Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 05:06 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly, you don't even live in LA and are not an LA native. Yet apparently in the 3 whole years you lived there (golly, what a lifetime!) you think your an expert on Mexican food in LA

This is exactly why blow ins from out east get on California residents nerves. They think they know everything about LA because they've "been all over". LA is not San Diego dude, it's not a city that you can just "figure out" after a couple years.

So yea, continue that little false narrative in your head that there is no good Mexican food on the West Side, LoL. Actual California NATIVES know you can find good Mexican food anywhere.

It's not NYC, where generic Chipotle yuppies think they are eating Mexican. Mexicans set up shop in LA's white areas because they know they can make good money. There really is not a neighborhood or city in CA that is short on good Mexican food.

Finding good Mexican in LA is like finding a good cheese steak in Philly, or a good hot dog in Chicago, or good Crabs in Baltimore, or good BBQ in Memphis. It's literally everywhere:ham d:

I'm not going to bother naming the dozens and dozens of good Mexican joints in the West LA area. You will just lie and say you went there, and that it wasn't good. Pretending to be some sort of connoisseur of Mexican Cuisine. Which of course, is a tired act played way too many times on City-Data.
Three years is LONG enough to recognize long lines of BS and false claims.

It is not not prominent on the West Side.

Actually it's funny reading your post. Including your underdeveloped sentences and grammar.

Define "everywhere".

Is it 5 Mexican restaurant per block? 10 per square mile? 50 Mexican restaurants per neighborhood? What density of Mexican restaurants would mean that Mexican restaurants are everywhere in LA? It seems you can only use ill defined terms that mean absolutely nothing. Of course when all you go on is OPINION, it makes sense that all you can use is the most vague language possible.

And I did not say that there is no good Mexican food on the West Side. I said you did not have that many Mexican restaurants on the West Side comparatively, because the area is not a Mexican or Latino majority population. Reading comprehension isn't your strong point I gather.

People in Latin neighborhoods in NYC know what real Mexican restaurants, but you simply cannot seem to absorb that there a big Mexican populations outside the Southwest in other parts of the country.

I've been all over the COUNTRY and outside of the country. So I'm not limited to California or any other one state. You know people with class and the means to travel and live in other places tend to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
See this is just plain being closed minded to a ridiculous degree.

LA does not equal Mexican American, Mexican American culture, or Mexican American food. Nor does the Southwest.

The fact that some people here can't even be aware of their own biases or question them speaks a lot about the intellectual capabilities of some people.

To definitely declare that there can be no good Mexican food in the South, NY, or elsewhere is a massive declaration and a completely childishly irrational one. You've eaten at every Mexican restaurant in LA and outside of LA to be able to come to this conclusion?

I never said that... But I have been trying to find a great Mexican place in NO for two years. They all suck. The Mexican and food in general in ATL is nowhere near the quality in LA. At all.

I said all the south...but if the biggest city in the south has nowhere near the quality of mexican as any city in the South West I'm going to assume that places w/ much lower Hispanic populations are going to be somewhat lacking as well. Its the truth no bias needed.

That's not being closed minded that is speaking the truth as somebody who is from Los Angeles who used to eat Mexican all the time.

You will feel the same way in a year after living in L.A. trust.

Here are some spots when you finally get to L.A. to compare and contrast.

Los Cincos Putos -- get the carnitas

Guisados

Taquieria Los Anaya

Here is a spot on the westside next time you go. It's a maricos taco truck so they have great fish tacos.

El Hamecla Mariscos Truck

Last edited by jamills21; 02-19-2016 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 07:46 AM

Things that grind my gears about Mexican Food in NO/ATL:

1. I ask for a Carne Assada Taco-- "You mean beef?"

"Yes, I mean Beef."

2. Loading my tacos w/ sour cream and cheese. Even though I didn't ask for it.

3. I have yet to find one place that serves a respectable lengua anything.

4. How much the Mexican is "Americanized" everywhere in general. I don't care if Taco Petes came from L.A. to ATL....

5. Not the regions fault....but finding any mariscos spot is freaking difficult. Most people in the South have never even heard of a Michelada.

6. Tryna find a great Tostada Place...just forget about it.

7. Finally, the best mexican food I had in ATL was off buford highway & the best Mexican i ever had in NO was in a fancy restaurant....In L.A. you don't have to even think about finding Mexican like I have to in other cities. Just cause you have it doesn't mean its great. Just no...I don't even try to find AMAZING Mexican here. I'll just go back home for that.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part about Mexican in L.A. It's much cheaper AND its way better.

Last edited by jamills21; 02-19-2016 at 08:09 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 07:52 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,669,414 times
As I said.. theres mexicans in the south??

Last edited by owl6969; 02-19-2016 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
As I said.. theres Mexicans in the south??
In ATL there is a decent sized population. Around 500,000 Hispanics (not sure what % is Mexican) in the metro area. But like, just no.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
But like, just no.
Thought so.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,017,051 times
The population of Mexicans dwindles outside the southwest and begins to mix with the restof the Hispanic population. The only cities that I know that have been profoundly influenced by the Mexican American culture are LA, San Antonio, Phoenix, El Paso, Houston, Chicago. That's going in order by influence too. These spots will have the best Mexican food in the country. And the only thing I can remotely agree on with NYWriter is that the Mexican food on the Westside, while good is third in line to the variety and authenticity of the food you'd find in East LA/Central or DTLA, and the Valley. After tasting the food of the southern regions it Mexico I don't think I can go back to just eating regular fish tacos.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:32 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly, you don't even live in LA and are not an LA native. Yet apparently in the 3 whole years you lived there (golly, what a lifetime!) you think your an expert on Mexican food in LA

This is exactly why blow ins from out east get on California residents nerves. They think they know everything about LA because they've "been all over". LA is not San Diego dude, it's not a city that you can just "figure out" after a couple years.

So yea, continue that little false narrative in your head that there is no good Mexican food on the West Side, LoL. Actual California NATIVES know you can find good Mexican food anywhere.

It's not NYC, where generic Chipotle yuppies think they are eating Mexican. Mexicans set up shop in LA's white areas because they know they can make good money. There really is not a neighborhood or city in CA that is short on good Mexican food.

Finding good Mexican in LA is like finding a good cheese steak in Philly, or a good hot dog in Chicago, or good Crabs in Baltimore, or good BBQ in Memphis. It's literally everywhere:ham d:

I'm not going to bother naming the dozens and dozens of good Mexican joints in the West LA area. You will just lie and say you went there, and that it wasn't good. Pretending to be some sort of connoisseur of Mexican Cuisine. Which of course, is a tired act played way too many times on City-Data.
I wouldn't continue to go back and forth with that person, nor take anything they say regarding this subject (something so blatantly obvious) too seriously. Just something else absurd to add to the list of the other absurd things they've said.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,796,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part about Mexican in L.A. It's much cheaper AND its way better.
Indeed. I can get tacos for one dollar each, a burrito or quesadilla for five dollars, a mulita for two dollars, horchata for a buck fifty, etc. down the street on the corner of my house. The cooks are from Oaxaca, Mexico.

Speaking of that, street taco stands and taco trucks are a thing now. I swear, I see one on every corner now.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Indeed. I can get tacos for one dollar each, a burrito or quesadilla for five dollars, a mulita for two dollars, horchata for a buck fifty, etc. down the street on the corner of my house. The cooks are from Oaxaca, Mexico.
Still ain't as good or real authentic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles