Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 AM

347 posts, read 542,326 times

Advertisements

Any local residents have any experience dealing with tickets on the new toll road that used to be the car pool lanes? I just visited LA this weekend in a rental car and got some flashing lights (assuming it's the photo taken of my license plate). I drove on it at night with 2 people in the car but I didn't notice the toll road (express lanes signage saying you need a transponder until the next day when I saw it better in daylight). So I think I'll be getting 2 tickets going to the rental car company. I'd like to take care of the tickets before the rental car pays for it b/c the rental car company will charge me more for the convenience fee.

On the stupid site for the Metro Express Lanes, they say I need the ticket # but I don't have that and the only way to get it is if I call the rental car company but the rental policy is pay it themselves and charge me ticket price plus convenience fees which would be more than the fine.

Any body have any good advice? Can I buy one of those transponders now and add the rental car plate to the account and have the fine taken that way? At night at that time it would have been free except I didn't know about this new policy transforming carpool lanes into pay lanes.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Call the toll authority. I was able to have almost $900 in violations reduced to $80 with one phone call.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreRJ View Post
Any local residents have any experience dealing with tickets on the new toll road that used to be the car pool lanes? I just visited LA this weekend in a rental car and got some flashing lights (assuming it's the photo taken of my license plate). I drove on it at night with 2 people in the car but I didn't notice the toll road (express lanes signage saying you need a transponder until the next day when I saw it better in daylight). So I think I'll be getting 2 tickets going to the rental car company. I'd like to take care of the tickets before the rental car pays for it b/c the rental car company will charge me more for the convenience fee.

On the stupid site for the Metro Express Lanes, they say I need the ticket # but I don't have that and the only way to get it is if I call the rental car company but the rental policy is pay it themselves and charge me ticket price plus convenience fees which would be more than the fine.

Any body have any good advice? Can I buy one of those transponders now and add the rental car plate to the account and have the fine taken that way? At night at that time it would have been free except I didn't know about this new policy transforming carpool lanes into pay lanes.

TIA
You say you were just visiting LA? What the heck do you want a transponder for? The damage is done already. Why go through all the hassle and expense of setting up an account with a toll company in a city where you're just visiting, just to avoid the rental company's surcharge? Doesn't make sense (and it wouldn't work anyway. There are set-up charges and monthly fees for those things. Besides, it's ex post facto.

I wouldn't sweat it. Those tickets aren't automatic. I've absent-mindedly blown past the toll booths in OC before, and skated. You might too.

I'd just give the rental company a heads-up, and wait and see. If the fine comes, just pay it and chalk it up to experience.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
I have a SF Bay Area FasTrak transponder. Can that be used in SoCal toll roads, too?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I have a SF Bay Area FasTrak transponder. Can that be used in SoCal toll roads, too?
Yes and no. It can be used to pay tolls, but the FastTrak from LA County Metro has a switch on it where you set the number of riders. If you have enough people for a carpool, it's free to use the HOT lanes with the LA County transponder. You can use the lanes with the SF Bay Area FasTrak, but you will always get charged the fee, regardless of whether you have a carpool or not.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:04 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Yes and no. It can be used to pay tolls, but the FastTrak from LA County Metro has a switch on it where you set the number of riders. If you have enough people for a carpool, it's free to use the HOT lanes with the LA County transponder. You can use the lanes with the SF Bay Area FasTrak, but you will always get charged the fee, regardless of whether you have a carpool or not.
...in which case silverkris needs to message or call LA Metro and make sure they are charged the proper amount. At least I assume there is a way this can be worked out with Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles