Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times

Advertisements

On a related note: The state is to blame for our dumb/restrictive early last call rules. A relic of the World War II era...we don't use typewriters or drive Packards anymore.

And I don't care if there are people that don't want to stay out past 1am. Let them go home while everyone else has some fun (and spends money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 PM

44 posts, read 76,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
LA's big thing are gimmicky bars in up and coming areas including (but not limited to):

1. Break Room 86: '80s themed. K-Town.
2. Harvard & Stone: Burlesque themed. Hollywood.
3. Sassafras: New Orleans Themed. Hollywood.
4. The Bungalow: Bar inside of a beach house. Santa Monica.
5. La Descarga: '40s cigar bar themed. Hollywood.
6. Good Times at Davey Wayne's: '70s living room themed. Hollywood.
7. Lock N' Key. K-Town.
8. The Edison: Turn of the Century themed. Downtown.
9. Basement Tavern: Two story bar inside of a restored 1910s hotel. Santa Monica.
10. Big Foot Lodge: Colorado/lumber Jack themed. Atwater Village & Culver City.
11. Villain's: New Orleans themed. Downtown.

Essentially the city's trendy bar scene is turning into one big spread out Downtown Disney.
Lock N' Key was pretty cool - took me a while to find the right door knob to get in. Went during the Ramen burger craze. Met a couple of laid back chill bartenders, newcomers to the state. Good conversation during the late afternoon in the middle of the week.

If I were in the area again I'd go back.

Btw, the bartenders told me about an NYC bar called PDT - Please don't tell. A bar that requires reservations? Not sure if LA has a place like that..yet.

Last edited by racing2015; 04-10-2015 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
yeah, but even if bars could open unregulated , like lets say sunset blvd in the palisades, or san vicente in brentwood, they wouldnt get enough business to survive.
I find that hard to believe considering that cities in the U.S with less bar licensing restrictions have bars in every type of neighborhood (rich, middle class, working class etc). You see this is NYC and DC.

You wouldn't have Irish pubs popping up in the Palisades but you'd have some kind of nightlife that fit into the local neighborhood culture.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:50 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing2015 View Post
Lock N' Key was pretty cool - took me a while to find the right door knob to get in. Went during the Ramen burger craze. Met a couple of laid back chill bartenders, newcomers to the state. Good conversation during the late afternoon in the middle of the week.

If I were in the area again I'd go back.

Btw, the bartenders told me about an NYC bar called PDT - Please don't tell. A bar that requires reservations? Not sure if LA has a place like that..yet.
I've been to Lock N' Key twice (It's somewhat in my neighborhood). You would think that if they went to all that trouble to make the decor what it is (and it is really nice inside) they would at least get beer on tap. Nope. Just bottles and like $10+ for a beer. No thanks.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:58 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
San Vicente has many restaurants with a bar section. People seem to enjoy them just as much as a regular drinking hole establishment.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
BTW, does anybody else think it's silly having Q's and two other bars all adjacent to each other, at Wilshire and Westgate? I understand capturing market share and it's the same reason more than one gas station can at times be found at an intersection, but still, three bars in a row?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It doesn't have even a medium sized city nightlife. Compare the bar situation in L.A. to let's say Portland. Or Syracuse and Buffalo.
I get the criticisms of LA's bar culture, they're not without merit. But this post is completely ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:09 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I get the criticisms of LA's bar culture, they're not without merit. But this post is completely ridiculous.
Yes, agreed. The OP is no stranger to this sort of territory....

Old 04-11-2015, 12:39 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I find that hard to believe considering that cities in the U.S with less bar licensing restrictions have bars in every type of neighborhood (rich, middle class, working class etc). You see this is NYC and DC.

You wouldn't have Irish pubs popping up in the Palisades but you'd have some kind of nightlife that fit into the local neighborhood culture.
The nightlife that would fit into the Palisades is a restaurant with a full bar that would close at 10 pm on weekdays, 11 pm on weekends

There's very little demand there for late night nightlife.

The only late night drinkers there are usually underage high school kids.

A few younger professionals live in apartments off Sunset, but they usually go to santa monica to party, and don't mind doing so.

There's also one bar in the palisades/santa monica border - the shore.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:41 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
San Vicente has many restaurants with a bar section. People seem to enjoy them just as much as a regular drinking hole establishment.
Exactly... brentwood locals generally don't need to be out till last call. Most have jobs or commitments that require them to be up early. So a 10, 11 pm closing time is appropriate. Plenty of stiff cocktails can be had at Tavern, bar toscana, baltaire, katsuya, brentwood restaurant, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles