular & lead lives that revolve around the business and little else. I honestly don't watch that much TV so I don't even recognize half the names they mention.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I have always felt like since I have started living in this city that actors and actresses are treated differently by locals. It seems like locals don't freak out when they see one (even a big star), or when the meet someone who is an actor, they are thoroughly unimpressed. Any one else see it that way?
Well if they did a good job I always tip 20%. How do other people act around the actors and actresses that they encounter?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:16 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,234 times
Since living in LA, I've worked at Staples Center for a few years, and then switched to a local music venue on Sunset Strip. I've been around more sports stars and musicians in the past 3 years than I had in my entire life before moving to LA.

My first year of being around celebs, I used to text my friends, update my twitter, and post photos on my Facebook.
My second year of being around celebs, I would bring up stories in my daily conversations with my friends and family.
Now, I don't even tell my roommate about it when I get home.

It gets old. It's the same story all the time. And in the end, no one cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles