Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 24,079 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are debating on whether we should move to LA or NYC. We are in our mid twenties. We currently have a house in the suburbs of Dallas. My grandmother moved in with us last year due to her health. So she would have to move with us as well has our two cocker spaniels. We have a nice 2000 sq foot home in Flower Mound which is a suburb and it is on a half acre. I know where ever we move it will not be the same for the price we pay. We have a budget of 7500 a month currently and i know this will go up when we relocate. I have my own business which will move with me and I commute currently to LA and NYC. I freelance in production and come out to LA and NYC quite often. We are trying to figure out if we want to move to NYC and keep one car or move to LA and have a bigger place with both vehicles. What are the advantages of moving to LA? What are the taxes to consider that might be different? Currently I spend 2.60 per gal of gas and about 1600 a year for both vehicles on full coverage insurance. I just want to find out what I should consider when moving and the costs associated with it. I travel there often but I rent a vehicle when I am out there or stay close to the place I am visiting. Thanks for any help you can give me

Last edited by alwaddle; 10-14-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Because
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 01:39 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
7500 is a lot per month. You should definitely move to LA b/c you will afford more land. And, if you have two dogs, you will have a backyard for them to play in. In NYC, you would have to walk them all the time and then when you go to work they will be locked up inside all day. In LA, you can leave them outside where they can run around and play. Also, if your grandmother moved in with you b/c of health reasons, LA would be better b/c you would have two cars and she wouldn't have to walk as much. You will transition better to LA also, since we are more suburban like Dallas.

Gas here varies from 2.30-3.00 a gallon maybe in just one day at one gas station.

What kind of climate do you want? Do you want the beach, the desert, the valley where it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, the hills which are close to the ocean but can get quite warm in the winter, urban type living, family type in case you want children, do you want an island?

My favorite area of LA is Westwood/Wilshire Corridor. It is zip code 90024. Everything is within minutes-downtown LA, Century City, the best shopping the world, the beach, movie theaters, Universal Studios, everything!!!

The next best place is Rancho Palos Verdes which is a secluded, hilly area in southwestern LA county. If you look at a map of LA, it is that peninsula on the SW side. Another good area is Manhattan Beach. El Segundo is great for families with children. Catalina Island has the city of Avalon. It is a great city, quite touristy, but beautiful. It's expensive, but with that kind of money, you could live anywhere in LA (almost).

Old 10-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks for letting me know. How is the state income tax? I currently make about 7500 a month but might make more since I am moving to a place with a higher cost of living. I don't pay state income tax so I am not sure if that is a huge cost? I heard that you have to do alot when registering your vehicles and such. Do you know much about that? Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
I'm actually a teenager so I know nothing about our taxes. I do know that to get a car registered here, it needs to go through vigorous smog tests.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaddle View Post
Thanks for letting me know. How is the state income tax? I currently make about 7500 a month but might make more since I am moving to a place with a higher cost of living. I don't pay state income tax so I am not sure if that is a huge cost? I heard that you have to do alot when registering your vehicles and such. Do you know much about that? Thanks for all your help.
California income tax is between 1-9 percent of your income. You make more you are in a higher tax bracket.
I would check the California DMV site for info on bringing a car into the state. There used to be a pretty high charge for it but that was found to be illegal so I don't know how they are doing it now. You will have to take your car to the DMV so that they can look it over and verify the VIN. It isn't a big deal just time consuming.
Back to your original question about moving to LA or NYC. It seems an odd thing to be asking. Like asking should I eat and orange or a steak for dinner? They are both food but completely opposite types of food. You have been to each place, they are so different. To me it seems like a personal preference. What sort of life style you like? That is something only you would know......

Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 43,933 times
You should find a city that is less chaotic. Do you and your husband get stressed out? Ever feel depressed every now and then? Ever feel overworked or overwhealmed? If you want to live a long prosperous life, you would have to find a city that is free from all the big city troubles like finding parking spaces. Congestion free roads. Markets with isles that aren't packed with people in the way. Etc. Consider the quality of life issue. It would help to find a smaller city than LA or NYC. Try spending two weeks in a city like San Antonio or St Louis and see how your perspective might change about it.

Humans need to spread out more instead of concentrating in a few regions of the country. It's counter-intuitive but it makes perfect sense.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM

413 posts, read 1,845,751 times
We are moving to LA in February. Only YOU would know where you want to live. What city appeals to you more? NYC gets cold and has snowy winters. We have been to both cities, my wife even lived in NYC for a few weeks- she hated it. She did like LA though because things are more spread out as she put it. NYC everyone is crammed into a tiny area and the building go up, up up. LA and NY are 2 different worlds completely. They are nothing even remotely alike. The vibe is not even close to matching. Jessemh431 put it pretty straight. LA will give you more elbow room than NY. However, if you like the super fast walking and crazy cab drivers and higher prices than LA I would say go to NY. Just my input. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:16 PM

I live in Dallas currently and I am used to chaotic cities because I commute to LA and NYC and several other big cities often. I lived in SA for 15 years so I know all about San Antonio. I want somewhere fresh and somewhere that will I will benefit from. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles