Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They tie them up, throw 'em in the trunk, and wait for the ransom. Recession is a rough gig, requiring resourceful action.
Hmm....very tempting!

J/K! ....or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
One thing I've found, living here, is be careful about what you say. I'll be all "_____ is totally lame and unattractive." and the person I say it to will reply "Oh, but he's a really nice guy! My husband is his personal trainer!" Whoooopsie! Or I'll talk about how a celebrity is my "boyfriend" and the reply will be "Sorry, but he's married to my good friend!"

So mortifying. I need to keep my mouth shut. It happens to me all the time.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Or I'll talk about how a celebrity is my "boyfriend" and the reply will be "Sorry, but he's married to my good friend!"
If it's a celebrity, then it's probably pretty easy to debunk fantasies like that (i.e. TMZ, ET, People, or just Google it). Speak no untruth, you no get called equivocator.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If it's a celebrity, then it's probably pretty easy to debunk fantasies like that (i.e. TMZ, ET, People, or just Google it). Speak no untruth, you no get called equivocator.
Well, I'm just joking, of course, when I say some celeb is my boyfriend (especially since I'm happily married). But it IS kinda mortifying when you actually encounter said "boyfriend." (but fun, too)

Old 08-25-2012, 11:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
Know them? LOL I am related to them. I have been in their homes, had parties with them, and now as a 47 year old washed out guy, I have the cool stories to tell. LOL Some of them you would not remember anyway or that life left them a long time ago. Yea everyone is looking for the current big name star or the person that was on that TV show that they used to watch years ago. I know. Also lots of others hanging out here that you don't remember anymore.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
This thread sounds interesting. LA must be different than that other celebrity town. I read an interview with Carrie Underwood once where she said that when she goes shopping at the mall in Nashville people are always bugging her for autographs and talk to her extensively about her personal life (including relationships issues and their reasons etc) and people would also follow her and see what clothes she buys, so they can buy the same thing and say that its what Carrie Underwood likes. I wonder what is so different about LA cause in Nashville people also see celebrities all the time even if they are singers vs actors. I'm sure a country singer less famous than Carrie Underwoood (someone like Blake Shelton or the Band Perry) can go to Southern California (or New York or Boston) and not be recognized by anyone.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This thread sounds interesting. LA must be different than that other celebrity town. I read an interview with Carrie Underwood once where she said that when she goes shopping at the mall in Nashville people are always bugging her for autographs and talk to her extensively about her personal life (including relationships issues and their reasons etc) and people would also follow her and see what clothes she buys, so they can buy the same thing and say that its what Carrie Underwood likes. I wonder what is so different about LA cause in Nashville people also see celebrities all the time even if they are singers vs actors. I'm sure a country singer less famous than Carrie Underwoood (someone like Blake Shelton or the Band Perry) can go to Southern California (or New York or Boston) and not be recognized by anyone.
Are you seriously comparing the relatively small number of country/western artists who live in Nashville to the universe of celebrities (actors/singers/musicians/entertainers of every possible description) who live in SoCal (aka the captial of the entertainment industry)?

Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,105,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I always thought it was hilarious when people say "I don't care at all about celebrities!" and follow it up with "For example, I was at ________ and I saw ________ but, I totally didn't even care! I mean, whatever."

HAH! I see it all. the. time. on these forums.

Seeing/meeting celebs is fun. It's not the end-all-be all (except for when I met Joss Whedon. That kind of was the end-all-be-all for me), but it's fun as hell. You go to a movie starring Parker Posey. Then you're hanging out in a bookstore, and there is Parker Posey standing next to you. It's cool and a fun little kick to the day.
LOL , this is probably most accurate.
Same thing happens here

people act like its not a big deal to see a movie being filmed.

One comes to mind when they were filming Batman The Dark Knight crowds of people were watching.

Seems its in our human make up to be star struck.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times
I think that people in LA have their reservations about working actors and actresses though because some of then can be kind if shady, shifty and will use you. This isn't to generalize all struggling actors but some of them do have issues. Hollywood can take a huge toll on someone's mental health I assume.

I think that after talking with a lot of Angelenos, many of them will take a step back when you tell them you're an actress or an actor because they've all dealt with a seedy character trying to break into the industry.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
All the people who claim they don't care about celebrities - sure have a vivid memory of when they last saw one, lol. Down to what that celebrity was wearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles