Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

This sheriff blames Obama policies for rise of MS13

"
A large portion of the MS-13 gang members are here illegally,” DeMarco added. “And they arrive in the country through the Unaccompanied Minor Program, which was really loosened up and formed under President Obama.”

Sheriff blames Obama for wave of MS-13 gang violence | New York Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 08:29 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Well considering a huge number of them are illegal . Ramping up deportations and helping supporting a strong border maybe ?
It's funny we haven't heard a peep from our Mayor about fighting MS13 , I guess he doesn't want to offend them .
Do you ever think maybe criminals come to L.A and CA because of the liberal policies they can exploit ?
The problem is a huge number of them are citizens and are recruited in prison, I thought I had made that clear. But by all means deport every single illegal gang member ASAP, I couldn't agree more, and as much as you hate Obama that was his policy too. Why you think that "liberals" are opposed to that is just flat out amazing.

My point was, and is - how do we keep young people from joining gangs? Since the gangs primarily recruit in prison my suggestion was that we might do well to confine non-violent young offenders in a different environment without an active gang culture. You don't like that idea, fine come up with one of your own but don't whine about the problem if you are unwilling to at least discuss solutions.

Criminals come to LA because of liberal policies? What do you think they do study local governments and read internet forums to decide where to live? For the most part LA criminals were born and bred there, Hispanic gangs are very distinctly regional, a Sureno (southerner) is always a Sureno, a bulldog (Fresno) is always a bulldog.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
This sheriff blames Obama policies for rise of MS13
A large portion of the MS-13 gang members are here illegally,” DeMarco added. “And they arrive in the country through the Unaccompanied Minor Program, which was really loosened up and formed under President Obama.”
Sheriff blames Obama for wave of MS-13 gang violence | New York Post
yes of course we all know that a County Sheriff could never be wrong, nor would they try to blame someone/something other than their own failures for rising crime rates.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The problem is a huge number of them are citizens and are recruited in prison, I thought I had made that clear. But by all means deport every single illegal gang member ASAP, I couldn't agree more, and as much as you hate Obama that was his policy too. Why you think that "liberals" are opposed to that is just flat out amazing.

My point was, and is - how do we keep young people from joining gangs? Since the gangs primarily recruit in prison my suggestion was that we might do well to confine non-violent young offenders in a different environment without an active gang culture. You don't like that idea, fine come up with one of your own but don't whine about the problem if you are unwilling to at least discuss solutions.

Criminals come to LA because of liberal policies? What do you think they do study local governments and read internet forums to decide where to live? For the most part LA criminals were born and bred there, Hispanic gangs are very distinctly regional, a Sureno (southerner) is always a Sureno, a bulldog (Fresno) is always a bulldog.
Obamas policy was to be weak on immigration just like the rest of the Dem party today .

Another good idea would be to get rid of birthright citizenship . No more anchor baby nonsense . How many of these gangbangers are anchor babies but have illegal parents ? Probably a lot .

What kind of different environment ? They are in prison for a reason because they committed a crime likely multiple crimes before they finally got caught .

Yes the criminals know where they can be accepted and fit in . I mean we have Mayor in L.A that lectured us that we should thank criminals for serving their jail time . Lot's of these scumbags are evil but it doesn't mean they are necessarily dumb .
We've been trying the soft on crime approach and it's not working .
We have people that have been deported dozens of times . Obviously it's a joke . Jail time isn't long enough too

We need to get tougher bottom line

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Obamas policy was to be weak on immigration just like the rest of the Dem party today .
Really?? Here is a different opinion from that bastion of liberal thought, National Review
"...according to ABC News, President Obama deported more illegal immigrants during his tenure than the sum of all deportations throughout the 20th century. (This statistic is based only on “removals,” or individuals deported from within the U.S., rather than “returns,” or individuals sent back to their native country at the U.S. border.) In other words: Illegal immigrants in the United States have long dealt with the fear that ICE officers would be knocking at their door. In fiscal year 2012, for example, ICE removed over 400,000 illegal aliens, a number that was high enough to prompt frenzied anti-deportation rhetoric and, eventually, motivate the Obama administration to sign the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals order that the president had previously insisted was illegal. Where, it must be asked, was the press outcry then, back when the Obama administration conducted ICE raids that were nearly indistinguishable from last week’s? Where were the Valentine’s Day Twitter hashtags such as #ToImmigrantsWithLove that we see today?"
Quote:
What kind of different environment ? They are in prison for a reason because they committed a crime likely multiple crimes before they finally got caught .
I already addressed that, please go read my prior posts if you missed it.
Quote:
Yes the criminals know where they can be accepted and fit in . I mean we have Mayor in L.A that lectured us that we should thank criminals for serving their jail time . Lot's of these scumbags are evil but it doesn't mean they are necessarily dumb . We've been trying the soft on crime approach and it's not working .We have people that have been deported dozens of times . Obviously it's a joke . Jail time isn't long enough too We need to get tougher bottom line
The "criminals" stay where they were born, or where they landed when they entered the US, whether that is Houston Texas, New Orleans Louisiana, Salina Kansas, or Los Angeles California. It has NOTHING to do with the mayor, or the city council or anyone else who you might try to blame. It currently costs $66,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California state prison for one year. There is no evidence that putting people in state prison reduces crime or dissuades other people from committing crime, there is ample evidence that we should reserve prison for the people we are afraid of not those who we simply dislike. There is really nothing 'soft' about California's approach to criminal justice, what we have been witnessing is the difficulty of trying to figure out which inmates to put in prison and which to keep out since the Supreme Court has capped the California prison population and the state is running up against that population limit nearly every month. I know that complex problems aren't fun to talk about, it's much more fun to throw around phrases like 'lock em up, tough on crime, build the wall' but life is very hard to reduce to slogans

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Really?? Here is a different opinion from that bastion of liberal thought, National Review
"...according to ABC News, President Obama deported more illegal immigrants during his tenure than the sum of all deportations throughout the 20th century. (This statistic is based only on “removals,” or individuals deported from within the U.S., rather than “returns,” or individuals sent back to their native country at the U.S. border.) In other words: Illegal immigrants in the United States have long dealt with the fear that ICE officers would be knocking at their door. In fiscal year 2012, for example, ICE removed over 400,000 illegal aliens, a number that was high enough to prompt frenzied anti-deportation rhetoric and, eventually, motivate the Obama administration to sign the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals order that the president had previously insisted was illegal. Where, it must be asked, was the press outcry then, back when the Obama administration conducted ICE raids that were nearly indistinguishable from last week’s? Where were the Valentine’s Day Twitter hashtags such as #ToImmigrantsWithLove that we see today?"

I already addressed that, please go read my prior posts if you missed it.

The "criminals" stay where they were born, or where they landed when they entered the US, whether that is Houston Texas, New Orleans Louisiana, Salina Kansas, or Los Angeles California. It has NOTHING to do with the mayor, or the city council or anyone else who you might try to blame. It currently costs $66,000 a year to keep an inmate in a California state prison for one year. There is no evidence that putting people in state prison reduces crime or dissuades other people from committing crime, there is ample evidence that we should reserve prison for the people we are afraid of not those who we simply dislike. There is really nothing 'soft' about California's approach to criminal justice, what we have been witnessing is the difficulty of trying to figure out which inmates to put in prison and which to keep out since the Supreme Court has capped the California prison population and the state is running up against that population limit nearly every month. I know that complex problems aren't fun to talk about, it's much more fun to throw around phrases like 'lock em up, tough on crime, build the wall' but life is very hard to reduce to slogans
I know you don't live in L.A so maybe you don't realize crime including violent crime is rising here .
Yes it's expensive to keep people in jail but what value do you put on someone's life or safety ? Maybe that person in jail would of killed someone .

What are you talking about "putting people in jail that we dislike " ? All criminals are in jail due to crimes committed .
Can you give some examples of people that are in jail "because we don't like them "???

Yes I don't like criminals. There I said it . I'm prejudiced against them and discriminate against them too .

Electric chair on your third time in jail , think crime won't go down ?
How many "chances" should we be giving people ?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I know you don't live in L.A so maybe you don't realize crime including violent crime is rising here .
Yes it's expensive to keep people in jail but what value do you put on someone's life or safety ? Maybe that person in jail would of killed someone .
What are you talking about "putting people in jail that we dislike " ? All criminals are in jail due to crimes committed .
Can you give some examples of people that are in jail "because we don't like them "???
Yes I don't like criminals. There I said it . I'm prejudiced against them and discriminate against them too .
Electric chair on your third time in jail , think crime won't go down ?
How many "chances" should we be giving people ?
Oh geezus..I worked in law enforcement for over two decades, don't twist what I say and infer that I don't care about public safety. And FYI: you can't sentence someone to death after their third jail sentence, try reading the 8th amendment.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Oh geezus..I worked in law enforcement for over two decades, don't twist what I say and infer that I don't care about public safety. And FYI: you can't sentence someone to death after their third jail sentence, try reading the 8th amendment.
Ok so how many chances should we give them if 3 isn't enough ?

What's the number ? How many victims do they need to create ?

I didn't realize you were a constitutionalist too .

Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Ok so how many chances should we give them if 3 isn't enough ?
What's the number ? How many victims do they need to create ?
I didn't realize you were a constitutionalist too .
I attempted to explain the 8th amendment to you; you cannot inflict the death penalty on a person based upon the number of times they have been incarcerated. Perhaps this will help you understand the Court's position on this:

Quote:
As it relates to crimes against individuals, though, the death penalty should not be expanded to instances where the victim’s life was not taken.
-Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing for the majority in Kennedy v. Louisiana (2008)

Old 05-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I attempted to explain the 8th amendment to you; you cannot inflict the death penalty on a person based upon the number of times they have been incarcerated. Perhaps this will help you understand the Court's position on this:
Well I was kind of joking about the electric chair . Life in prison then.
Just curious , why do you have such a soft spot for criminals ? It's pretty fascinating .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles