Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 56,842 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Sorry if I have offended anyone with my subject like , but it's mainly for my wife's company.

I am moving to LA with my wife from Hartford, CT. My wife cannot work as I am on an H1 visa.

I am trying to find some areas around LA, near El Segundo (if possible) where there are a few married Asian Indian who are also on H1 so that my wife can have some company.

Can someone suggest areas/apartment complexes.

Regards

Kartik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikashah View Post
Hi,

Sorry if I have offended anyone with my subject like , but it's mainly for my wife's company.

I am moving to LA with my wife from Hartford, CT. My wife cannot work as I am on an H1 visa.

I am trying to find some areas around LA, near El Segundo (if possible) where there are a few married Asian Indian who are also on H1 so that my wife can have some company.

Regards

Kartik
South Asian areas in LA County? Palms (on LA's West Side) and Artesia (in southeastern LA County)

Old 01-23-2008, 02:38 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
i would say artesia. thats what first comes to mind. not the closest to el segundo, but it is definitely accessible. im sure you will be happy

Old 01-23-2008, 02:42 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikashah View Post
Hi,

Regards

Kartik
What sort of work are you doing in El Segundo?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Where is Little India? Is that in Artesia?

I believe there are Indians all over LA -- not just in one certain area. You may have more luck finding them through your church or temple.

If you are open for meeting people from all over the world, that's what you will find in LA. It's not very segregated here. Everyone mixes all together -- but it's a lot of fun too!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:46 PM

119 posts, read 881,025 times
Little India is in Artesia. A mile strip of Pioneer Blvd Between South St and Artesia Blvd. Its a very popular shopping district. Artesia, is 10 miles northeast of Downtown Long Beach and 25 miles from El Segundo. True, most Indians live all over. Many live in Artesia, Cerritos, Cypress, La Palma; Buena Park, Lakewood, the far east side of Long Beach; Los Alamitos, Fullerton and Anaheim. From Many use the the San Gabriel Freeway (I-605) to the Century Freeway((I-105) west which end in El Segundo. (Others use the San Diego Freeway (I-405) but it overcrowded. Cerritos, Artesia, and most of the SouthEast LA County / North West Orange County area more affordable the South Bay/ West Los Angeles area. The best places to live include Cerritos, Cypress, La Palma, Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, and the far east side of Long Beach(East of Redondo Ave to the city limits) theres at least $250,000 to over a 3 Million Dollar difference between the West LA/ South Bay area vs. SouthEast LA County/NorthWest County area. Hope this heps.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:50 PM

59 posts, read 557,658 times
Although Artesia/Cerritos is the home of Little India, it's not like all of the Indians live there. Most Indians I know do their shopping in Artesia (groceries, clothing, music, etc.) but don't actually live there. There are Indians pretty much all over LA. Of course, not as many as you'd find up in the bay area.

One of the big Hindu temples is in Calabasas, near Malibu. If you like the temple crowd, then a visit to the temple is a good idea. It's super crowded on weekends, and you can meet lots of people there.

Also, there are social groups too like Tamil Sangam, Kannada Koota, etc. They have their own parties and events where you can meet people of similar Indian backgrounds.

You may even meet coworkers who are similar to yourself.

Oh yeah...and there's almost always a good sized Indian community anywhere near universities, usually getting graduate degrees. Check out some of the bulletin boards at universities, and you'll see info about cultural events where you can meet new people.

And a small warning/bit of advice. I have no idea why, but there are a LOT of Indians in the LA area who sell Amway products. They can always spot the new guy in town. They seem very friendly at first, then they ask if they can come over to your house sometime (on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening) then they try to get you to join their Amway group. Those people are not looking to be your friend...it's just business for them. Just be careful about anyone who seems a little too friendly or somehow has everything in common with you or is just too eager.

If you want to make friends with other Indians, it's actually pretty easy in LA.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 56,648 times
Default asian iNDIAN on HIB Visa L.A

Hi

Sorry, my reply has nothing to do with your query,but would like to know what wud bw the survival monthly income,for family of 3. Is 60k P.A. gud enough to move into L.A. .? We plan to move to L.A for a short duration 24 -36 months .

Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I know it doesn't help too much. There is Indian community in Canoga Park, centered around Topanga and Sherman Way. I know I responded to an inquiry like this before (use the search tool above). We'd go to the all you can eat lunch buffets around there.

india OR indian OR delhi - Google Maps

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Like everyone has been saying Artesia is the heart of the indian community in the area, so that area and surrounding cities(lakewood, cerritos) have the densest population. Artesia has some fairly inexpensive apts and condos for rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles