Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,100 times

Advertisements

Los Feliz Diva,

Which assets in CA would you say are overlooked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 01:04 PM

58 posts, read 200,461 times
I also moved to the Northeast from LA, and I don't miss LA one bit. The Northeast is where literature, history, journalism, colonial architecture, four seasons and charming scenery, slower pace of life, work ethic, and manners outweigh the superficial banalities of LA.

I live in PA, and the people here are genuinely nice compared to the "fake" niceness of Southern CA. The people I met here in PA are real, not like Southern CA and Angelenos in particular. I once drove a car in PA with a wrecked front end for one week going to work, and nobody batted an eye as I drove on the streets. In contrast, Southern Californians would laugh and stare at me (I experienced this myself in LA) because the car is a symbol of self and personality in LA.

I don't miss southern CA at all. I'll take the four seasons, the snow, the culture, and the real people of PA over the superficialities of southern CA.

People in the Northeast are hard to get to know at first because they do not seem outwardly friendly. But once they get to know you after a certain time, they become your friends for life.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post
i will admit that weather can make one introspective.. and perhaps more creative.

i can't see however that it's a smugness we have. i'm not smug about california, i think as a state we have a lot of valuable assests that we contribute which are often overlooked. but i can still appreciate what the other states have to offer.

i have experienced all over the US. and no offense. i hate snow just as much as when i'm in montreal, or switzerland, or parts of bavaria or austria!

snow sucks whether i'm in the US or abroad.. and that's why i live here. and more power to people who don't mind snow for a goodly portion of their year.

i'm not smug, i just know a climate that isn't suitable to me when i experience it.
LosFeliz..I totally get where you are coming from. My in-laws are cold blooded creatures. They cannot tolerate the cold so they live in Bakersfield. We also lived in Bakersfield which was the worst experience of my life. Not just because Bakersfield, IMO is one of the ugliest places in Ca. but the HEAT!!!!OMG! How do people tolerate living in 100+ for months at a time and are landlocked? My body temp runs very warm so colders climates are better for me. The rest is just culture,finances,people,etc. Plus my car insurance is so low here! And registration is $50 for two years! No sales tax on clothes and 20 minutes away is New Hampshire that has no sales tax period. Drive a little further and you are having fresh lobster in Maine for lunch. Cape Cod is an hour and there are plenty of beaches that are 30 minutes from here. We have a ski resort 10 minutes from here too. So, you see...I feel we have it all.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:49 PM

630 posts, read 2,227,061 times
Puffle ..

Yes we now have so many good things ... and yes we still wear heels ...LOL
You can't deny it ... I saw you in them tonight !!!

Old 12-26-2007, 07:01 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
I also moved to the Northeast from LA, and I don't miss LA one bit. The Northeast is where literature, history, journalism, colonial architecture, four seasons and charming scenery, slower pace of life, work ethic, and manners outweigh the superficial banalities of LA.

I live in PA, and the people here are genuinely nice compared to the "fake" niceness of Southern CA. The people I met here in PA are real, not like Southern CA and Angelenos in particular. I once drove a car in PA with a wrecked front end for one week going to work, and nobody batted an eye as I drove on the streets. In contrast, Southern Californians would laugh and stare at me (I experienced this myself in LA) because the car is a symbol of self and personality in LA.

I don't miss southern CA at all. I'll take the four seasons, the snow, the culture, and the real people of PA over the superficialities of southern CA.

People in the Northeast are hard to get to know at first because they do not seem outwardly friendly. But once they get to know you after a certain time, they become your friends for life.
You speak the truth, The best thing we ever did was move out of the pits of SoCal to the south. And what you say seems to hold true here also.
In California you can bet that group of thugs they call the chp would had you for that wrecked front end.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 AM

210 posts, read 744,921 times
Default trade

I would gladly trade my house and location in Southern California for a spot in Northern Indiana, any takers?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
I would gladly trade my house and location in Southern California for a spot in Northern Indiana, any takers?
Lots...

http://www.mtgfoundation.com/2006/12/thousands-cashing-out-of-expensive-golden-state.html (broken link)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2007/09/cashing-out-lea.html (broken link)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...15goldpot.html

http://marinrealestatebubble.blogspo...-with-lot.html

Old 12-26-2007, 05:00 PM

210 posts, read 744,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Lots...

http://www.mtgfoundation.com/2006/12/thousands-cashing-out-of-expensive-golden-state.html (broken link)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laland/2007/09/cashing-out-lea.html (broken link)

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...15goldpot.html

http://marinrealestatebubble.blogspo...-with-lot.html
Great, all the newspaper ads you listed were from 2004 and before, where were you a few years ago???????

Old 12-26-2007, 05:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allisonguru View Post
Great, all the newspaper ads you listed were from 2004 and before, where were you a few years ago???????

Thousand Oaks. Sold and moved from there in June 2006, at d(price)/dt = 0, the peak.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaah, these posts are making me homesick.

Puffle, I'm sorry to be late to the party on this one...I haven't checked in at citydata for a long time...but just wanted to give a shout out and a wave and to tell you that your place is beautiful, and I'm glad you're enjoying the seasons. Tell the northeast that JerZ said "hi".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles