Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM

184 posts, read 353,511 times

Advertisements

Interesting..but it's not surprising to hear that such a story occurred in Beverly Hills.

Not exactly ground central for down to earth people!

I agree these actors/comedians are a dime a dozen..but they all act like they are the next big thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 06:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
Interesting..but it's not surprising to hear that such a story occurred in Beverly Hills.

Not exactly ground central for down to earth people!

I agree these actors/comedians are a dime a dozen..but they all act like they are the next big thing.
And this is exactly why we ignore them. The only ones who feed their egos are tourists and teens, no one else cares.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
A lot of them are transplants and tend to move in cliques ignoring anyone who is not trying to work their way up in the industry. They can be quite bad at being sardonic and sarcastic. They're the biggest posers and trendy people in the LA area. Literally nothing too interesting about them and more than half the time, have horrible tastes in movies. I am a film buff and some of the favorite films of these cats makes me gag. Mostly mainstream stuff that it surprises you that someone longing to be in film doesn't jack about films. I wouldn't go into finance without knowing a lot about finance.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Maybe the comedians who have no recognition are like that, but I know (or have met) several comedians that make a living at it (some of them, quite famous) and they are perfectly normal and nice people. Some of them are people we think of as "zany" (David Cross comes to mind) but are pretty sedate and maybe a little shy in real life. Most comedians I know are so laid back as to be practically comatose. Maybe they're tired from having to be funny all the time.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Maybe the comedians who have no recognition are like that, but I know (or have met) several comedians that make a living at it (some of them, quite famous) and they are perfectly normal and nice people. Some of them are people we think of as "zany" (David Cross comes to mind) but are pretty sedate and maybe a little shy in real life. Most comedians I know are so laid back as to be practically comatose. Maybe they're tired from having to be funny all the time.
Probably. But most of the comics I know are wannabe actors that are using comedy as a stepping stone to break into acting.

Comedians are the least unbearable of the lot. Some of them are genuine guys or gals. And most of the comedians I know can barely scratch a living off of comedy alone.

Also, why do like 85% of the comedians out there at open mics or smaller shows suck so bad? I would rather laugh my arse off with my buddies drinking and smoking the night away. I would save the money lost on cover, then the two drink minimum, and food.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And this is exactly why we ignore them. The only ones who feed their egos are tourists and teens, no one else cares.
If I ran into super stars like Peter Higgs, Michio Kaku, and Stephen Hawking, I would probably be dumb founded, then scream like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Just sayin...

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 AM

79 posts, read 178,913 times
I guess it depends who it is. Most of the time, I just ignore it, but if it is someone I particularly respect, and they are alone (not with kids, or spouse) then I might go briefly say hi.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:07 AM

29 posts, read 73,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
If I ran into super stars like Peter Higgs, Michio Kaku, and Stephen Hawking, I would probably be dumb founded, then scream like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert. Just sayin...
But would you say your excitement would really stem from the fact alone that you saw them / physically crossed paths with them?
Don't "such cases" of celeb mettings (i.e., Hawking, etc.) already differentiate themselves from the general "I saw/met a celeb" craze in that the excitement is rather grounded in the possibility to have a convo with the celeb about his work and maybe to get an opportunity to have certain questions professionally answered by the celeb that have been burning in your mind and that you might even always wanted to ask that specific celeb?

What I mean:

A Shakespeare geek might be excited to suddenly have two minutes of Patrick Stewart's time.
For an acting geek, it might be meeting Tom Hanks or Sean Connery or whoever in a way that would allow for a quick chat.
A hobbyist photographer meeting a well-published pro photog whose work/style he likes.
a.s.o.

vs

Peeps flipping when they see ANY random A-list celeb simply b/c that celeb is currently/generally known in the media very well.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:24 PM

184 posts, read 353,511 times
It seems there are a lot of people like this..and there are people that go crazy over people that aren't famous

Did any of you see this 21yr old guy in NYC that pretended to be a Celeb

'Fake Celebrity' Brett Cohen Pranks New York City (VIDEO)

He had a fake entourage ,camera crew following him and all these people acted like they knew who he was

It's kind of ironic because now a lot of people know him so he's actually kind of a celeb.

I wonder if the same thing could be replicated in L.A ..maybe on the Hollywood Walk of Fame...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Probably. But most of the comics I know are wannabe actors that are using comedy as a stepping stone to break into acting.

Comedians are the least unbearable of the lot. Some of them are genuine guys or gals. And most of the comedians I know can barely scratch a living off of comedy alone.

Also, why do like 85% of the comedians out there at open mics or smaller shows suck so bad? I would rather laugh my arse off with my buddies drinking and smoking the night away. I would save the money lost on cover, then the two drink minimum, and food.
Yeah, I hate hate HATE going to see open mic comedy. I used to get suckered into it, but never again.

When comedy is good, it's great! Went to see Margaret Cho on a whim. Saw her on a talk show, and she was funny and I thought... why not!? She was hilarious! I laughed and laughed and laughed! It was a pleasant surprise.

But, I'll never go see someone I've never heard of ever again. It's the most awkward/uncomfortable thing in the world to be in a unamused audience while the "comedian" is all "Come ON! That was FUNNY!" and then devolves into making fun of the audience "Look at this guy. He's all ARGH! And his wife is all Ohhhhh! Look at them!"

Awful! Used to happen every time I went to an open mic. Yeah... it's the AUDIENCE'S fault that you're not funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles