Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 06:14 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,518 times

Advertisements

Weather and scenery vs. jobz and square feetz. Which one wins?

Old 06-04-2013, 06:21 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Weather and scenery vs. jobz and square feetz. Which one wins?
Los Angeles

Old 06-04-2013, 06:22 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah but paying more for an equally crappy area sucks

The fact is most people just can't afford to live in the nice parts of la

Unless they live with roommates , which isn't very desirable either.

Might be hard for people that make high salaries to grasp this .

I agree with you that people are willing to pay more if they can afford it .. Of course some people just don't let la and would refuse to live here even if they can afford a nice area .
A lot of people are like me and have decent salaries and live in older apts in nice areas like valley village, north Hollywood and Burbank. It beats living in nicer areas in Houston.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:23 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah but paying more for an equally crappy area sucks

The fact is most people just can't afford to live in the nice parts of la

Unless they live with roommates , which isn't very desirable either.

Might be hard for people that make high salaries to grasp this .

I agree with you that people are willing to pay more if they can afford it .. Of course some people just don't let la and would refuse to live here even if they can afford a nice area .
Not everyone in Houston can afford to live in the nice areas either. What you describe is hardly an L.A. phenomenom. It's not like Houston is devoid of poverty and dicey areas. The crime stats refute that.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
While the big Texas cities have their parts of town that don't feel like Texas - the prevailing culture is still undeniably Texan. Even those urban neighborhoods in Houston/Dallas are nothing like LA.
^^^This. You can count skyscrapers and density all day long, but the culture is sooooo different that you can't compare the two, IMHO.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:06 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,518 times
I live in Houston and imo, the two cities are nothing alike. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Shouldn't the culture in Houston be Texan, considering its in Texas? Don't see how that's different than any other city in any other state. The culture between the two cities are different, but there are still some similarities. Houston is one of five cities (the bay, la, nyc, and dc being the others) to have a Pacifica radio station. The art car parade started in houston. I mentioned the no zoning earlier. It's pretty live and let live in Houston. People hype up Austin as that place in Texas, but Houston was the original and still is.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:59 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,789 times
^^^^

You are starting to sound like a brochure...a radio station makes a city nothing like another city. It's the same as when they mention the same Broadway shows come to town.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,962,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
^^^^

You are starting to sound like a brochure...a radio station makes a city nothing like another city. It's the same as when they mention the same Broadway shows come to town.
Hahaha don't come here with that. How is it the same thing as Broadway shows going to town? I only brought that station up to show that houston is more than just this "Texan". Besides, I think being home to one of those stations shows what kind of city it is. Broadway shows go all over the place. All I see are stereotypes in this thread and you not looking at the broader scope and instead nitpicking. Why was this thread started anyways? Because barcelonafan read some of metro matt's posts in the Texas section (not even from Houston), and then tried to generalize that as all Houstonians. There are some entertaining reads here tbqh.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,312 times
Houston definitely has a large population of people barely scraping by as well. When I taught in Southwest Houston, I regularly got kids who moved in from California and I always wondered why if they moved from a super expensive place like LA, they would end up in a slummy place like Alief. So they lost the scenery and were still scraping by. Odd, but maybe they came from a part of LA more run down than SW Houston which seems unlikely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles