Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 05:40 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quique07 View Post
This is what I'm referring to. How many natives know that these are the actual city limits of city of LA.
How many actually care? Judging form responses I'd guess none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 05:59 PM

47 posts, read 59,188 times
Quote:
This is what I'm referring to. How many natives know that these are the actual city limits of city of LA.
City limits are boundaries for municipal governance, they aren't really significant beyond that.

Does anyone seriously consider Sylmar to be more 'LA' than Beverly Hills or Culver City?

LA proper=City of Los Angeles
LA=LA county (excluding everything north of the SFV and SGV)
Greater LA=LA CSA/Urban Area

Old 10-16-2017, 08:34 PM

240 posts, read 240,632 times
Just wanted to say that map was actually useful, quique07! I knew everything up to El Segundo, and there was a little stretch below, but I wasn't sure on those boundaries specifically.

But overall I also find most people - local or living here for a significant period of time - do not know about the cities. When I go to sell in Santa Monica, or Burbank, or Glendale, or Pasadena... they all have different regulations and requirements. Like Pasadena has a City of Pas occupancy certification that LA City doesn't. People might be looking over multiple neighborhoods and not realize that they are going to be totally different from each other.

But when it comes to going out of state or dealing with outsiders I just say I'm from LA. Then if pushed, I say I'm around Burbank. I'm really in the NoHo Arts District but it's more about the association of familiarity and no one is going to know NoHo Arts versus LA and it's not worth trying to explain unless they're super familiar with the area.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 21,059 times
Someone here said something to me and then changed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
LA is only a 45 minute drive or 1 hour train ride for me and that is great.
Thats still pretty far.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrileno en Los Angeles View Post
^ lol if you think 45 minutes is far, you probably don't get out much nor travel "far"
Thats pretty far. You drive that far everyday in traffic?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrileno en Los Angeles View Post
No, i choose to live close to where i work. My commute is a 2 mile drive on surface streets. But LA feels right around the corner for Western Riverside and San Bernardino County. Keep in mind that suburbs like Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, and Eastvale are closer in distance and faster in travel time to LA than most of Southern OC like San Clemente and Mission Viejo that are 60 miles out there. Lancaster and Palmdale within LA county are far off to (72 miles).
Anything close to an hour can be pretty stressful.

Last edited by MalibuNights; 10-16-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM

243 posts, read 225,035 times
Did anybody found shocking that East Los Angeles isn't part of City of LA... and that Hollywood is, but West Hollywood is not...

Old 10-17-2017, 08:27 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,037,445 times
Quote:
Hello Forum,

This might be a repeat, but haven't seen it being discussed..at least not recently.

But here's a question to LA Natives,

Who knows exactly how big LA is and what is considered LA and what is not?

I know is a silly question, but you'll be surprised on how many people, NATIVES, think that Northridge, Van Nuys, Hollywood, San Pedro are really independent cities... To most, when someone says, "I'm going to LA" they think of DTLA! That's it.

More shocking, is when you try to explain them that neighborhoods like Northridge, Van Nuys, Hollywood, San Pedro, among others are really part of City of LA and not they're own city, they hit you with the

"No they're part of La County, but not part of LA..."

So honestly, how many of us in this forum, still think City of LA is confined to DTLA???
I'll shoot.

When I lived Southern California, I considered "LA" to be all of Los Angeles county EXCEPT:

-Long Beach
-Anywhere north of the foot of the San Fernando and San Gabriel mountains (Palmdale and Lancaster are not LA even though they are within LA county)
-Parts of LA county east of the 605 part of the inland empire (e.g. Glendora)

I can't say I speak for anyone else, but that is how I categorized it in my head.

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Did anybody found shocking that East Los Angeles isn't part of City of LA... and that Hollywood is, but West Hollywood is not...
More so West Hollywood.

East Los Angeles not so much.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM

243 posts, read 225,035 times
I think the postal service has played a big role on this "what's LA and what's not" confusion...
because if you send a letter to someone in Van Nuys or San Pedro,

your letter will reach its destination by putting "Van Nuys, CA or San Pedro, CA"
when in reality it should be "Van Nuys, Los Angeles, CA" same for SP.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles