Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,301 times

Advertisements

I'll admit it.
It was a major mistake moving here. The whole area is so saturated with everything. And the COL is RIDICULOUSLY INFLATED. Trying to rent an apartment here is like trying to get 300k down payment to buy a house!
EMPLOYMENT! UGGH! Jobs I was doing back east that paid $20/hr or so only pay close to minimum wage here. Construction, roofing, framing, flooring, plumbing...etc.

Here are my pros and cons of living in L.A.

Pros:

1. The women. The women here are super gorgeous.
2. Entertainment/food
3. Being close to the beach/ocean. Although that could be a con when a tsunami comes in.
4. The weather, meaning no snow and ice or below freezing temps.
5. Different races/nationalities of people. As opposed to seeing just my own race every day back east.

Cons:

1. The employment situation blows chunks.
2. Inflated COL.
3. Traffic. Personally, I wouldn't mind the traffic if only the employment situation wasn't so decayed.

Los Angeles is like a good looking machine that is constantly broken down. That is just my perspective.

Last edited by Rkstar71; 06-08-2016 at 02:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
I used to like living here a lot more than I do now. I went to a funeral service in Orange County last Saturday, and got caught in traffic both ways. It took me an hour and half to get home (60 west, 101 north at 1:30 p.m.). There's a reason I hardly ever go anywhere! I'm tired of ridiculous drivers who do everything but push pedestrians across the street when the drivers want to turn.

I'm tired of the endless amounts of people wherever I go. Going out to eat? It's like planning a military mission. If we want to eat at 7:00, we have to wait. Even if we make a reservation we have to wait for a few minutes, and some restaurants don't take reservations. (I sound like an entitled brat, don't I?)

My commute has gotten a lot worse. If I move again, it'll be west of the 405, because these days the southbound 405 regularly backs up to Sepulveda on the west 101 by 6:00 a.m. It's terrible. Instead of getting on the 101 at Van Nuys, I often backtrack and get on at Woodman because it's easier.

I'm dreading the summer weather out here in the Valley, although it's still better than being in Redding or in Phoenix or Las Vegas!

I want peace and quiet. I can't afford to have either one until I retire, which is at least seventeen years away. I'm clinging to my job with both hands, because there's no way I could live here without it, and I can't retire at 52. I would certainly outlive my savings!

L.A. is probably more palatable when you're younger. I'm too old to want to be here now, that's all.

As for L.A. vs. New York, New York has the same "big city" problems that L.A. does, though with better transportation and worse weather, but the cost of living in both cities is so high that I wouldn't want to live in either one.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Having lived in many places all over the USA I will say that we have it very good here in LA. Yes, there are negatives, but the negatives in most other places are much worse than what we experience here.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
For me it's the Weather, the Water and the Work. The weather isn't perfect, but it's close. I have some 5 year old coats that I've worn maybe a dozen times total. And the cars don't rust. I have an 11 year old Porsche that looks like the day it was made. That wouldn't happen back in Ohio where I'm from. I'm a sailor. There are very few places where you can sail in the ocean and not have to deal with floods, hurricanes or bugs the size of dogs. Lastly, I'm a real estate appraiser. L.A.'s obsession with real estate has allowed my business to flourish and provided me with a very nice lifestyle. This would only be possible in a handful of places. I don't commute, I pick the times to hit the freeway. And, I own my home, so the COL doesn't bother me much. For someone who showed up here at 23 with $ 600, L.A. has been very good to me.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:38 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoj36 View Post
This is the place to be re-born!
True that. I'll be reborn in October.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:55 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
For me it's the Weather, the Water and the Work. The weather isn't perfect, but it's close. I have some 5 year old coats that I've worn maybe a dozen times total. And the cars don't rust. I have an 11 year old Porsche that looks like the day it was made. That wouldn't happen back in Ohio where I'm from. I'm a sailor. There are very few places where you can sail in the ocean and not have to deal with floods, hurricanes or bugs the size of dogs. Lastly, I'm a real estate appraiser. L.A.'s obsession with real estate has allowed my business to flourish and provided me with a very nice lifestyle. This would only be possible in a handful of places. I don't commute, I pick the times to hit the freeway. And, I own my home, so the COL doesn't bother me much. For someone who showed up here at 23 with $ 600, L.A. has been very good to me.

Commercial or residential? And do you mind me asking how long ago you purchased your home?

Old 06-08-2016, 02:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,398,080 times
With a good job not too far from where you live...LA is a good place to live. I can see how those who juggle job with a crazy commute would get frustrated.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Commercial or residential? And do you mind me asking how long ago you purchased your home?
Residential appraiser. I bought in 1989 just as prices were rising. Then they crashed in 1992, then the earthquake, then it got up to $ 625,000 in 2007, then crashed again, then rose again. It's been quite a ride, but if you're not selling, who cares what it's worth.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:15 PM

368 posts, read 413,526 times
I used to LOVE Los Angeles. When I had $$$ & a 90K a year job. Now that Im broke & basically have given up hope of ever finding decent work again, not so much. This is the WRONG city to live in w/out $$$. Still love the weather though.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:29 PM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
The gun shows here are too crowded. ! hour or more to get in and 2 hours or more to buy ammo. You get a back ache from all that standing in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles