Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 04:18 PM

264 posts, read 250,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
It doesn't sound like you have thought this out at all. The fact that you need a trade program says it. One does not simply "become" something. What's wrong with your resume now? What's preventing you from making the move now? It sounds like a roadblock. You are also not going to magically get this dental assistant job from afar. You will need to make the move first. Many people move and see what kind of job they can get, because you sure aren't going to start out with your dream job. Again, what's wrong with your resume? Do you honestly think you are going to suddenly move to LA as a dental assistant?
There's nothing wrong with being in a trade program. In fact more people should consider it instead of college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:32 PM

643 posts, read 506,769 times
Well I'm going back to school so that would be making it my #1 priority but I only want to visit twice a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
No one is telling you not to visit. In fact, everyone is telling you exactly the opposite. You're 30. You don't need to answer to anyone even if it's in your best interest.

Maybe you were confused by my initial post? I simply implied that getting out of your parents house should be priority #1.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 PM

I didn't think it was I know someone who graduated from a trade school and was able to find a job working at a hospital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
There's nothing wrong with being in a trade program. In fact more people should consider it instead of college.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:47 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
There is nothing wrong with specifically being in a trade program. But the OP has said she went to college. So I'm confused here. Why is it this that's holding up a move to LA, or a move anywhere? And how exactly is she expecting to move out if right now she is afraid it'll just be another argument, wants to stay to take care of her mom, etc.?

Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Yes I went to college so that means I can't change my mind and go to a trade school? Again I never said I wanted to move right now. One minute you say I wouldn't make it in LA since I haven't lived on my own in Michigan. Then you say what's keeping me from moving to LA now.
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with specifically being in a trade program. But the OP has said she went to college. So I'm confused here. Why is it this that's holding up a move to LA, or a move anywhere? And how exactly is she expecting to move out if right now she is afraid it'll just be another argument, wants to stay to take care of her mom, etc.?

Old 08-15-2016, 04:59 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Yes I went to college so that means I can't change my mind and go to a trade school? Again I never said I wanted to move right now. One minute you say I wouldn't make it in LA since I haven't lived on my own in Michigan. Then you say what's keeping me from moving to LA now.
Just trying to help. Trying to understand your situation. You say you want to move, so I was giving you advice, but yes....it is concerning that a 29 year old hasn't lived on their own before and doesn't currently have enough work experience to make it on their own.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:07 PM

Yes I said I want to move but I never said right now I've said several times that once I graduate from trade school I would move.
Quote:
Just trying to help. Trying to understand your situation. You say you want to move, so I was giving you advice, but yes....it is concerning that a 29 year old hasn't lived on their own before and doesn't currently have enough work experience to make it on their own.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:22 PM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
Quote:
Let's try to give her a break. People can get derailed during college for all sorts of reasons. She's trying to acquire a trade and plans to move out once she graduates. At least she's not still living at home with no plan at all.

Moving to LA is kind of a separate issue. It is a big move to make having not been on your own before but can be done.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:34 PM

Thank you I am trying I realized It would be better if I get a trade first then I can always go back to school.
Quote:
Let's try to give her a break. People can get derailed during college for all sorts of reasons. She's trying to acquire a trade and plans to move out once she graduates. At least she's not still living at home with no plan at all.

Moving to LA is kind of a separate issue. It is a big move to make having not been on your own before but can be done.

Last edited by Juventas; 08-15-2016 at 05:44 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
Well now you sound like my parents when they told me I'd go and get myself killed if I went to LA alone. They didn't think I could go alone and be safe but I did plenty of research before hand.
A wise Russian/Jewish proverb states: "Do not confuse tourism and immigration." The fact that you did OK as a visitor (and, after all, why wouldn't you?) does not mean you'll be able to make it living in L.A., especially not given the fact that you have not lived on your own anywhere else. Many have tried, few have succeeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles