Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:03 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,666,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I've read some of your LA and California-bashing posts on the Colorado forum, so a bit surprised at the late-stage whining.
Oh man. I went to go read that thread on the Denver forum. Thank god she's leaving LA we don't need people like that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 12:08 PM

64 posts, read 81,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
It's not normal because your initial premise is wrong. You can get a really nice house in a good area of LA for 1-1.5M. I.e. not a tear down in a sketchy neighborhood as you suggest.

If you work in entertainment why are aren't you looking to buy a house in Burbank, Glendale, La Crescenta, La Canada, Altadena etc.

Okkkk. lol. Let me clarify. THIS for almost 1.4 in La Canada/Flintridge, isn't my idea of 'nice,' 'cute', nor something I would EVER spend my hard earned money on, let alone an astounding $1.4 MILLION DOLLARS.

4340 Beulah Dr, La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011 | Zillow

$1.5 and 1600-2000 square feet? Yeah, um…no thank you. We could buy a place south of Ventura blvd in woodland hills, pay insane property taxes, be built into the hill, and come in under 2500 sq ft , with zero safe yard for my kids etc…but that's just not my bag. On top of it, when a semi decent house comes on the market, it's over bid on, and many times paid for in cash, off the market within the same 2 day span.

I'm not going to over pay or over bid for a house I don't even halfway like. Maybe our definitions of what is 'nice' and what is 'worth' $1 mil or $1.5 are vastly different.

Now I did see a couple of homes in Glendale for around $1.5 that were cute and one was even 3500 sq ft, decent size. But again, regardless that we qualify for $3mil+ loan, it doesn't mean we want to spend that on our home. It's just not how we roll. We have a home in the Caribbean, so we spend parts of the year there.

Could we afford to stay in LA? Sure. Is the property in LA worth what it costs? To us? That's a resounding ABSOLUTELY NOT. Some ppl are completely fine, spending $1+ mil on a mid grade home, in an ok neighborhood, with sort of crappy schools in a city like this, more power to them. We on the other hand, are not. I'd rather spend UNDER a million, get a better home, that I actually love, vs settle for, have more money in my pockets and financial freedom to continue to live the life I want to live.

Not to mention, I have issues with earthquakes. Again, maybe you don't and it's just part of 'living the dream in Cali.' For me, being a midwesterner, and experiencing just the mid level ones that I have since living here, I quickly learned it is just not for me. Again, personal preference. We will still be here throughout the year due to work, so we aren't completely OUT of LA so to speak, but our money is, and that's what matters most.

Also, waking up this morning to LAUSD closing all of the schools because of a terror threat, wasn't really fun either. But that's par for the course with big city living, I know.

My affinity for LA doesn't come from the city as much as it comes from it being a habit of mine to live here lol. As I said, I'm a creature of habit, and though this has never been the place that I've seen myself staying in long term, it still rattles me a bit, that I'm actually leaving, though technically, we will still be here many times throughout the year. So all in all, my purging is nothing more than that. Just a purge of nerves b/c I'm making a semi-major change in my life. Nothing more or less.

It seems you enjoy LA and love the lifestyle, cost of living, etc…that's great. Most people truly don't and are only tolerating it for various reasons. So it's refreshing to see someone who actually enjoys it, the struggle, hustle, etc. More power to you man!

Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,666,124 times
Cool. Here's one in Altadena for 1.5 M. It's only 3,900 square feet so that's probably too small for you.

3845 Old Toll Rd, Altadena, CA 91001 | Zillow

I get it. You're an unhappy person and think that moving to Denver will magically allow you to find a community. It won't as you will bring all your baggage there and eventually find yourself in the same situation, but this time blaming it on Denver instead.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,698 times
So you don't like Los Angeles/California, you're moving to your "dream come true" home in Denver, but you don't feel comfortable and you're not sure what the problem is...

Not exactly sure what you want us to tel you. I find it odd you posted this thread here in the Los Angeles forum. If you're so unhappy, move and don't feel so nervous about it. If you feel you've made the right decision, then leave without regrets.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 977,688 times
Some boasting and some whining and the rest yada yada yada. Some people can't just leave and be happy. They have to throw one last jab before closing the door.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:16 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Cool. Here's one in Altadena for 1.5 M. It's only 3,900 square feet so that's probably too small for you.

3845 Old Toll Rd, Altadena, CA 91001 | Zillow

I get it. You're an unhappy person and think that moving to Denver will magically allow you to find a community. It won't as you will bring all your baggage there and eventually find yourself in the same situation, but this time blaming it on Denver instead.

Here, I'll drop the mic for you.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:25 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
I was always excited about leaving a place I didn't like...not nervous.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie'sMom View Post
Obviously you didn't read ALL, and SOME of what you read doesn't state the entirety of my thoughts, as I'm a much more diverse person than the 2000 words posted on city-data can convey. I wasn't whining. I was writing my thoughts. Mostly in a self deprecating manor. Having a particular view point about a city that I've resided in and been successful in for the latter part of a decade, isn't bashing. It's simply having an opinion. And usually, when one moves, relocates, makes a drastic change, most people reevaluate their 'why's/why nots,' their pros and cons, etc…those are usually the first steps in making a change, whether it is relocation, a new job, ending a relationship or whatever. I'm not who I was in my 20's as a single woman compared to who I am today as a married mother in my thirties. My needs have changed, my outlook has changed and with that comes this new change. You can look at it as whining, I simply look at it as dialoguing or writing out my thoughts. People may read it, people may not. People may like it or not. For me, as a writer, sometimes just getting my thoughts out of my head and onto paper or in this case, the screen, is many times, just the cathartic release I need in order to breathe, let go and enjoy. If that doesn't resonate with you, well….that's the beauty of life. Differences in perceptions. Good day!

Who could, you need to learn to edit. I started to read your post. Way too long.

If you want to get a lot of responses, learn to give the Reader's Digest version.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:39 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,311,478 times
The phrase TL;DR was invented for posts like this.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:44 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Some boasting and some whining and the rest yada yada yada. Some people can't just leave and be happy. They have to throw one last jab before closing the door.
Well, y'know I get it. But c'mon Angelenos, we know about the self-valorizing people do in relation to Los Angeles and its residents. It's fine. OP, I'm happy you've found a place to go.

Now, you do seem a nervous type. But put in perspective, you have gained an awful lot of personal security working in a niche of a place you hate. You can be grateful for that. 99.999% of people here are at quite a distance from that Hollywood scene you lived. I grew up in the working class L.A. burbs, am frugal and value money just as you do, and am happy you achieved what you have.

I also lived in Colorado, so good luck. It wasn't home, but it was nice, though to be honest that's really about all I can say. Still, people really are not so different everywhere unless your self-perception makes you desire that. As a writer, how would you write yourself in L.A.? Not L.A. but you, warts and all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles