Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,517,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What's the average price of gas in LA now? I saw two prices: $3.30 and $4.30, in different areas of LA.
Today's average gas prices for the U.S., California and Los Angeles - LA Times
That link says average is 2.88 for L.A , 2.78 for CA and 2.14 nationally.

I think cheapest i've seen is maybe $2.70 around my area(Valley) , I remember when I used to work in Brentwood..gas always used to be a lot more expensive over there.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:04 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,449,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Today's average gas prices for the U.S., California and Los Angeles - LA Times
That link says average is 2.88 for L.A , 2.78 for CA and 2.14 nationally.

I think cheapest i've seen is maybe $2.70 around my area(Valley) , I remember when I used to work in Brentwood..gas always used to be a lot more expensive over there.
OK, not too bad then. I always get a laugh out of watching the LA-set movie Collateral (2004), they stop for gas and it's only 2 bucks.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,517,629 times
I can remember it being over $4.00 not too long ago too.

Here is a historical chart for anyone interested
Historical Gas Price Charts - Los Angeles Gas Prices

Old 11-17-2015, 08:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I have a better job and making more money but my rent has gone up $500/mo for the same size apartment. So that's how I look at it. I'm also a Boston transplant so I don't care too much about LA sports really. My Pats just keep winning every year so that is good. I was pulling for the Dodgers this year but they are poorly run. They should have given up prospects for Price or Hamels at the trade deadline

And if you were in Boston last year you would have experienced a 100 inches of snow. The previous winters and the one they're getting(it is already in the 20s there) will not be fun.

Boston is hardly inexpensive. I know someone who has a one bedroom for $1,800 and they're not in Boston, but about 30 miles outside Boston. They were told there will be rental increase next year in addition it used to $25 a year to have a pet in your unit. It will now be $80 a year per pet(they have two cats)in 2016.

And no offense, because I'm originally from NY, but I have never found people in the Boston area to be overly friendly or polite compared to what I find in Southern CA. I think the weather has something to do with it.

The ONLY time(and it has happened twice) that I ever encountered rude airline people at the counter was at Logan. Curt and abrupt for no reason.

It's not like you moved from Little Rock, Boston isn't cheap by any means. There is a reason MA is called Taxachussetts.

Look I can't think of more beautiful place for part of the fall than New England, and love that crisp air(like we got here yesterday) but the winters are brutal and long, a brief spring, a hot/humid summer, about 4 weeks of nice fall colors, and than brutal winter again that can go till well into April.

No thanks.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:28 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,271,632 times
I don't get around to all parts of Los Angeles but downtown is much better these days as things get developed. And with the number of cranes going there now, it looks like more improvements for years to come.

The tech scene has gotten some serious traction all through the city but most notably in the west side, beach cities, south bay.

The subways continue their reach.

Real estate prices have continued to go up (I realize not all will see this as a positive)

LA seems like it has a lot going for it to me.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,673,077 times
Maybe if you've been living permanently in L.A. for the past few years. Otherwise it seems the homeless situation, trash and litter getting worse some areas.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:33 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,836,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
And if you were in Boston last year you would have experienced a 100 inches of snow. The previous winters and the one they're getting(it is already in the 20s there) will not be fun.

Boston is hardly inexpensive. I know someone who has a one bedroom for $1,800 and they're not in Boston, but about 30 miles outside Boston. They were told there will be rental increase next year in addition it used to $25 a year to have a pet in your unit. It will now be $80 a year per pet(they have two cats)in 2016.

And no offense, because I'm originally from NY, but I have never found people in the Boston area to be overly friendly or polite compared to what I find in Southern CA. I think the weather has something to do with it.

The ONLY time(and it has happened twice) that I ever encountered rude airline people at the counter was at Logan. Curt and abrupt for no reason.

It's not like you moved from Little Rock, Boston isn't cheap by any means. There is a reason MA is called Taxachussetts.

Look I can't think of more beautiful place for part of the fall than New England, and love that crisp air(like we got here yesterday) but the winters are brutal and long, a brief spring, a hot/humid summer, about 4 weeks of nice fall colors, and than brutal winter again that can go till well into April.

No thanks.

I'm not comparing LA to Boston. I'll always be a Bostonian in my heart but I will never go back. It is expensive, tax burden sucks, local government sucks, local laws suck. You were not allowed to get a tattoo in MA until 2000 and you couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday until 2003 and gun laws are even worse than CA as hard as that is to believe. People are rude in Boston and generally more racist then even the deep southern states but at least people are up front about it there where as here people seem to be dicks in a more passive aggressive manor.

We will be moving to CO, OR or WA depending on where I can get a job. All seem like better options than CA now while still providing all the things we like about CA. We would prefer to just go to MT or AK or something but jobs and logistics make that unlikely

Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,575,624 times
Quote:
I'm probably the only person that enjoyed the days of $5/gallon gas because it improved the traffic situation since all the deadbeats couldn't afford to drive around all day
You're going with that? Not traffic being causally related to employment?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:48 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,575,624 times
Quote:
I have a better job and making more money but my rent has gone up $500/mo for the same size apartment. So that's how I look at it. I'm also a Boston transplant so I don't care too much about LA sports really. My Pats just keep winning every year so that is good. I was pulling for the Dodgers this year but they are poorly run. They should have given up prospects for Price or Hamels at the trade deadline
Neither Price nor Hamels make any difference when Grienke and Kershaw both had losses in the playoffs. And an organization that traded Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields is not likely to give up the top pitching prospect in baseball for a 13-8 guy in Hamels, or David Price who is now a free agent.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 11,815,852 times
I miss the old Cameo theater in downtown and those food joints that seemed to open all hours. Used to watch cheap movies there late at night and ate a greasy hamburger and fries at an eatery nearby afterward while watching the nightlife unfold. Things were simpler then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles