Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times

Advertisements

Sorry but the OP sounds a bit uppity, LOL. No offense, I understand.

Look girl, LA is not like what you see in the movies anymore. It's not Boyz in the Hood or Menace 2 Society. You're not going to get shot walking down the street wearing the wrong color or what not.

LA is seedy. It's a very neo-noirish town and very old. Not even West LA is all new and shiny like most of Dallas which has shopping town centres galore. So you're going to have to get used to a real urban grit.

Not even the suburbs of LA can get away from this urban feel. There isn't a huge disconnect from the city and the suburbs like there is in TX. I am from Houston and inner city Houston vs the suburbs were like night and day difference. Not so in LA, where you will find all the eclectic oddities of LA there too.

If you're used to being a bit away from all the rush, try Studio City or Sherman Oaks. Or even Valley Village where I live. It's nice and just a freeway away from it all. Studio City next to the hills is so gorgeous and driving down Laurel Canyon in between the Canyons gets you to WeHo in style. Breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM

29 posts, read 53,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Sorry but the OP sounds a bit uppity, LOL. No offense, I understand.

Not even the suburbs of LA can get away from this urban feel. There isn't a huge disconnect from the city and the suburbs like there is in TX. I am from Houston and inner city Houston vs the suburbs were like night and day difference. Not so in LA, where you will find all the eclectic oddities of LA there too.

If you're used to being a bit away from all the rush, try Studio City or Sherman Oaks. Or even Valley Village where I live. It's nice and just a freeway away from it all. Studio City next to the hills is so gorgeous and driving down Laurel Canyon in between the Canyons gets you to WeHo in style. Breathtaking.
LOL! Yes, I guess I'm slightly uppity. I just want a normal, all around area. I'm looking forward to getting out there and really feeling the city. I've heard Studio City is pretty nice, but it's getting near North Hollywood which I heard is heavy in gangs. Never heard of Valley Village but will defiantly " Google " it in a minute.

Also thanks for the crime map, that helps alot.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I've heard Studio City is pretty nice, but it's getting near North Hollywood which I heard is heavy in gangs. Never heard of Valley Village but will defiantly " Google " it in a minute.

Half of North Hollywood is sketchy and that half is no where near Studio City.

You will never have to venture to Saticoy or Lankershim past Van Owen or worse, Victory.

Studio City is a helluva nice burb complete with high end eats, good little bars, and yes, celebs. All next to the hills in a relatively crime free zone. It's also cheaper than West LA. For 2k you will get a really nice place.

I live in Valley Village which is in North Hollywood (no matter how much they say otherwise), right next to Studio City. It's older but safer and have never had any problems. Plus I am on Laurel Canyon which I take to WeHo when I do not want to deal with the freeways.

Sherman Oaks is the nicest suburb in the Valley, on par with West LA. If I had gobs on money I'd live there or Studio City.

There is nothing to fear. I would say Dallas and Houston were more dangerous cities relative to their size. LA has really downgraded as far as crime and like NYC, is one of the safest major cities (relative to it's size of course).

You want a crime map? Never venture past Van Owen on Lankershim. That's it. If you've reached Saticoy, turn the car around and hit the peddle to the metal.
If you ever catch yourself in Pacoima or Panorama City, well, then I hope you enjoyed life with no regrets.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,309,577 times
Studio City has higher property crime than Santa Monica or Brentwood.

In Santa Monica at night, if I were a single lady, I'd feel comfortable jogging around. Not in Studio City. Studio City is too close to bad areas. Santa Monica is surrounded by the beach and Brentwood. (Exception being southeast end by venice)

Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Studio City has higher property crime than Santa Monica or Brentwood.

In Santa Monica at night, if I were a single lady, I'd feel comfortable jogging around. Not in Studio City. Studio City is too close to bad areas. Santa Monica is surrounded by the beach and Brentwood. (Exception being southeast end by venice)
What bad areas? I've never felt unsafe in Studio City.

As for Santa Monica, some of the areas bordering Venice are a bit sketchy.

Brentwood is real nice though.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:08 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,669 times
I always liked the way that "old" LA looked compared to everywhere else. Midwest/east coast cities "grit" just screams of despair.

In LA, the grit feels like it has some connection to Film Noir.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
I always liked the way that "old" LA looked compared to everywhere else. Midwest/east coast cities "grit" just screams of despair.

In LA, the grit feels like it has some connection to Film Noir.
Exactly. There are ghettos don't get me wrong. But a lot of people are mistaking the older noir elements for ghetto, especially people from the heartland where old does mean ghetto, and ghetto means total despair. In LA a lot of these older neighborhoods are just old but nice working class neighborhoods.

Hollywood is a prime example of that old noir grit that might be mistaken for a total "dump".

Silver lake, despite its colorful streets, eclectic shops and nice gardens, would totally deter someone used to typical city setups.

That's why OP you have to really forget about what you think of as of city, because LA is totally unique.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
As an LA native who now lives in Dallas, you guys have given some good advice. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is weather. I'm guessing after Dallas and its convection-oven summers, the OP probably wants to feel some of that sweet California relief. She's less likely to get that in Studio City and the San Fernando Valley in general than on the Westsode (Santa Monica, West LA, Miracle Mile) as the ocean breezes are blocked from getting into the Valley by mountains.

The microclimates of Southern California are not something a lot of Dallasites would be familiar with as, when it's hot in North Texas, it's hot everywhere. There are no mountains or big bodies of water to provide any kind of variety within the Metroplex like you get in LA. The difference between, say, Woodland Hills and Manhattan Beach on the same day can be dramatic. The difference between Plano and Duncanville here in North Texas, not so much.

So, if that's important to you, OP, stick with the Westside. In terms of weather, the Valley will feel closer to Dallas than the Westside will.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:30 PM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
As an LA native who now lives in Dallas, you guys have given some good advice. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is weather. I'm guessing after Dallas and its convection-oven summers, the OP probably wants to feel some of that sweet California relief. She's less likely to get that in Studio City and the San Fernando Valley in general than on the Westsode (Santa Monica, West LA, Miracle Mile) as the ocean breezes are blocked from getting into the Valley by mountains.

The microclimates of Southern California are not something a lot of Dallasites would be familiar with as, when it's hot in North Texas, it's hot everywhere. There are no mountains or big bodies of water to provide any kind of variety within the Metroplex like you get in LA. The difference between, say, Woodland Hills and Manhattan Beach on the same day can be dramatic. The difference between Plano and Duncanville here in North Texas, not so much.

So, if that's important to you, OP, stick with the Westside. In terms of weather, the Valley will feel closer to Dallas than the Westside will.
Yep. It's not unheard of to have 30-40 degrees worth of difference in temps between the Valley and the coast.

There are wide differences between both climate and the vibe/culture in different parts of L.A. Different strokes for different folks. Anybody moving to L.A. from another part of the country needs to research and then check out all of the various parts of L.A. and then decide what appeals the most to them. The L.A. area is like nowhere else in the country in that a relatively short drive can take you somewhere that feels like a different PLANET than another part of L.A. you've been in. Topography, climate and demographics create an incredibly diverse array of neighborhoods and communities. Because of that, probably the worst thing someone like the OP can do is zero in on a few different areas and then completely disregard the other suggestions.

From the original post: " Please tell me the real deal on where to live, that's affordable, fun, dining, singles, shopping, but classy, beach nearby, fitness, etc. Also what's the singles scene like for women in their 30's. Thanks!!"

There can't possibly be a better place in the entire country for someone fitting this profile than what I've suggested. Money magazine agrees with me. Yet I have a feeling the suggestion will be completely disregarded nonetheless.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:33 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Yep. It's not unheard of to have 30-40 degrees worth of difference in temps between the Valley and the coast.

There are wide differences between both climate and the vibe/culture in different parts of L.A. Different strokes for different folks. Anybody moving to L.A. from another part of the country needs to research and then check out all of the various parts of L.A. and then decide what appeals the most to them. The L.A. area is like nowhere else in the country in that a relatively short drive can take you somewhere that feels like a different PLANET than another part of L.A. you've been in. Topography, climate and demographics create an incredibly diverse array of neighborhoods and communities. Because of that, probably the worst thing someone like the OP can do is zero in on a few different areas and then completely disregard the other suggestions.

From the original post: " Please tell me the real deal on where to live, that's affordable, fun, dining, singles, shopping, but classy, beach nearby, fitness, etc. Also what's the singles scene like for women in their 30's. Thanks!!"

There can't possibly be a better place in the entire country for someone fitting this profile than what I've suggested. Money magazine agrees with me. Yet I have a feeling the suggestion will be completely disregarded nonetheless.
Probably because she has to drive to the Westside for work most of the time. Right now from Manhattan Beach to West Hollywood is a 57 minute commute just to go 21 miles: Manhattan Beach, CA to West Hollywood, CA - Google Maps
The advice is being ignored because it is bad advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles