Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 10:19 AM

406 posts, read 348,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Actually I'd say in LA most are hired by other immigrants most likely legal immigrants .
Many business owners from Israel or Iran or other countries in L.A and they will have undocumented people working at their car washes , restaurants or other businesses .
L
O
L

Seriously. How do you come up with this stuff? What percentage of people in LA are from Israel or Iran and aren't American?

You realize that an American is anyone that is a citizen of the United States, right?

You make these comments and there's zero logic or factual evidence to back it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 10:27 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippityhop View Post
L
O
L

... You make these comments and there's zero logic or factual evidence to back it up.
jm? "zero logic or factual evidence ?" Why demand logic, facts or evidence? You are so harsh!

Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
L
O
L

Seriously. How do you come up with this stuff? What percentage of people in LA are from Israel or Iran and aren't American?

You realize that an American is anyone that is a citizen of the United States, right?

You make these comments and there's zero logic or factual evidence to back it up.
They are still counted as immigrants even if they are legal citizens. Did you know that?

Really?.. you must be out of touch with who owns small businesses in L.A
Who owns them?
Car washes, dry cleaners, mom and pop restaurants?

Some evidence here :
Regarding particular types of businesses, immigrants make up 61 percent of gas station owners, 58 percent of dry cleaners owners, 45 percent of nail salon owners, and 38 percent of restaurant owners. Locally, in some metropolitan areas, immigrants make up over half of all main street business owners: 64 percent in the Los Angeles metro area, 61 percent in metro San Jose, 56 percent in the Washington, D.C., metro area, and 54 percent in the Miami metro area.

http://immigrationimpact.com/2015/05...onomy-forward/

http://www.inc.com/magazine/201502/a...n-america.html

Old 11-17-2016, 01:54 PM

Angelenos are deeply concerned? Which ones ? Legal or Illegal?
Who is deeply concerned about seeing criminals removed?

Who did Herb Wesson speak to? At least from the comments it seems that everyone is saying this is a horrible idea.

And of course more bureaucracy! A new 'immigrant advocate' position that will be another big waste of taxpayer money. It should be called illegal immigrant advocate.

Wesson’s proposal will be introduced at Tuesday’s council meeting. At City Hall, a new immigrant advocate would need to work closely with Mayor Eric Garcetti’s Office of Immigrant Affairs, Wesson said.

---
Worried that Trump will pursue mass deportations once in office, Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson announced the effort Thursday, saying Angelenos are “deeply concerned” about changes to federal immigration policies under Trump.

L.A. leaders just vowed to fight deportations under Trump. Here's what they've proposed - LA Times

Old 11-17-2016, 01:55 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Yes , but Garcetti keeps on insisting he will fight and fight for the rights of illegals.
I honestly didn't know there was such a thing, other than conjured up by people who benefit from having illegal immigrants around.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
They are still counted as immigrants even if they are legal citizens. Did you know that?

Really?.. you must be out of touch with who owns small businesses in L.A
Who owns them?
Car washes, dry cleaners, mom and pop restaurants?

Some evidence here :
Regarding particular types of businesses, immigrants make up 61 percent of gas station owners, 58 percent of dry cleaners owners, 45 percent of nail salon owners, and 38 percent of restaurant owners. Locally, in some metropolitan areas, immigrants make up over half of all main street business owners: 64 percent in the Los Angeles metro area, 61 percent in metro San Jose, 56 percent in the Washington, D.C., metro area, and 54 percent in the Miami metro area.

How Immigrant Entrepreneurs Move the U.S. Economy Forward : Immigration Impact

The Most Entrepreneurial Group in America Wasn't Born in America | Inc.com
Let's examine your logic more closely shall we?

Original statement from Jesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse977 View Post
Retards. Americans HIRE these immigrants, then they want to kick them out. You cant be a pimp and a prostitute at the same time.
In very simple English:
Americans hire immigrants.

Now, your response is.

Quote:
Actually I'd say in LA most are hired by other immigrants most likely legal immigrants .
Many business owners from Israel or Iran or other countries in L.A and they will have undocumented people working at their car washes , restaurants or other businesses .
In simple English:
No, in LA (mainly) legal immigrants hire illegals.

Your logic makes these two claims

1) The majority of illegals are hired by legal immigrants
2) Legal immigrants are not Americans

Point #2 is just factually incorrect so long as the legal immigrants have U.S. citizenship vs a green card. If you want to determine what % of business owners in LA are green card owners vs citizens have at it. But I'm willing to be it's over 75% citizens.

Point #1 you made the statement about how a great number of immigrant owners of businesses like hair salons, mom & pop restaurants etc. OK great, seems reasonable, you provided some good articles about it and it goes with what I have observed in the area. Now, here's the problem what % of LA's economy is made up of those TINY businesses? How many jobs do they provide?
What percentage of illegals work at those small businesses? In the grand scheme of thing not a whole lot. They aren't huge employment centers. It's not like landscaping, construction, manual labor which employs MILLIONS of illegals. I don't think the Israeli guy is coming out to LA and becoming a general contractor or a landscaping service. I don't buy is for a second.

Here's a breakdown for the state:

The undocumented alone comprise 38% of the agriculture industry and 14% of the construction industry. immigrants make up the majority of those involved in farming, fishing, and forestry (80%), grounds cleaning and maintenance (62%), production (57%), construc-tion (42%), food preparation and serving (42%), transportation (42%), and personal care and service (37%) jobs.

California Immigrant Policy Center | Contributions Reports - California Immigrant Policy Center

Enjoy the reading material.

If you think undocumented workers aren't working at big chain restaurants and grocery stores (aka owned by white people, or in your terms "Real Americans") you're delusional. It's called fraudulent SS numbers.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM

It was an example . In LA Israels and Persians own a lot of businesses. Just a fact .

Obviously there are other immigrants that own small businesses too.

I thought we were talking about L.A , of course if you are talking about the whole state of California of course the industries will be different .

How many are working as farmers in the city limits ?
Or fishing or forestry ?

Also yes immigrant contractors are pretty common in L.A .

Old 11-17-2016, 04:04 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Let's examine your logic more closely shall we?

Original statement from Jesse

In very simple English:
Americans hire immigrants.

Now, your response is.

In simple English:
No, in LA (mainly) legal immigrants hire illegals.

Your logic makes these two claims

1) The majority of illegals are hired by legal immigrants
2) Legal immigrants are not Americans

Point #2 is just factually incorrect so long as the legal immigrants have U.S. citizenship vs a green card. If you want to determine what % of business owners in LA are green card owners vs citizens have at it. But I'm willing to be it's over 75% citizens.

Point #1 you made the statement about how a great number of immigrant owners of businesses like hair salons, mom & pop restaurants etc. OK great, seems reasonable, you provided some good articles about it and it goes with what I have observed in the area. Now, here's the problem what % of LA's economy is made up of those TINY businesses? How many jobs do they provide?
What percentage of illegals work at those small businesses? In the grand scheme of thing not a whole lot. They aren't huge employment centers. It's not like landscaping, construction, manual labor which employs MILLIONS of illegals. I don't think the Israeli guy is coming out to LA and becoming a general contractor or a landscaping service. I don't buy is for a second.

Here's a breakdown for the state:

The undocumented alone comprise 38% of the agriculture industry and 14% of the construction industry. immigrants make up the majority of those involved in farming, fishing, and forestry (80%), grounds cleaning and maintenance (62%), production (57%), construc-tion (42%), food preparation and serving (42%), transportation (42%), and personal care and service (37%) jobs.

California Immigrant Policy Center | Contributions Reports - California Immigrant Policy Center

Enjoy the reading material.

If you think undocumented workers aren't working at big chain restaurants and grocery stores (aka owned by white people, or in your terms "Real Americans") you're delusional. It's called fraudulent SS numbers.
Careful! You'll end up on jm's "ignore list" like me. Then your goose will be cooked. By immigrants who own restaurants probably. Maybe Persian restaurants. Do they cook gooseses? I dunno. We should check with jm on that. I'll bet even if he doesn't know exactly he'll have a handle on it.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think you are being realistic with the percentages and numbers involved here.

As of 2014. Largest employers in LA County. Largest Employers
I don't see Jose's Taco Stand or Ms. Nguyen's Nail Salon.

Employer

Employees

County of Los Angeles

Los Angeles Unified School District

City of Los Angeles (including DWP)

46,900*

University of California, Los Angeles

Federal Government (non-Defense Dept.)

43,400*

Kaiser Permanente

State of California (non-education)

Northrop Grumman Corp.

Target Corp.

Providence Health & Services

University of Southern California

Kroger Co. (Ralphs, Food 4 Less)

Bank of America

Long Beach Unified School District

Metropolitan Transportation Authority (L.A. County)

11,600**

Home Depot

Boeing Co.

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center

Walt Disney Co.

Wells Fargo

United Parcel Service (UPS)

AT&T Inc.

ABM Industries Inc.

California Institute of Technology

Vons

Edison International

Fedex Corp.

Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

Raytheon Co.

Dignity Health

Amgen Inc.

American Apparel

Universal Services of America

City of Long Beach

6,000**

Costco Wholesale

Sony Pictures Entertainment

Long Beach Memorial Medical Center

Southern California Gas Co.

J.P. Morgan Chase

NBCUniversal

Paramount Pictures

Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles

99 Cents Only Store

Adventist Health

Whole Foods Market

Lockheed Martin Corp.

Time Warner Cable

Time Warner Cable

Huntington Memorial Hospital

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

CSU Long Beach

3,500**

CSU Northridge

3,500**

Federal Government (Defense Department)

Albertsons Southern California Region

Torrance Memorial Hospital

Verizon

DirecTV

Farmers Insurance Group

Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc.

Aerospace Corp.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:06 PM

I do realize how big those employers are.
The small businesses add up though. It seems more likely illegals will be working for those small mom and pops versus those big companies or public institutions that probably use E-Verify ,etc.
I'm not saying that it's impossible for illegals to slide through though and work for those big companies.
It's just more likely at "Jose's Taco Stand" where the owner might pay employees in cash.

Of course no employer is going to say how many illegals work for them.
If you have any information that says most illegals are working for large places like Bank of America , LAUSD , city of L.A versus smaller places or as gardeners, housekeepers , then I'd like to see that.

Most small businesses are run by immigrants in L.A and I had just stated that it's likely that illegal immigrants are being hired by other immigrants. It was just a comment but perhaps there was some misunderstanding?

Seems like we agree anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles