Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 07:17 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
I've read on the internet on different sites where people have said they were able to make it saving up lets say 5,000. But as I said everyone is different I don't know how far 5,000 would get you. Like some people say save at least for up to 6 months.
There are people who make it with no savings, either. That doesn't make it a good idea. In L.A. $5K isn't going to take you farther than three or four months even if you are very frugal with how you live. Six months' worth of expenses is a good rule of thumb to go by. Things to consider:

- Rent (don't assume you'll find a place for $500-800 a month and budget at least $1K): $1,000
- Utilities: $100-200
- Internet access: $50
- Cell phone: $50
- Transportation (either car payment or maintenance and insurance or public transport): will vary widely, but I'd budget at least $300
- Groceries: $300-500
- Household goods: $100
- Basic furniture: one-time, but you'll still need a couple hundred bucks
- Health insurance: not even going to try to predict this, but at least $100/month
- Basic entertainment (because otherwise you'll be completely miserable and wish you never moved to L.A.): $ 50-100/month

This stuff adds up. I'm being fairly conservative with my estimates, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 07:19 AM

643 posts, read 507,122 times
One person I went to grade school with he went to school for nursing and then moved from Michigan to LA. He's living there now and working in a hospital as a nurse. The other guy he and I met online and finally met in person after talking online for a year. We've met in person twice once last year and again this year in June.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Not answering my question. Where do you know these people from, how did you meet them, that's what I meant.

Last edited by Juventas; 08-17-2016 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 AM

But aren't utilities sometimes included in the rent?
Quote:
There are people who make it with no savings, either. That doesn't make it a good idea. In L.A. $5K isn't going to take you farther than three or four months even if you are very frugal with how you live. Six months' worth of expenses is a good rule of thumb to go by. Things to consider:

- Rent (don't assume you'll find a place for $500-800 a month and budget at least $1K): $1,000
- Utilities: $100-200
- Internet access: $50
- Cell phone: $50
- Transportation (either car payment or maintenance and insurance or public transport): will vary widely, but I'd budget at least $300
- Groceries: $300-500
- Household goods: $100
- Basic furniture: one-time, but you'll still need a couple hundred bucks
- Health insurance: not even going to try to predict this, but at least $100/month
- Basic entertainment (because otherwise you'll be completely miserable and wish you never moved to L.A.): $ 50-100/month

This stuff adds up. I'm being fairly conservative with my estimates, as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
But aren't utilities sometimes included in the rent?
You're, once again, focusing on the minutiae. Sometimes they are. Most often they aren't. Electricity never is.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
One person I went to grade school with he went to school for nursing and then moved from Michigan to LA. He's living there now and working in a hospital as a nurse. The other guy he and I met online and finally met in person after talking online for a year. We've met in person twice once last year and again this year in June.
Yeah, those do not strike me as reliable connections, so I can see why your folks might be worried. Again, I believe that a 30-year-old should be allowed to make her own judgment calls even if they are bad ones, but I can also see why your parents, whom you have allowed to rule your life for the same thirty years, might have cause for concern.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 AM

It's a bad judgement that I like visiting LA? I admit that I took a risk meeting someone in person from online. That was the first and only time I'll ever do that though I'm surprised I actually did it. Because I know how dangerous it can be that's why I won't do it anymore. As for the other guy he and I went to grade school together. And I've talked with him about moving to LA he loves it there. I actually told him that my parents were so worried about me traveling there alone. He told me that he would look out for me and gave me his cellphone number. I did tell my parents about him before hand and they were saying how they wanted to talk to him etc.
Quote:
Yeah, those do not strike me as reliable connections, so I can see why your folks might be worried. Again, I believe that a 30-year-old should be allowed to make her own judgment calls even if they are bad ones, but I can also see why your parents, whom you have allowed to rule your life for the same thirty years, might have cause for concern.

Last edited by Juventas; 08-17-2016 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Yes I know sometimes utilities aren't included I know I have to keep in mind that it's possibility that they won't be.
Quote:
You're, once again, focusing on the minutiae. Sometimes they are. Most often they aren't. Electricity never is.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
It's a bad judgement that I like visiting LA?
No. I don't believe I or anyone else here, for that matter, have said that.
Quote:
I admit that I took a risk meeting someone in person from online. That was the first and only time I'll ever do that though I'm surprised I actually did it. Because I know how dangerous it can be that's why I won't do it anymore.
I also wouldn't go this far, either. I married the girl I met online (though not on a dating site). Online dating isn't nearly as dangerous as some people believe it to be. That said, traveling to another, distant and unfamiliar (despite what you might think) location to meet someone can definitely be a much greater risk.
Quote:
As for the other guy he and I went to grade school together.
And how long ago was that?

Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Yes I know sometimes utilities aren't included I know I have to keep in mind that it's possibility that they won't be.
I'd correct that to the high likelihood that they won't be. You should always budget for the worst-case scenario because if it doesn't happen, guess what? You get to keep that money.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 AM

Yes I understand and it has been quite a few years ago I'm going to let you know which of these credit cards I've applied for.
Quote:
No. I don't believe I or anyone else here, for that matter, have said that.I also wouldn't go this far, either. I married the girl I met online (though not on a dating site). Online dating isn't nearly as dangerous as some people believe it to be. That said, traveling to another, distant and unfamiliar (despite what you might think) location to meet someone can definitely be a much greater risk.And how long ago was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles