Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:37 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL and you want to move to Phoenix?
Its funny everyone I talk to in LA thinks Phoenix is like Riverside or Palmdale. Even though Phoenix is in the desert its a cosmopolitan city. You have museams,sports teams and good restuarants. The area of Phoenix I like is Scottsdale. But the hot summers in Phoenix would drive me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:40 PM

151 posts, read 366,811 times
i would recommend studying astrology. it's possible that the signs of the people you're interacting with aren't compatible with yours. or at least, find out their signs and act accordingly. you'd be surprised by finding out something as simple as Leo's expect other people to pay for their dinner, makes a huge difference. the key is awareness. if you are aware that the sign Leo has a sense of entitlement and wants you to pay for everything, just remember to not bring money with you when you hang out with them.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
We're about the same age. I'm 29. And yes, I'm one of very few people I know who doesn't have a smart phone. Whatever, nobody says to me, "You were cool when we were talking before, but now that I've seen your phone... I... I dunno." Never happened.
Do you plan on getting a smartphone? I'm not interested in a smartphone becuase its a waste of money. I already have an ipod touch which can do anything an iphone can do as long as I'm on wifi. You said you grew up in LA. Where in LA did you grow up?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
i would recommend studying astrology. it's possible that the signs of the people you're interacting with aren't compatible with yours. or at least, find out their signs and act accordingly. you'd be surprised by finding out something as simple as Leo's expect other people to pay for their dinner, makes a huge difference. the key is awareness. if you are aware that the sign Leo has a sense of entitlement and wants you to pay for everything, just remember to not bring money with you when you hang out with them.
People can be cruel and will use you if they think they can.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:53 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I didn't have a smartphone when I lived in Boston (finally upgraded ) but I had plenty of friends - and yes, it took a few months to make them, I was pretty lonesome at first. Doubt it had much to do with my phone or my BMI.

I don't get people talking about cliques in LA... This is a huge city, not high school. If people don't want to hang out with you or let you into their social group, f*** em, there's like 3,999,999 other people to hang out with.

On the other hand, I can see how dating here would be intimidating or difficult. Luckily I've never had to deal with that.
You're right. I don't bug out about it but LA can be quite cliquish in some regards. It's just how some of these major cities are.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dculross View Post
What the hell is this gris gris you're peddling? You may as well tell him to consult his local shaman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Do you plan on getting a smartphone? I'm not interested in a smartphone becuase its a waste of money. I already have an ipod touch which can do anything an iphone can do as long as I'm on wifi. You said you grew up in LA. Where in LA did you grow up?
Why are we still on the phone thing? Hint: Your issue is not your telephone. But if you must know, I'm waffling on whether I'll get one. My current phone is an epic POS with an intermittently functional touch screen that chronically purse dials and texts people, so I need a new one, and am thinking about jumping ship to the couple of providers (T-Mob most likely) that'll give you an unlimited data plan and a phone for a reasonable price. If I can't find something I can live with, I'll just get another dumb phone. Anyway, enough about this, because the phone thing is absurd.

I grew up in South Central LA (USC area), then after college moved to Korea Town which is where I lived until I left LA. Why?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
What the hell is this gris gris you're peddling? You may as well tell him to consult his local shaman.

Why are we still on the phone thing? Hint: Your issue is not your telephone. But if you must know, I'm waffling on whether I'll get one. My current phone is an epic POS with an intermittently functional touch screen that chronically purse dials and texts people, so I need a new one, and am thinking about jumping ship to the couple of providers (T-Mob most likely) that'll give you an unlimited data plan and a phone for a reasonable price. If I can't find something I can live with, I'll just get another dumb phone. Anyway, enough about this, because the phone thing is absurd.

I grew up in South Central LA (USC area), then after college moved to Korea Town which is where I lived until I left LA. Why?
Did you go to a public high school or private high school? Where did you go to college? I went to california state university northridge. I thought about moving to Chicago 5-6 years ago.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:19 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Public high school, private university not in So Cal. Again, why?

Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Quote:
I'm a 31 year old single white male. I moved to the San Fernando Valley portion of LA in 1982 at one year old. I grew up in Encino and have lived in the LA area all of my life. After high school I went to California State University Northridge and got a BA degree after 5 year in Radio-TV-Film.

Since graduating college in 2004 I have noticed certan things about LA and the San Fernando valley that bother me.

I have noticed that more and more generation Y kids from the midwest and other parts of the country keep moving here and try to act like fake actors or actresses. These out of towners take away many of the retail and restuarant jobs. They also make other jobs more competetive. The high apartment rental prices are rediculus here. The traffic is horrible and gets worse and worse every day. The single woman are very superficial and fake. Its hard to make friends that arent acquantances.

The LA area is also very very consumeristic.

I drive a 1999 Toyota Camry that I after I graduated high school. The car still runs and drives great. People I try to meet look down at me for not driving a BMW,Mercedez or late model Honda or Toyota. My cell phone is a basic Verizon flip phone. Almost everyone in the LA area has these expensive Andriod or Iphones. Whne people see me pull out my basci Verizon flip phone they wonder about me.

I'm not interested in wasting money in a new car or expensive smartphone.

Since I lost my job in February 2012 I have been collecting unemployment and I cant find another job anywhere in LA.

Currently I'm living at home with my parents in Encino. When I did work I couldn't afford $1,500 a month for a basic run down apartment.

For the past 8 year I have been unable to meet a woman to date.

I do appear different than most people by LA standards. I wear glasses,walk wobbly and talke in a monotone voice.

Also I don't have any great male friends either. Most of them are acquantances. Many of them live 25-30 miles away. Unfortunatly I have met guy friends who used and took advantage of me to pay for them at restuarants,movies and road trips.

For the past 4 years I have considered packing up my car and moving to Las Vegas,Pheonix or Portland,Oregon. Las Vegas and Phoenix have very high unemployment rates now. Portland also has very high unemployment rates.

I have anough money saved to afford a nice apartment in the 3 cities I mentioned.

Even though I have family in LA I'm starting to realize that LA isn't the right place for me.

I'm lost as to wether leaving LA is a good choice.

A friend of mine just moved out of LA and moved to Albany,New York. He told me on the phone last night that it was the best move he ever made. He is 41 years old and for 8 years couldn't find a woman who would date him. This person is 300 pounds and drives a 1991 Nissan Maxima. He also has an att prepaid cellphone. In Albany he met a 35 year old girlfriend that he has been dating for 3 months. He also told me he had better luck finding better paying full time jobs in Albany as well.

Should I say goodbye to LA and try my luck elsewhere?
There are some good things about living in the LA area such as nice beaches,mountans,canyon roads and so much to see and do.
I also like how LA has nice weather year around.
As a CA native familiar with all of LA County, I can say this. It sucks. Suggest you check out Portland, Austin or some other Progressive area. LA used to be okay. No more. Go out and explore. Best of Luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:29 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
It seems that in LA many people over 40 don't have smartphone. It seems that every person in LA under age 40 has a smartphone. I have an old friend who lives in an area near Phoenix called scottsdale. He tells me that its very hard to meet people in the Pheonix area. He tells me that I wont be happy in phoenix.
I found the opposite of this to be true. Maybe because I work with a lot of older wealthier folks but it seems that it's the kids and twenty-somethings who have the pay-as-you-go phones, not those over 40. Whatever, because if the phone works, who really cares?

And Scottsdale has a lot of singles. If you can't meet someone there, you're not trying hard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles