Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 AM

643 posts, read 507,122 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the link but how many times can I apply? I mean If I apply once don't have to wait awhile to apply for a different card or can I apply for several cards at once? I read that continuously applying for credit cards and being rejected can also hurt your credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Of course they would. They need new subscribers. It certainly won't HURT your credit history, of which there's none, so they aren't lying to you, strictly speaking. Just embellishing a bit.It's really hard to see, but my 4-month-old niece could get "pre-approved" for credit at a catalogue company. If you don't have to supply your Social Security number, it won't do you a stitch of good.

If you truly want to build credit, you need a real credit card. Start here. This is a trusted website that can help you with the real credit offers you may either be pre-approved for or ones you might be able to qualify for based on your credit profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 11:54 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Thanks for the link but how many times can I apply? I mean If I apply once don't have to wait awhile to apply for a different card or can I apply for several cards at once? I read that continuously applying for credit cards and being rejected can also hurt your credit.
You do not apply at the link. You can use it to identify the cards for which you would be eligible.

While technically you shouldn't apply for many credit cards at once, when you have no credit to speak of, there's nothing that can be hurt too badly. However, yes, if your credit history has nothing but rejections in a short period of time, it can be a red flag. Imagine someone who has racked up debts but has no means of paying it off, so (s)he gets a credit card and uses it as a tool to do that. That's what it looks like to credit card companies. So, definitely don't put in ten applications at once, but two or three won't hurt you. The place to start, after you get a list of cards you may be approved for from the link I gave you is at your bank. They already have collateral which they can recoup if you default, so they should be more likely to issue a credit card to you. Also, maybe try for an American Express charge card. My wife just got a targeted pre-approved offer for an Amex Gold charge card and was approved despite not even having a FICO score. Just watch out for annual fees.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
No I wasn't being sarcastic I was just stating that she's the one who suggested this.
Fair enough. Doesn't take away from my original point, though - your mom is probably not an expert at this.

Here's another idea. Although I'm loath to recommend this to someone who is struggling for independence, if your mom has a credit card, you may be able to get on her account as an authorized user. She can set a spending limit if she wants, but it will give you another way to build credit. But do try my suggestion from the previous post first.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:58 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,761 times
If you're 30 years old and can't make that determination on your own then you probably shouldn't travel anywhere at all on your own.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
If you're 30 years old and can't make that determination on your own then you probably shouldn't travel anywhere at all on your own.
Careful, you're about to get a response saying she's done it before and came out OK.

I am a bit curious though as to how someone with no credit card can travel. A debit card really isn't enough anymore, especially if you're renting a car (which you can hardly get away with not doing in L.A.). You can use your debit card, but they block a fairly substantial amount for the duration of your trip.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM

I'm not afraid but you're supposed to respect your parents. Being as though I made it back safely going on my own before. I thought they would have realized I could handle traveling to another state alone. I love being in LA and if I really want to go back I will. And telling them about it will just make it worse hence the reason why I said I'm going after I spend time with my family in Atlanta.
Quote:
You are positioning yourself as an infantile and clueless 30-year-old who is afraid of arguments with her parents.Maybe others can correct me but a catalogue company (not a magazine company, mind, not that it makes much of a difference) offering you credit isn't going to do a whole lot for your credit history. Key way to tell: did they ask for your social security number? If they did, it may help. Otherwise get a secured credit card through your bank.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not afraid but you're supposed to respect your parents. Being as though I made it back safely going on my own before. I thought they would have realized I could handle traveling to another state alone. I love being in LA and if I really want to go back I will. And telling them about it will just make it worse hence the reason why I said I'm going after I spend time with my family in Atlanta.
Respecting them doesn't mean letting them run your life. At 30 years old you are supposed to be able to make your own traveling decisions irrespective of what they have to say. It's your life, not theirs.

My point about being afraid of arguing referred to the time when I suggested you move out and you said it was just going to turn into another argument. So it does. BFD. Graduate, get a job, move out.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:21 PM

I just use Uber or a Taxi using my Debit Card has never been a problem.
Quote:
Careful, you're about to get a response saying she's done it before and came out OK.

I am a bit curious though as to how someone with no credit card can travel. A debit card really isn't enough anymore, especially if you're renting a car (which you can hardly get away with not doing in L.A.). You can use your debit card, but they block a fairly substantial amount for the duration of your trip.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:24 PM

Can't make what determination?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post

Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Can't make what determination?
Whether or not to go to L.A. by yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles