Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

recirculated garbage, this was first posted in 2014 in another right wing rag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 04:37 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I would strongly caution against dismissing gang members as idiots. Some of these organizations are run better than some Fortune 500 companies. They haven't been around for years because people running them are dumb. The overt signs such as facial tattoos may not appear to be too intelligent, but they serve a specific purpose of instilling fear. These guys aren't running a clandestine operation and they don't care if they are arrested, so calling them out for being easy to spot is pointless.

Street gangs aren't really top down hierarchical organizations. Maybe a small number are involved in high level crimes such as a cartel level drug trafficking, a huge number really are just idiots. Semi-feral and semi-literate, usually being inducted in around age 12-14, committing minor street crimes while mainly just drinking, taking drugs, spraypainting walls and looking for rival gang members.

MS-13 isn't really one organization but many smaller gangs claiming the umbrella label much like Bloods and Crips.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,838,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Learn something about gangs, then come back and tell us how dumb they are. The tattooed faces, those are the foot soldiers, the lowest conscripts in the gang. All gangs have them and foot soldiers are largely recruited in prison. Facial tattoos inspire fear and ensure that the recruit will never leave the gang, they are cannon fodder sent out to conduct the most dangerous operations, very much like ISIS suicide bombers. If you look at the higher echelon of MS-13 or any large gang if they have tattoos they are concealed by clothing.
Most latino gang members in America are recruited around ages 12-14. By the time they end up prison they are already gang members.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
"WASHINGTON — The MS-13 gang is linked to a startling 38 percent of all the homicides in normally placid Suffolk County over the last 16 months, its besieged police chief told a startled Senate panel Wednesday.

Since Jan. 1, 2016, 17 of 45 murders in the county have been connected to the brutal gang, testified Police Commissioner Timothy Sini."

MS-13 is turning Long Island into a homicide hotbed | New York Post

Old 05-25-2017, 10:15 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,186,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Street gangs aren't really top down hierarchical organizations. Maybe a small number are involved in high level crimes such as a cartel level drug trafficking, a huge number really are just idiots. Semi-feral and semi-literate, usually being inducted in around age 12-14, committing minor street crimes while mainly just drinking, taking drugs, spraypainting walls and looking for rival gang members.

MS-13 isn't really one organization but many smaller gangs claiming the umbrella label much like Bloods and Crips.
exactly... They are also school drop outs. Why would you tattoo MS on your face when your a soldier and never be able to rise up in the ranks?? Where not talking high IQ here.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:55 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post

Some are, some are not. Note how I very carefully said "some" in the post you're quoting. I have done fairly extensive research on gangs in general to know what I'm talking about. MS-13 is too large to be run top-down like a large corporation, but its "branches", if you will, can very well be run this way. As for moving through the ranks vis a vis facial tattoos - some people are leaders, some people are drones. And most leaders know a drone when they see one. There are plenty of idiots in gangs, but it's dangerous to dismiss all of them as such.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
exactly... They are also school drop outs. Why would you tattoo MS on your face when your a soldier and never be able to rise up in the ranks?? Where not talking high IQ here.
Different reasons. In many cases, the tats are mandated by the superiors. Yes, there are plenty of those who don't think of the consequences (and I'm sure those same superiors are happy to see them take initiative because that's one fewer potential future competitor trying to rise through the ranks), but the people who are running them are far from dumb.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:46 PM

1,122 posts, read 963,080 times
I am very glad to see them cracking down on this gang. They should be classified as terrorist in my humble opinion. What they have done in Long Island is just cruddy. Parents losing their kids and these gang members have no issue with killing.

I also hope to see a more crack down of gangs in Los Angeles County - we are seeing a lot of Graffiti in the communities which is not good.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
I am very glad to see them cracking down on this gang. They should be classified as terrorist in my humble opinion. What they have done in Long Island is just cruddy. Parents losing their kids and these gang members have no issue with killing.

I also hope to see a more crack down of gangs in Los Angeles County - we are seeing a lot of Graffiti in the communities which is not good.
Unfortunately sanctuary city mayors defend illegal criminals . Story below is about an illegal with a long criminal record and the mayor of El Monte complained to ICE about his arrest .

"The agents’ presence did not go unnoticed. Seeing a live television report about the arrest, the mayor of El Monte called his police chief demanding answers. The chief, in turn, called Jorge Field, ICE’s assistant field office director for the L.A. region.

Field has grown accustomed to such calls. Elected officials in immigrant communities, where anger and fear has been stoked by frequent – and often inaccurate — reports spread on social media of ICE sweeps, have grown particularly sensitive to the agency’s presence on their streets.

Field took the call while driving to make the next arrest and calmly explained Rodriguez’s criminal past to the police chief. An aide to Rep. Grace Napolitano (D-Norwalk) emailed at the same time, demanding to know, “Are you in El Monte?”

Source
Amid fear and resistance, immigration agents in L.A. have not ramped up arrests - LA Times

Old 05-25-2017, 02:53 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post

They have been cracking down on this gang for a very, very long time Trump's MS-13 Miss - FactCheck.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles