Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,630,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by double-double View Post
I am still not sure just how convenient my work from home schedule really would be. I have heard day jobs are tough to keep for the trying actor because of last minute auditions and even small gigs taking up enough time to keep you from fulfilling the responsibilities of your day job. Working from home gives me flexibility in that regard, but certainly not immunity from unemployment.
If the job's not stable, DON'T make the move.

PDF, I write both. Started the screenplay thing five years ago but they're just adapted from my stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
If the job's not stable, DON'T make the move.

PDF, I write both. Started the screenplay thing five years ago but they're just adapted from my stories.
It wasn't me who was asking, but I think munchitup was questioning the whole hobby thing.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:59 PM

10 posts, read 15,439 times
My job is stable, but sometimes I have obligations during working business hours and ignoring them could put me in hot water. At some point blowing off those obligations to go on auditions or whatever could possibly get me fired.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times
Quote:
My job is stable, but sometimes I have obligations during working business hours and ignoring them could put me in hot water. At some point blowing off those obligations to go on auditions or whatever could possibly get me fired.
Then as stated, do NOT do it. Because last minute things in regards to acting WILL come up.

Is this just a dream for you? Because not only acting wise do you not seem confident, but work wise too. Are you ready to put all your chips on the table while being so unsure?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,876,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It wasn't me who was asking, but I think munchitup was questioning the whole hobby thing.
It was me... I was just curious if it was screenwriting. I'm actually not following this thread at all haha Got reeled in with the bananas

Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It was me... I was just curious if it was screenwriting. I'm actually not following this thread at all haha Got reeled in with the bananas
Whoops. Yeah I screenwrite but it's mostly a here and there thing. I want to take advantage of some opportunities that sprung as a result of me being in LA, so I am getting into it more. I want to stay level headed and pursue my career goals first rather than get all dreamy pursuing a life as a screenwriter. Even though these opportunities are once in a lifetime things, I still do not want to get my hopes up. Everyone around is telling me to go full force and to some extent I agree I should, but there is a rational side to me that always looks at stats, numbers and probability (I was an econ/poli sci major so everything to me is stats). If the odds aren't on my side to more than a 100% shot then I don't venture out of my comfort zone. Then again, I take it that all ventures that paid off were risks?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Everyone around is telling me to go full force and to some extent I agree I should, but there is a rational side to me that always looks at stats, numbers and probability (I was an econ/poli sci major so everything to me is stats). If the odds aren't on my side to more than a 100% shot then I don't venture out of my comfort zone.
This is me 100%.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM

8,334 posts, read 13,472,237 times
Quote:
This is me 100%.
Well then, you just wasted 137 posts and a 4-page thread my friend! If you ain't got the b@lls to take risks, the ambition, the "go-get" attitude, you shouldn't ruin your current setup.

Nothing worth having comes easy in this life.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Nothing worth having comes easy in this life
I am starting to understand what that really means.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Well then, you just wasted 137 posts and a 4-page thread my friend! If you ain't got the b@lls to take risks, the ambition, the "go-get" attitude, you shouldn't ruin your current setup.

Nothing worth having comes easy in this life.
I didn't waste a thread. After all that is pretty much what my original post asked--what are my odds? There are a large number of people who responded that think it takes more than talent and ambition to be a successful actor. They think it takes a great deal of luck. Then there were other responses stating hard work and talent will get you there without necessarily needing luck.

Though if we took a tally, I bet there would be a tie between those two perspectives in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles