Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

So I noticed over the years how a large proportion of celebrities have moved to Malibu and purchased really nice homes and then abruptly moved out after a few years to live in another area of LA. Why? Is there something wrong with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Takes a long time to get anywhere else in LA

Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times
there is no exodus out of malibu - it's as exclusive an address as it's ever been. the simple answer to your question is that celebrities move around the LA area all the time. they'll "trade in" their house every few years for various reasons: a different property they've had their eye on for a while has finally become available; they decide they want to live closer to the studios, their ex/kids, the clubs/nightlife/shopping, or whatever; they had no intention of staying in that property long term and have decided to "flip it" for a profit; boredom; or just because they can. frequently, the buyer will be another celebrity - they often have the same real estate agents, so the properties tend to stay in the hands of people in the industry.

also keep in mind that many celebrities and the uber wealthy have a primary home on the westside or the hollywood hills (or nyc, or london, or wherever) and a summer home in malibu. these people can afford to have multiple estates within close proximity of each other. down in orange county, kobe bryant owns three multimillion dollar homes in newport beach alone. why? beats me, it's not my money.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:41 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
also keep in mind that many celebrities and the uber wealthy have a primary home on the westside or the hollywood hills (or nyc, or london, or wherever) and a summer home in malibu. these people can afford to have multiple estates within close proximity of each other. down in orange county, kobe bryant owns three multimillion dollar homes in newport beach alone. why? beats me, it's not my money.
Or a home in Sun Valley, ID; Park City, UT, etc.

They frequently maintain multiple homes. There's no general exodus from Malibu.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
The threat of mudslides, fires, wave damage can get a bit old.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 AM

671 posts, read 1,190,810 times
The late Johnny Carson had his Malibu home for Friday-Mondays, but stayed at his Wilshire condo near Westwood/Beverly Hills highrise Tues-Thurs because it was closer to the studio. I think David Letterman let his long time girlfriend keep the Malibu home in their separation. So, Dave was a Malibu resident, and then not. Those Malibu homes really do change hands a lot. I think part of it is that it is so beautiful and appealing to live on the beach, but some celebrates come not to like the disadvantages to living in Malibu and so they sell. However, there are still some longtime celebrity Malibu residents who prefer its difficult to access location and small town feel and "boring" pace of life there. These tend to be the adult celebrities who want to relax. But many do have alternate housing closer to the studios when they are working.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Those poor celebs...it must be an epidemic.. !

Old 01-30-2013, 08:05 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times
Interesting thread ...

I can't help but think that beach erosion is, well, eroding property values. What good is beachfront property if there is no sand?

Malibu Beach Erosion: Broad Beach in National Spotlight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles