Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I've done research and it says they focus on recruiting youth from neighborhoods and juvenile detention centers .
2sleepy stated that they are recruiting "non violent offenders" that get sent to jail with the violent MS13 members .

I'm not sure what type of alternate place they imagine these criminals can be sent to.

It's common sense that a sanctuary city environment would breed more MS13 types .
You are making stuff up and you are twisting my words to fit your narrative. I spent 4 years working in a jail and over 20 years in a City Police Dept. I really don't care what you call me, because you have no idea how the system works or what "tough on crime" actually means.

Gang members are largely recruited in prison because prison inmates have no choice other than to pick a group to associate with for protection. Once you join a gang it's real hard to drop out, even when you leave prison. MS-13 recruits usually get full face tattoos and are foot soldiers, they are ordered to harm guards, kill other prisoners, smuggle drugs and cell phones into the prison and if they refuse they are killed. It's not a joke. When they are released from prison they are still in the gang, unemployable and frequently banned from their families homes, they only have the gang left.

I tried to talk about other ways to deal with young non-violent offenders who are NOT yet affiliated (in a gang) but you just blow it off and keep saying the same stuff over and over. I have never once said we should coddle gang members and you know it - my point is that we need to keep young offenders from joining gangs, because if we don't, these gangs will continue to grow exponentially. If you send a 19 year old kid to prison for stealing a car he will be there for maybe 18 months maximum, but if he's Hispanic and in prison in California, Arizona or Texas there's a good chance he will become an MS-13 food soldier and will come out of prison with one master and one master only for the rest of his life, his MS-13 lieutenant.

Sanctuary cities neither encourage or foster street gangs, if you have proof otherwise, then bring it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,475,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You are making stuff up and you are twisting my words to fit your narrative. I spent 4 years working in a jail and over 20 years in a City Police Dept. I really don't care what you call me, because you have no idea how the system works or what "tough on crime" actually means.

Gang members are largely recruited in prison because prison inmates have no choice other than to pick a group to associate with for protection. Once you join a gang it's real hard to drop out, even when you leave prison. MS-13 recruits usually get full face tattoos and are foot soldiers, they are ordered to harm guards, kill other prisoners, smuggle drugs and cell phones into the prison and if they refuse they are killed. It's not a joke. When they are released from prison they are still in the gang, unemployable and frequently banned from their families homes, they only have the gang left.

I tried to talk about other ways to deal with young non-violent offenders who are NOT yet affiliated (in a gang) but you just blow it off and keep saying the same stuff over and over. I have never once said we should coddle gang members and you know it - my point is that we need to keep young offenders from joining gangs, because if we don't, these gangs will continue to grow exponentially. If you send a 19 year old kid to prison for stealing a car he will be there for maybe 18 months maximum, but if he's Hispanic and in prison in California, Arizona or Texas there's a good chance he will become an MS-13 food soldier and will come out of prison with one master and one master only for the rest of his life, his MS-13 lieutenant.

Sanctuary cities neither encourage or foster street gangs, if you have proof otherwise, then bring it on.
What did you do to make things better? Did you catch a lot of MS13 gang members trying to recruit supposedly 'non violent offenders'?
Is there corruption in the jails where some guards take bribes?

Also how about cutting off immigration both legal and illegal from countries with a high level of violence/terrorism?
El Salvador and many of these other countries are super violent.
Sure there are some good people there too..but maybe we should work on fixing our problems here before we continue importing more people from these countries.

Los Angeles is the biggest sanctuary city in America and MS13 street gangs thrive here.
Is there a non sanctuary city with a bigger MS13 problem versus L.A? Please let us know.

BTW Most of the MS13 gang members arrested recently in L.A were... 'undocumented immigrants' .

Old 05-23-2017, 10:19 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
Quote:
Well considering a huge number of them are illegal . Ramping up deportations and helping supporting a strong border maybe ?
It's funny we haven't heard a peep from our Mayor about fighting MS13 , I guess he doesn't want to offend them .
Do you ever think maybe criminals come to L.A and CA because of the liberal policies they can exploit ?

Atty. Gen. Sessions says lax immigration enforcement is enabling gangs like MS-13 - LA Times
Bawdahs, langooage, cultcha!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Obamas policy was to be weak on immigration just like the rest of the Dem party today .

Another good idea would be to get rid of birthright citizenship . No more anchor baby nonsense . How many of these gangbangers are anchor babies but have illegal parents ? Probably a lot .

What kind of different environment ? They are in prison for a reason because they committed a crime likely multiple crimes before they finally got caught .

Yes the criminals know where they can be accepted and fit in . I mean we have Mayor in L.A that lectured us that we should thank criminals for serving their jail time . Lot's of these scumbags are evil but it doesn't mean they are necessarily dumb .
We've been trying the soft on crime approach and it's not working .
We have people that have been deported dozens of times . Obviously it's a joke . Jail time isn't long enough too

We need to get tougher bottom line
Yeeep. Them anchor babies, THEY (you know, them funny brown others) are breedin' like rats!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Oh, lovely, more baseless ad hominem attacks. Please quote a post of mine where I said I, and I quote, "hate society" and "have a desire to unleash violent monsters on the general public". I never said deportation or jail weren't good ideas. What I did say was that they weren't enough and your pretending they don't exist because they have been (temporarily, in most cases) locked away doesn't mean they a). won't be back out and b). poison the minds of those who are still walking free from where they are incarcerated/deported. If you're cool with half-measures, that's great, but just because you don't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.Conservatives these days seem to be of the flawed opinion that they have a clue in the world about the liberals and what they are concerned with, as you have just demonstrated. Conservatives these days seem to be more concerned with short-term success than thinking about the long-term. See how fun generalizations are? And mine are actually fact-, not conjecture-based like yours and EAP's.

Also, you forgot an exclamation mark at the end of "shame". Isn't that how your Dear Leader frames his tweets?
Conservative is the wrong word. These are no classical conservatives. They are a type of revolutionary. The orientation is partially reactionary, however the revolutionary element is there. To be fair, feminism, certain aspects of the SJWs, etc, did push pretty far, and some, especially white Anglo men, but a fair number of women, and some others of other backgrounds, said enough. But now, they overreact and are on the verge of having destructive impacts on Western, Anglo American norms of rule of law, political processes, and classical liberalism descended from the great thinkers of The Enlightenment.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Yeeep. Them anchor babies, THEY (you know, them funny brown others) are breedin' like rats!

Is there any country in the world where Americans are living illegally and benefiting from social services on the scale of illegal aliens in America? Please let me know.

Yeah it's a big joke, but we are suffering.

Billions spent on illegals isn't so funny.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Oh, for the sake of baby ducks.
Quote:
What did you do to make things better? Did you catch a lot of MS13 gang members trying to recruit supposedly 'non violent offenders'?
Is there corruption in the jails where some guards take bribes?
Ad hominem again. OK, enough, I'm calling it for what it is: when will Trumptards learn how to formulate a cogent argument without resorting to personal attacks and non-consequential tangents?
Quote:
Also how about cutting off immigration both legal and illegal from countries with a high level of violence/terrorism?
How about this will not actually accomplish anything, because, ta-dah!
Quote:
BTW Most of the MS13 gang members arrested recently in L.A were... 'undocumented immigrants' .
Criminals will find a way. By cutting off this kind of immigration, you are limiting maybe about 5% of the criminal influx while doing a lot more damage by a). depriving people seeking to escape the dangers of a way out and b). breeding resentment in those same people and therefore turning some of them into potential fodder for gangs/terrorists. If there is no way out, many of them will gravitate to the one source of (false) sanctuary. It's human nature and it's the reason oppressive regimes keep the minions down and dumb - so that they don't know any better and can't seek any better. On the other hand, the criminal element who want to make it over to the States will find a way. Like you said, they aren't legal immigrants, so cutting off legal immigration will accomplish nothing. Cutting off illegal immigration? By all means. We're all for it. (emphasis added for when you again get the itch to call us out for coddling illegal aliens) But smarter minds than you or I have tried and failed to do it and the measures you and your POS in chief are proposing won't work.
Quote:
Sure there are some good people there too..but maybe we should work on fixing our problems here before we continue importing more people from these countries.
The problem isn't with "importing" people. The legal immigration process is arduous and complicated enough (I should know, I'm a product of that process) and we have enough quotas in place to make sure that we are not overcome. The problem is not with legal immigration and you even say so yourself.
Quote:
Los Angeles is the biggest sanctuary city in America and MS13 street gangs thrive here.
Is there a non sanctuary city with a bigger MS13 problem versus L.A? Please let us know.
The fact that L.A. is a sanctuary city is only part of the problem. Hell, MS13 itself is only part of the problem. They aren't the only major gang that thrives in the U.S., after all. Geography plays a large role. Milwaukee doesn't have an MS13 problem because it's a bit far to get to from San Salvador. L.A. is right there.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Conservative is the wrong word.
It's the counter-word to the all-encompassing "liberals" used by jm and his ilk.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Oh, for the sake of baby ducks.Ad hominem again. OK, enough, I'm calling it for what it is: when will Trumptards learn how to formulate a cogent argument without resorting to personal attacks and non-consequential tangents? How about this will not actually accomplish anything, because, ta-dah!Criminals will find a way. By cutting off this kind of immigration, you are limiting maybe about 5% of the criminal influx while doing a lot more damage by a). depriving people seeking to escape the dangers of a way out and b). breeding resentment in those same people and therefore turning some of them into potential fodder for gangs/terrorists. If there is no way out, many of them will gravitate to the one source of (false) sanctuary. It's human nature and it's the reason oppressive regimes keep the minions down and dumb - so that they don't know any better and can't seek any better. On the other hand, the criminal element who want to make it over to the States will find a way. Like you said, they aren't legal immigrants, so cutting off legal immigration will accomplish nothing. Cutting off illegal immigration? By all means. We're all for it. But smarter minds than you or I have tried and failed to do it.The problem isn't with "importing" people. The legal immigration process is arduous and complicated enough (I should know, I'm a product of that process) and we have enough quotas in place to make sure that we are not overcome. The problem is not with legal immigration and you even say so yourself.The fact that L.A. is a sanctuary city is only part of the problem. Hell, MS13 itself is only part of the problem. They aren't the only major gang that thrives in the U.S., after all. Geography plays a large role. Milwaukee doesn't have an MS13 problem because it's a bit far to get to from San Salvador. L.A. is right there.
You complain about so called personal attacks which I didn't engage in . Yet use the term Trumptard .
Hypocritical much ?

You are all for cutting down illegal immigration? I guess you aren't a Democrat then because they are all for illegal immigration , at least the Mayor of L.A and many others are .
"America /L.A is a place for people from all over the world regardless of immigration status "
"We need to build bridges .. not walls "

This is the language of leading Dems and progressives these days

Do you support a border wall ?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You complain about so called personal attacks which I didn't engage in . Yet use the term Trumptard .
Hypocritical much ?
I didn't call you personally a Trumptard. However, if you did take it personally, well, then, unfortunately, the shoe fits.
Quote:
You are all for cutting down illegal immigration? I guess you aren't a Democrat then because they are all for illegal immigration , at least the Mayor of L.A and many others are .
I'm a registered Democrat and voted for HRC, but I lean more Libertarian.

Also, no, Democrats aren't "all for illegal immigration". It's a brainless populist statement the right is using to emphasize its own flawed points and it's a shame to see it continuously regurgitated by people who should know better.
Quote:
"America /L.A is a place for people from all over the world regardless of immigration status "
"We need to build bridges .. not walls "
Look at what these statements are countering. Extremes on both sides are wrong.
Quote:
Do you support a border wall ?
Of course I don't. For the same reason I don't support banning all gun sales or simply throwing MS13 members in jail without solving the underlying issue or banning Muslims from entering the U.S. - it's yet another populist band-aid that panders to the lowest common denominator and will cost billions of taxpayer money while accomplishing precisely nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles