Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:07 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times

Advertisements

If everybody in the LA metro area were like Jackie100 or if the entire area was like west LA, Beverly Hills, OC, WH or SM, I would leave immediately!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG3 View Post
This post screams low class, sorry.
How is it low class to answer the topic which asks "What is it like to live in L.A"? Someone asked a question and I simply answered them. How is it low class not to head into East L.A or the ghetto since I have no business going there?

I am telling the topic starter that live in some areas of L.A really is way it is portrayed on tv which is accurate. At least in my perspective it is.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG3 View Post
This post screams low class, sorry.
No, that post screams "I am the most boring and vapid person in the world."

Old 09-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
No, that post screams "I am the most boring and vapid person in the world."
I am pretty sure that there are PLENTY of people in Weho and on the Westside who don't venture into the ghetto because we have no business going there. That's not a rude remark but the truth. Everything I need (shops, services, places I need to go) is in non-ghetto areas. There is no reason for me to go into those areas nor do I have any desire to. That's not being boring or vapid but reality. Exploring ghettos and low income areas is not exactly a pastime for many people but I guess you think doing so makes someone interesting and less vapid.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
I am pretty sure that there are PLENTY of people in Weho and on the Westside who don't venture into the ghetto because we have no business going there. That's not a rude remark but the truth. Everything I need (shops, services, places I need to go) is in non-ghetto areas. There is no reason for me to go into those areas nor do I have any desire to. That's not being boring or vapid but reality. Exploring ghettos and low income areas is not exactly a pastime for many people but I guess you think doing so makes someone interesting and less vapid.
But there are so many areas in Los Angeles that are full of awesome and they aren't the ghetto. That is the point they are trying to make, not that you are full of it because you don't want to go into bad areas.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
But there are so many areas in Los Angeles that are full of awesome and they aren't the ghetto. That is the point they are trying to make, not that you are full of it because you don't want to go into bad areas.
I am aware of that. However, I don't find "exploring" fun. Even exploring other "nice" areas. It's not a hobby of mine. I barely have free time as it is and I much better things to do on the weekend than explore random cities in L.A. I don't enjoy traveling either. Seeing "new places" is not how I want to spend my limited free time.

I doubt many people explore new areas just for fun; it's a very niche and obscure hobby. Most people have better/more productive things to do in their life. It's definitely a mainstream pastime to explore random areas for fun. I don't know anyone who does that.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:11 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
"Like duh, guys, isn't it just normal for people who live in West LA to like not go to the ghetto because it's a ghetto? So what if I never ventured out there to explore, it's just ghetto cus that's what I here (sic) from my bff's. OMG, what is ya'lls problem! Like totally not cool. Me in rhe ghetto? As if!"

- Jackie

Seriously though West LA is fun but it's not the coolest place in LA, not even close, doesn't even hold a candle to DTLA. Not even in the same game. I go to West LA to get my shopping on, head to rhe beach or want to satisfy the small little shallow side I have by eating at nice restaurants and being seen, lol.
But do I think the area is hip or cool? No, not at all. It's like comparing a great underground rock band that's making it's rounds on the scene, and a pop musician with one catchy song you may hum now and then.

It's the difference between being in the know and being a poser.

The difference between an acclaimed Sidney Lumet movie and a mainstream Rom Com.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Count David; 09-03-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Seriously though West LA is fun but it's not the coolest place in LA, not even close, doesn't even hold a candle to DTLA. Not even in the same game. I go to West LA to get my shopping on, head to rhe beach or want to satisfy the small little shallow side I have by eating at nice restaurants and being seen, lol.
True, it's not as easy to get around and there isn't as much to do over there.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:22 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
I am aware of that. However, I don't find "exploring" fun. Even exploring other "nice" areas. It's not a hobby of mine. I barely have free time as it is and I much better things to do on the weekend than explore random cities in L.A. I don't enjoy traveling either. Seeing "new places" is not how I want to spend my limited free time.

I doubt many people explore new areas just for fun; it's a very niche and obscure hobby. Most people have better/more productive things to do in their life. It's definitely a mainstream pastime to explore random areas for fun. I don't know anyone who does that.
"I don't enjoy traveling" pretty much sums you up. But most people really do - they aren't the niche minority - you are. Most people love to go to new places and SoCal is great for that. From the South Bay to the Angeles National Forest to the Mojave to Malibu. It's great! And that's just LA County! SoCal is a wonderland of places to go and experience. Staying in WH is just dull. But if you like it, then you're just one less person on the roads.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
NG3

22 posts, read 42,602 times
Quote:
How is it low class to answer the topic which asks "What is it like to live in L.A"? Someone asked a question and I simply answered them. How is it low class not to head into East L.A or the ghetto since I have no business going there?

I am telling the topic starter that live in some areas of L.A really is way it is portrayed on tv which is accurate. At least in my perspective it is.
Its has nothing to do with you going to East LA or "the ghetto". Its your condescending vocabulary, "I dont know any broke people therefore I have no business going to the east side." etc.. Those kinds of words are not a good look for anybody and I've seen a few people use them, not just you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles