Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:57 PM

23 posts, read 103,797 times

Advertisements

I recently came across a l959 Compton High School yearbook (the El Companile) and was shocked to see that of the 450 or so senior pictures about 63% were white, only 20% black and the rest Latino. I do not live in LA. but am interested in its history. I recently read "My Blue Heaven" a history of Southgate and also DJ Waldies "Hply Land" his memories of growing up in Lakewood. The way Los Angeles city and county developed is truly fascinating. Any body know when Compton became predominately Black and then Latino? Is there a good hisstory of the city? and how about a good history of the post war suburbanization of the whole region? Thanks, LAQUESTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,422,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
I recently came across a l959 Compton High School yearbook (the El Companile) and was shocked to see that of the 450 or so senior pictures about 63% were white, only 20% black and the rest Latino. I do not live in LA. but am interested in its history. I recently read "My Blue Heaven" a history of Southgate and also DJ Waldies "Hply Land" his memories of growing up in Lakewood. The way Los Angeles city and county developed is truly fascinating. Any body know when Compton became predominately Black and then Latino? Is there a good hisstory of the city? and how about a good history of the post war suburbanization of the whole region? Thanks, LAQUESTS.

I've become pretty fascinated with Los Angeles' history since having this dream, vision, quest to move there. I love picking up any tidbit of information about it's growth & development. The issues of white flight & ethnic diversity are of greatest interest to me.

I hope lots of people with positive input post information here. Thanks for the start!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:23 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Compton became black in the mid-to-later sixties. It was a national trend. Google "White Flight" and "blockbusting". Compton was one of the most egregious examples of blockbusting.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-31-2007 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
vbc

2 posts, read 34,567 times
I would also love to learn more about compton

Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
vbc

2 posts, read 34,567 times

I would like to live in the L.A area one day and take a ride through compton

Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 AM

225 posts, read 1,090,349 times
It is probably not the definitive history, but Nicolas Vaca's book "The Presumed Alliance" has a chapter on the ethnic transformation of Compton from mostly white to mostly black to mostly Latino (but still black-run). Vaca also talks about Lynwood, which, as he points out, is further along the same path.

I reckon the best single book about LA is still Reyner Banham's "Los Angeles: the Architecture of Four Ecologies". Skip the bits that are actually about architecture. Dated but brilliant. The other big book is Mike Davis's "City of Quartz"--a kind of dystopian riposte to Banham. It was hugely influential in the early 1990s. City of Quartz is littered with errors but there are some clever observations in there. The difficulty is separating the good stuff from the idiotic.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
I wish our Compton past residents were posting. A poster here once enumerated the various changes that had occurred there during her lifetime, from security precautions when she was growing up there, to visiting relatives there now. It was a clear-headed, matter of fact post, and it detailed a lifestyle you'd not wish on anyone.

There are quite a few corporate headquarters in Compton, with the workforce gratefully vacating before dark. I've gone to business go-sees there as well, and would not want to be there after dark. I think perhaps folks that want to "tour" are a trifle naive.

Regarding the demographic question of the OP, out of towners forget the impact of the 1965 Watts riots as well. It made everyone afraid of the area (Compton abuts Watts) with any successful residents, whatever race, getting out when they could. The area now is becoming solely Latino, because of its low-priced attraction to immigrants both legal and illegal.

Here's a telling detail in a quote from Wiki, in reference to black flight post riots as well as previous white flight: As Compton's tax base deteriorated, it raised municipal taxes, which only worsened the problem. This resulted in creating a situation more favorable to lower income residents than higher income ones. Many of these new residents also benefited from the Section 8 rent-subsidy program. As a result, the need for public services increased dramatically, putting a further strain on the city's budget.

Lesson? Make it financially impossible for middle-class/working class homeowners to stay, and voila, slum.

Banham's book (35 years old) commits the usual British person's nonstop rhapsodizing about the L.A. of olden times, but his historical investigation is good, with a great map of where L.A. train public transit used to go (answer: everywhere in the SoCal basin.)

Old 01-23-2008, 01:48 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
not sure of dates, but you can look at census data for that... census.gov. but compton, lynwood, huntington park and the other "south central suburbs" became less white and more black or brown as of the 60's as most have stated. less housing restrictions were a big factor. before the de facto and de jure color line between south central was alameda on the east and imperial to the south. after the riots whites felt that blacks were getting too close and so they fled. some resisted and formed gangs that would look for blacks to beat up, but mostly they left. (side note: many black gangs at the time were created in response to the white gangs). later in the 70's and 80's the influx of immigrants, by amnesty or asylum, sought cheap housing which to that point had been mostly black. by this time browns began moving into south central as some blacks moved out to the nicer areas, but then browns were also moving into the same areas as blacks. the difference is that blacks reached the rungs of the middle class ladder before the browns. blacks looking to move out of the hood moved to inglewood and cpt and lyn. they also created enclaves in baldwin hills and in the crenshaw/wash area. the brown folk then followed the blacks into the nicer parts (ing. lyn. cpt.) which had already been "broken" in by blacks. interestingly the browns staked major claims in cities like maywood and HP(which have historically been blue collar given the proximity to vernon. inglewood and cpt were the nicer newer areas for whites [research age of homes] whereas the workers lived in places like SG and HP closer to the factories. nice but not as nice.) the whites fled and now these areas are black, but mostly brown. the whites of the 70s fled to areas like downey and ceritos and lakewood, but now these areas are lookin a lot more colorful than before. there are some great maps that show the demographic shift of LA county as groups rearanged themselves thru out the LA basin. really interesting. La almanac is also a good source. good luck in your search. another mike davis book that might help you is magical urbanisms. you can also wiki the cpt and get more info. good luck

Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Default Historical Compton Photos

1933 (earthquake)

Last edited by Charles; 01-23-2008 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM

7 posts, read 40,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laquests View Post
My father born in 1943 lived his whole life in SoCal as have I. His recollection of Compton back in "the day" was that it was the HOT TICKET for mid to upper middle class whites to live. I will assume this meant late 40's early 50's since someone has already mentioned the predominance of blacks in the area in the 1960's.

I never got an elaboration on the HOT TICKET comment so I don't know if it meant good prices on homes or amenities, etc.

I really LOVE the photos whoever uploaded them -- thanks.

I was born in Long Beach and while growing up/young adult we didn't venture into Compton--- there just wasn't anything we wanted to do in the area -- no real hot spots known to us, etc.

We always went up to Hollywood where there was a club on every corner --- mind you this is high school for me which means late 1970's.

Bekka
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles