Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Sounds like the place where good ol' Texas boys goto become collegiate rebels. Iowa City sort of has a similar perception in Iowa, to a lesser extent. I've gotten the impression having visited Houston & Dallas several times that Austin is seen as the most liberal place on Earth to Texans.
Yeah, they call it the San Francisco of the South!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:43 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
It's sort of off-topic...but TX still seems so undeniably "good ol' boy" (I'm not denying there is a small trendy crowd among guys but it's gotta be so small it's irrelevant). OP might find LA guys too be a little strange. I remember in Dallas, even the gays generally look conservative. Houston actually seemed to have more "LA styled dudes" at clubs than Dallas (something to do with more South Americans in my opinion). Houston has more of the kind of guys are typically considered to be "douchey/guido", even if they are actually cool guys. Dallas seemed all about polo/lacoste or brooks brothers style. I remember at an apt complex in uptown Dallas, getting in an elevator to goto my friends apt, and there were 3 dudes in there, all short haircut, plaid sweater with express jeans and kenneth coles super boxy shoes that were common in the late 90s. They start talking...and I know they are gay.

I'm in there, dressed flashy like a true European South American with the layered bedhead look, black wax-coated skinny jeans tucked into black boots, they ask me what floor to push, I say "5", and they were surprised I sounded straight. I could tell.

I also got the impression TX women are fascinated with this regular-average-guy thing, as long as he's white and 6ft tall.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM

In Houston the preppy thing is not that in style. It's more urban than anything else.

In Dallas you have SMU and TCU which are super preppy schools. Not to mention nearby Baylor in Waco.

Texas women generally want either a preppy clean cut professional in accounting, oil and gas or insurance/real estate, if they closer into town. A little not out if town and they like a country dude that wears cammo gear daily and works at a small or medium sized business doing similar things the other desired guy is doing.

Point is girls in Texas love regular guys. If a guy is tatted up looks rock star glam and has a funky style, it's a no go. Also creative jobs are seen as a poor excuse for a career. If you eve make good money as a designer or what not then its not a real job. Accounting, finance, oil and gas, engineering etc are the only jobs a girl wants to hear when choosing a spouse.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM

I've heard before that Dallas dating is very competitive, more than most cities. I also get the impression it's a competition of who is the most "right kind of average" and makes above-average money, but doesn't have to be rich like it's so often implied.

Barely saw any interracial dating either...even the standard white guy/asian woman combination didn't seem common in either city.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM

29 posts, read 53,430 times
Quote:
I've heard before that Dallas dating is very competitive, more than most cities. I also get the impression it's a competition of who is the most "right kind of average" and makes above-average money, but doesn't have to be rich like it's so often implied.

Barely saw any interracial dating either...even the standard white guy/asian woman combination didn't seem common in either city.
HAHAHA!! That's an under-estimate. There's nothing but $30,000 millionaires. Plain and simple. Cookie cutter, carbon copies. It's so boring, everyone looks the same, no originality, everyone lives to impress others and out do each other. That's why Dallas has the highest rate of credit card debt in the nation. The dating scene is joke. As far as interracial dating there's alot of black men with white women combos EVERYWHERE! I also see alot of asian women with white men. The standard white men here are sooooo boring. Competition is very high as far as dating, if you're standards are low then you can definitely, luck up in Dallas with dating.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I also got the impression TX women are fascinated with this regular-average-guy thing, as long as he's white and 6ft tall.
Good luck finding a guy over 6ft tall in Dallas. Most of the men on average are 5'7 or shorter. If he is 6ft tall then he's taken.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnbccbs View Post
HAHAHA!! That's an under-estimate. There's nothing but $30,000 millionaires. Plain and simple. Cookie cutter, carbon copies. It's so boring, everyone looks the same, no originality, everyone lives to impress others and out do each other. That's why Dallas has the highest rate of credit card debt in the nation. The dating scene is joke. As far as interracial dating there's alot of black men with white women combos EVERYWHERE! I also see alot of asian women with white men. The standard white men here are sooooo boring. Competition is very high as far as dating, if you're standards are low then you can definitely, luck up in Dallas with dating.
They might be boring to you (meaning you do belong in CA), but women in TX and most of the south/midwest (stronger in south) generally prefer a "full grown Bugle Boy" as long as he's in the right industry and white. At least from what I have seen.

Like that full-grown boy look is so common there. Let's all aspire to dress like Charlie Brown because that's what the conservative culture wants. Any guy who isn't like this (besides hipsters) and actually into fashion are always automatically thought of as being possibly gay (unless a bodybuilder or just really big & tall). Usually the guys into fashion are better-looking to begin with, but often in a slightly feminine way, I just don't think TX is a good place for guys like this. Probably the reason I don't like it much.

I can see the majority of attractive eligible women in Dallas simply dismissing most guys in LA (that goto clubs and keep up with trends) as being gay without even talking to them. Doesn't look like he can change a tire...you know what that means lol.

Last edited by moonsparkle; 10-30-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
In Houston the preppy thing is not that in style. It's more urban than anything else.

In Dallas you have SMU and TCU which are super preppy schools. Not to mention nearby Baylor in Waco.

Texas women generally want either a preppy clean cut professional in accounting, oil and gas or insurance/real estate, if they closer into town. A little not out if town and they like a country dude that wears cammo gear daily and works at a small or medium sized business doing similar things the other desired guy is doing.

Point is girls in Texas love regular guys. If a guy is tatted up looks rock star glam and has a funky style, it's a no go. Also creative jobs are seen as a poor excuse for a career. If you eve make good money as a designer or what not then its not a real job. Accounting, finance, oil and gas, engineering etc are the only jobs a girl wants to hear when choosing a spouse.
You pretty much summed it up. The women here are looking for regular, BORING, guys. The guys listen to country music and Nickleback. The women want to settle down quick, become stay at home wives, live in a cookie cutter brick house, shop their families in debt, keep up with the jones, use their husbands paychecks to buy a cookie cutter Louis Vuitton bag, and their Ashley Furniture, kids, PTA, Friday Football and then die. It's soooooo boring. They can't step outside the box at all.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnbccbs View Post
You pretty much summed it up. The women here are looking for regular, BORING, guys. The guys listen to country music and Nickleback. The women want to settle down quick, become stay at home wives, live in a cookie cutter brick house, shop their families in debt, keep up with the jones, use their husbands paychecks to buy a cookie cutter Louis Vuitton bag, and their Ashley Furniture, kids, PTA, Friday Football and then die. It's soooooo boring. They can't step outside the box at all.

They do that when they're young, like in their 20s, and then by the time they're 40, they tend to be drunk pill poppers with so many secrets it makes them a bit screw loose.

A lot of them are either divorced by then or sticking it out in a lousy marriage while sleeping around with younger men.

They regret a lot of things and tend to hate on women like you who venture off to pursue their passions and accomplish things.

The one thing I hate the most is how much they resent people who dont have children by the time they're 25. It's as though, children are the best thing on this earth and you have no idea what true love is until you have a child and can never ever ever know what it feels like to really love a child until you have one of your own, yada yada yada.

The minute you say anything contrary to family values they act like you just pissed all over the dinner table. I mean it's ridiculous how much they project on people they know are loving their lives without getting knocked up or married or living the planted family life.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 AM

LOL, that is sort of an interesting paradox. I know what you mean as well...they hit a certain age and hit the bar heavily in the process, which they would have looked down on people their age for doing so and found that person odd for not settling down.

I've always found women in the midwest 35+ to be much more open-minded in dating an edgier guy than even the "party" type of woman in her 20s.

You've also said before that Houston has a very crazy nightlife. I sort of wonder who those people are, since it does seem like a family-oriented-get-married-young sort of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles