Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Your friend's a fool! It's a huge difference. The city services, police, parking, fines, voting, benefits, etc etc vary greatly between City of WeHo and city of LA.

On Sunset Blvd WeHo begins at Doheny Rd and ends at Crescent Heights.

On Santa Monica its from Doheny to La Brea, the longest stretch

On Melrose it ends by La Cienega. Beverly is confusing but also short.
I guess... He's just a renter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Going back to the MB/Compton divide....

Compton is actually more like TEN miles away from Manhattan Beach but Hawthorne, which has some issues of its own, is next to Manhattan Beach.

It needs to be remembered that maps are representations of reality projected onto a smaller (at least on a website) flat surface. These things have something called SCALE. That needs to be taken into consideration as well, especially if they're cheaply done internet maps. It's the opposite of what your driver's side mirror would say: Objects are FARTHER away from each other than they appear, in this case.

But seriously, a young white female is probably statistically the person LEAST likely to get shot or bothered in the Greater L.A. area.

Pay a visit. No matter WHAT place you decide to settle on as a place to live, you will be taking a chance. Please don't allow popular culture (represented by TV shows, regional news media's selective reporting) sway you. You must see for yourself. I have been stuck or visiting at times in some not-very-good areas and got great help/response from the locals. Just come and see for yourself.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,244 times
A family member of mine moved to the LA area when she was in her early 30s. Like BarcelonaFan, she spent early years in the Memorial area of Houston (a safe, green forested and affluent place, but not exciting). By now, she has spent 3 decades in the Torrance area and has never regretted it. And that's despite having commuted to work in Inglewood for many years, even during the Rodney King affair. I think her only big concern has been whether she can afford to stay there after she retires, not whether she will be a crime victim.

Despite not being in one of the more expensive places mentioned above, and not being quite as close to the beach, she loves the weather and hopes to never leave it. Her experience suggests to me that perhaps someone like you can still find a nice place to live there w/o necessarily having to pay more to live in Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica. Or in the more far-away and hotter places.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 AM

79 posts, read 178,986 times
I think the OP might be being a little unrealistic with her requirements. I'd say West Hollywood, or Santa Monica for her, but both those places have homeless people. Whatever. She'll figure it out once she takes her surveillance trip to L.A. this winter. I live in Santa Monica just off San Vicente, which is about as high end and safe as you get in L.A., and I still see, every once in a while, homeless people wandering down my street. Moreover, there was a rash of break-ins late last year. L.A. is a real city, and with real cities comes crime, and homeless. It's just something you're going to have to get used to.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM

29 posts, read 53,430 times
How far is Calabasas from the West Hollywood area. What about traffic from that area and are there any shortcuts?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnbccbs View Post
How far is Calabasas from the West Hollywood area. What about traffic from that area and are there any shortcuts?
A good 25 miles or so. The 101 is the most direct route from West Hollywood (any of the arterial northbound strees to the 101 and then "north". Traffic is not good much of the time. No real shortcuts. Scenic drives that will not really save you time but no shortcuts...some roundabouts.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
A good 25 miles or so. The 101 is the most direct route from West Hollywood (any of the arterial northbound strees to the 101 and then "north". Traffic is not good much of the time. No real shortcuts. Scenic drives that will not really save you time but no shortcuts...some roundabouts.
Is there a lot of bumper to bumper traffic going into the West Hollywood Area? What's the travel time?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,113,049 times
Traveling east/south along the 101 into L.A. BLOWS. And that's what you would be doing coming from Calabasas. And there is absolutely zero social scene for a single person who's just moved from out of state in Calabasas. Oh, and, you're just a few miles from some gang country in the Valley. I mean nothing you should worry about in Calabasas. But, if the other places get culled because they are within 10 miles of a seedy area, like, Calabasas, like, should be culled too. You can find some less than desirable areas if you go 10 miles in the wrong direction from Calabasas. Like, being within 10 miles of a bad area is, like, awful. LMAO.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
Traveling east/south along the 101 into L.A. BLOWS. And that's what you would be doing coming from Calabasas. And there is absolutely zero social scene for a single person who's just moved from out of state in Calabasas. Oh, and, you're just a few miles from some gang country in the Valley. I mean nothing you should worry about in Calabasas. But, if the other places get culled because they are within 10 miles of a seedy area, like, Calabasas, like, should be culled too. You can find some less than desirable areas if you go 10 miles in the wrong direction from Calabasas. Like, being within 10 miles of a bad area is, like, awful. LMAO.
First I'm not understanding the aura of attitude. I've never been to LA, coming from Texas, I only know what I see on Tv and read. I ask alot of questions because this is a big move for me by myself and I just wanted opinions from the locals. Ten miles is a big area. I really won't know until I get there. Some of the post in this thread have kinda scared me away, some have excited me. It is, what it is.....being a single woman I'm just taking precautions. I read every post and will continue to weigh all my options and continue to research and ask a million questions. One thing I do know is that any city in LA beats Dallas hands down. LOL! All I can do is feel the city and I'm sure I'll be fine.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcnbccbs View Post
Is there a lot of bumper to bumper traffic going into the West Hollywood Area? What's the travel time?
Yes bumper to bumper traffic. Before my wife got a job downtown she worked in Calabasas and reverse commuted from Hollywood (that's how much we didn't want to live somewhere as boring and ultra-yuppified as Calabasas). She had about a 45 minute drive to Calabasas - remember this is a reverse commute and from Central Hollywood, which has the 101 running right through it, we were a 2 minute drive from the on-ramp. From Calabasas to WeHo you are probably looking at 45-55 minutes to get over either the Sepulveda or Cahuenga Pass (depends on if you stay on 101 or take the interchange at 405 - really depends on what part of WeHo you are going to). Then tack on about 15-30 minutes of surface road traffic from the freeway into West Hollywood, because there are no freeways running through that part of LA. So I'd say you would be looking at between an hour and an hour and half commute (with the occasional commute that is even longer due to an accident or something).

Right now it is 55 minutes at 10 AM: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&c...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg

And be prepared to do some driving to get to any remotely interesting nightlife - the West Valley is not exactly known for that.

Oh one other thing - Calabasas might be one of the hottest parts of the metro area. It was consistently 10 degrees warmer in Calabasas then it was in Hollywood (which is about middle-of-the-road for heat in the LA area - the beaches were usual 5-10 degrees cooler than Hollywood).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles