Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
It's always amusing when someone asks about a certain area that we need to consider someones sexual preference, read gay, as being important, and, in addition, that being gay then means that a certain "urban"vibe is needed in order to find happiness. Let me ask you, you can't find contentment as a gay person in, oh, a bedroom community without an "urban" vibe, whatever the hell that means? Or are you stuck in some make believe world of media spin and PR which tells you how to live and what to think? I guess it's nice to know that gay people aren't any different than breeders, they're just as delusional as anyone else....

I agree with most of what you posted....side question, though. Isn't breeders a derogatory term for straight people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I agree with most of what you posted....side question, though. Isn't breeders a derogatory term for straight people?
Seriously, who is going to have their feelings hurt for being straight??? I know I would just laugh if someone called me a "breeder".

Anyways, Hollywood is very gay-friendly. I have many gay neighbors in my building and in the neighborhood.

And as I mentioned earlier, you can live car-free here fairly easily (though I admittedly live car-light). Post office, banks, theaters, restaurants, bars, dry cleaning, barbers, coffee shops, grocery stores - basically all of these and more within about a half-mile radius. The only issue with Hollywood to USC is that the train ride is a little bit long - probably 30 minutes from Hollywood / Vine to 7th Street / Metro and then maybe 15 more minutes to USC?

Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,267,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefanmyj View Post
I'm going to jump on this thread because it seems like it's the most relevant to my situation. I currently live in Manhattan and have been offered a job at USC. I've been spoiled in Manhattan because I haven't needed a car. Hell, I've lived here my whole life -- I don't even have a license! And that's never been an issue. I've been to LA several times, so I know that it's car culture. I also know that if I live Downtown, I can commute to USC by train. If I live Downtown, will I be OK without a car for basic things like a bank, post office, grocery store, and yoga studio? Is that part of LA bike friendly? I'd love to hear from folks who live Downtown now, or who have experience with the USC/Downtown commute. Are there furniture stores nearby? Does Ikea deliver? Any - and all! - stories are welcome! Thanks!
You could definitely get by with no car between Downtown Los Angeles and USC. In fact, if this comes to frution Figueroa Plan Pits Bikes Against Cars - Los Angeles Downtown News - For Everything Downtown L.A.!: News it will be a very simple bike ride. As it is, bicycling in Los Angeles is much easier than Manhattan.

A car, however, opens a lot of the area to recreation and other things. Lot of things up the coast or in the mountains are much easier by car.

But for your regular commute, no car needed at all. In fact, even if you had a car, it would be easier to take the metro or bike than driving.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:40 AM

249 posts, read 443,808 times
Try South Park. It's a burgeoning part of Downtown and you have L.A. Live and the train a stone's throw. One of the safest downtown neighborhoods too. Furthest away from the dregs.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Seriously, who is going to have their feelings hurt for being straight??? I know I would just laugh if someone called me a "breeder".

Anyways, Hollywood is very gay-friendly. I have many gay neighbors in my building and in the neighborhood.

And as I mentioned earlier, you can live car-free here fairly easily (though I admittedly live car-light). Post office, banks, theaters, restaurants, bars, dry cleaning, barbers, coffee shops, grocery stores - basically all of these and more within about a half-mile radius. The only issue with Hollywood to USC is that the train ride is a little bit long - probably 30 minutes from Hollywood / Vine to 7th Street / Metro and then maybe 15 more minutes to USC?

Ok then, since we'll make sure there are no double standards here, since "breeders" is OK, then fairie should be perfectly fine too.

After all, who is going to have their feelings hurt for being gay?

...The amount of gays that hate on straights in SoCal is appalling. And yes, it can be very offensive.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM

925 posts, read 1,334,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the12ronin View Post
Ok then, since we'll make sure there are no double standards here, since "breeders" is OK, then fairie should be perfectly fine too.

...The amount of gays that hate on straights in SoCal is appalling. And yes, it can be very offensive.
Does this really happen

Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
Quote:

It is only okay if you spell it right.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
Does this really happen
Absolutely it does. Though gays will do their level best at keeping the masses fooled and keeping it framed as if they are the ones being persecuted.

The reality check is this. I lived in LA for a long time and the gays have the numbers. The people dealing with the double standards thrown at them.

So yes, it really is true, though every rainbow advocating persk. Will decry me as wrong and misleading. Rest assured. You are being had.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
It is only okay if you spell it right.

I did. That's the ye olde tyme way.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,303 times
Quote:
I did. That's the ye olde tyme way.
Really, I thought the ye olde tyme way was faerie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles