Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 08:21 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
You said why wouldn't I be ok because visiting is different from actually living there.
I said you have no idea what it's like to live in L.A. and that visiting isn't the same thing as living there. You've acknowledged the latter but fail to do so with the former. You may say that you have a plan but precisely nothing you've written here suggests that's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 08:23 PM

643 posts, read 507,052 times
I know what the issue is it's time that I be more independent and live on my own. It's always easy for someone who's not or haven't been in this kind of position. Of course I know I can move out that my parents can't stop me. I guess maybe I'm just so use to how things have been for so long. My parents have always been overprotective of me even growing up as a child. I thank them for being protective of me though but now as an adult it's starting to be overwhelming. I really don't mind living at home with them but I just don't like them being so controlling. I don't know maybe they just act this way because they care about me. They don't want anything to happen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
This response underscores exactly what I'm talking about. You are either being deliberately obtuse or, quite frankly, you are simply not that intelligent if you are unable to figure out what I meant by the post you're quoting. Hint: it has less to do with traveling than it is with you simply being an independent adult. You're looking at an issue on the surface and are refusing or unable to look past what's right in front of you. That's what we're talking about when saying that there are greater issues at hand than arguing with your parents about whether or not it's safe for you to travel to L.A. by yourself.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 AM

I do believe I could make it if I plan and have some money saved up. Dental Assistants make $15 to $17 an hour. I wouldn't move there unless I had money saved and already had a job lined up. And I would need to live near my place of work whereas I could use public transportation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
Let's try to give her a break. People can get derailed during college for all sorts of reasons. She's trying to acquire a trade and plans to move out once she graduates. At least she's not still living at home with no plan at all.

Moving to LA is kind of a separate issue. It is a big move to make having not been on your own before but can be done.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I guess maybe I'm just so use to how things have been for so long.
You don't have to guess. It is exactly because of this.
Quote:
I really don't mind living at home with them
Of course you don't. I assume it saves you rent money, cooking, etc. But you're approaching it all wrong. Even though you're making it sound like it, you aren't doing them a favor by living with them (because that would be a conscious choice with sacrifices appropriate to it) - you're letting them make that choice for you.
Quote:
I don't know maybe they just act this way because they care about me. They don't want anything to happen to me.
Most good parents are protective of their kids to some point. But what you're describing here is overkill.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
I do believe I could make it if I plan and have some money saved up. Dental Assistants make $15 to $17 an hour. I wouldn't move there unless I had money saved and already had a job lined up. And I would need to live near my place of work whereas I could use public transportation.
Again, like I said before - what's the plan? "Have some money saved up" is not a plan. How much money? Having a nebulous job which you may or may not get is also not a plan. Even if you do find one, at $15-17/hour, taking the bus, etc - it's going to be tough. Is L.A. worth it if you can't really afford it? L.A. is a really uncomfortable place to live if you have no disposable income at all (of which, after rent, utilities, food and either gas or bus fare you will have very little) I've lived in L.A. on a salary of $40K/year almost 10 years ago and could barely afford a very modest lifestyle. I can't imagine what $30-34K/year, which is what your hourly translates to, will be a very comfortable living situation. Yes, it can be done - people live in L.A. making less - but they are generally people from L.A., not moving to a low-paying job from a much cheaper state. Again - it can be done, but it will be doubly tough for someone who's never lived on her own before.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
This is exactly what we are asking about. What you have stated is a pipe dream. If this is what you want, then you are going to have to move to LA without a job.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:12 AM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it will be virtually impossible to get a job in LA while you're still living in MI. Out-of-state job offers are typically for positions with much higher demand/more specialized skills/more experience. So you'll likely need to plan to move there without a job. I'd research LA's demand for dental assistants heavily first though.

Last edited by Liz_7; 08-16-2016 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 AM

264 posts, read 250,655 times
Quote:
L.A. is a really uncomfortable place to live if you have no disposable income at all (of which, after rent, utilities, food and either gas or bus fare you will have very little) I've lived in L.A. on a salary of $40K/year almost 10 years ago and could barely afford a very modest lifestyle. I can't imagine what $30-34K/year, which is what your hourly translates to, will be a very comfortable living situation. Yes, it can be done - people live in L.A. making less - but they are generally people from L.A., not moving to a low-paying job from a much cheaper state. Again - it can be done, but it will be doubly tough for someone who's never lived on her own before.
OP, while I think some other posters have been a little harsh, what highlanderfil said is the bottom line. LA is one of the most expensive rental markets in the country. Traffic is really, really terrible, so you need to live as close to your job as possible, which can make finding a decent roommate situation even more challenging. On top of that things like food and gas are going to be more expensive. Sales taxes are also higher.

I moved from MI to San Diego several years ago and was unprepared for the increased cost of living (and I had roommates). I'm now asking whether it's worth it to stay in CA long-term simply because of the cost of living. In SD the median rate for a 1-bedroom apartment is over $1700. (LA is worse.)

It's worth considering the long term beyond moving to LA, getting a job, and renting a room. How long will you be willing to live with roommates? Will you ever want to have a family? Or buy a house?

If I may ask, what is it about LA that is so appealing to you?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:59 AM

I'm not in a rush to have a family I wouldn't have a problem living with roommates until I become a Dental Hygienist. They make about 75k a year which is of course a lot more than 35k. My first visit to LA was in 2014 I went there to meet someone who I had met online. I've visited three times already and I love it my dad use to live there as a kid and said if he were older he would have stayed. I can understand why everything is so different there the scenery, environment the weather. I just love being there I think I feel a lot happier when I'm there it's probably the weather. I feel like I'd fit in living there more so than in Michigan. And as I stated before there is someone who I enjoy visiting which is one of the reasons why I like being there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
OP, while I think some other posters have been a little harsh, what highlanderfil said is the bottom line. LA is one of the most expensive rental markets in the country. Traffic is really, really terrible, so you need to live as close to your job as possible, which can make finding a decent roommate situation even more challenging. On top of that things like food and gas are going to be more expensive. Sales taxes are also higher.

I moved from MI to San Diego several years ago and was unprepared for the increased cost of living (and I had roommates). I'm now asking whether it's worth it to stay in CA long-term simply because of the cost of living. In SD the median rate for a 1-bedroom apartment is over $1700. (LA is worse.)

It's worth considering the long term beyond moving to LA, getting a job, and renting a room. How long will you be willing to live with roommates? Will you ever want to have a family? Or buy a house?

If I may ask, what is it about LA that is so appealing to you?

Old 08-16-2016, 10:20 AM

So what do you suggest that I become a Dental Hygienist before moving to LA? They make 72,330 per year that's a lot better than 35k.
Quote:
Again, like I said before - what's the plan? "Have some money saved up" is not a plan. How much money? Having a nebulous job which you may or may not get is also not a plan. Even if you do find one, at $15-17/hour, taking the bus, etc - it's going to be tough. Is L.A. worth it if you can't really afford it? L.A. is a really uncomfortable place to live if you have no disposable income at all (of which, after rent, utilities, food and either gas or bus fare you will have very little) I've lived in L.A. on a salary of $40K/year almost 10 years ago and could barely afford a very modest lifestyle. I can't imagine what $30-34K/year, which is what your hourly translates to, will be a very comfortable living situation. Yes, it can be done - people live in L.A. making less - but they are generally people from L.A., not moving to a low-paying job from a much cheaper state. Again - it can be done, but it will be doubly tough for someone who's never lived on her own before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles