Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 07:38 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times

Advertisements

Interesting article it’s from Curbed L.A which has the typical liberal media slant on things but still .
Make L.A Clean Again

——
LA ‘sterilized’ its streets for the ’84 Olympics—how will it treat the homeless in 2028?
“Whenever you have these big sporting events, there’s an attempt to make folks disappear”

https://la.curbed.com/2018/7/12/1745...ation-security
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 07:44 AM

San Francisco’s Homeless problem and crime problem has led to a loss of business .
Wonder how much L.A has lost due to our bad policies .

San Francisco's new mayor confronts city in turmoil amid crime, homelessness, lost business

San Francisco's new mayor confronts city in turmoil amid crime, homelessness, lost business | Fox News

Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 AM

872 posts, read 596,088 times
They are already manipulating the news reports and probably not reporting a LOT! Notice they are either not saying ANYTHING about the perpetrators or using fire department terminology like... no other details were disclosed, the case is still under investigation, etc..... feel good stories about how letting the "homeless" wander around doing anything they want 24/7 is so awesome!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
so much for the times being owned by a conservative...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM

Hmmm kind of like the LAPD stats that showed crime was down since LAPD “underreported” the numbers ?

More sidewalk tents, but fewer people living in them? The 2018 homeless count's new math
More sidewalk tents, but fewer people living in them? The 2018 homeless count's new math

Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Hmmm kind of like the LAPD stats that showed crime was down since LAPD “underreported” the numbers ?

It doesn't appear that you read the article...

Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It doesn't appear that you read the article...
Yeah I did ...

The homeless situation is worse is what it said from the first paragraph.

Number of tents , homeless vehicles etc means it’s worse for people that live in L.A

I know you don’t care though since you live in Sacramento.

“In announcing this spring that homelessness was down in Los Angeles for the first time in four years, officials drew little attention to another statistic cryptically suggesting an opposite trend.
It was in a bullet point on page 13 of the 2018 homeless count report: the number of tents, vehicles and makeshift shelters had increased.”

Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
I think I’m supposed to show up here now ... since 2sleepy and I are the same poster ... right?

Ok. Attendance taken!

Old 07-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah I did ...
The homeless situation is worse is what it said from the first paragraph.
Number of tents , homeless vehicles etc means it’s worse for people that live in L.A
I know you don’t care though since you live in Sacramento.
“In announcing this spring that homelessness was down in Los Angeles for the first time in four years, officials drew little attention to another statistic cryptically suggesting an opposite trend.
It was in a bullet point on page 13 of the 2018 homeless count report: the number of tents, vehicles and makeshift shelters had increased.”
Sacramento? Dang you are really triggered about Sacramento but here's the good news, since we don't have a homeless problem like you do you in LA you might want to consider moving here

The relevant part of the article that you failed to mention is this:

Quote:
The numbers come from a survey conducted separately from the January count, when thousands of volunteers fan out to every census tract in the county. The volunteers count the number of tents, makeshift shelters and vehicles, but for safety and privacy are instructed not to engage people or attempt to count how many people are in them.

For the survey, paid workers interview about 5,000 homeless people to gauge the demographics of the population. In addition to recording age, race, geographic origin and health status, they determine how many live in each tent, car, van, recreational vehicle and makeshift shelter.

Applying a statistical formula to the survey information leads to a multiplier for each type of shelter. Those multipliers changed in 2018.

The average number of individuals living in each tent, for example, was fixed at 1.691 in the 2017 survey. This year it was reduced to 1.516, a difference of about one person for every five tents.
So we are talking about a conflict in numbers between two different studies that employed different methodologies in collecting data, that's all it means. I'm not sure either one is right. They extrapolate estimates on the number of homeless based on the observation of a relatively sample of that population. What matters is that you have an awful problem in LA that everyone likes to whine about but nothing is ever done to address the issues, and don't feel picked on - that's the same thing that is happening in most large cities.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:49 AM

I’m not triggered about Sacramento just find it funny you are always posting in the L.A forum since you don’t live here ..and you admitted you don’t care about the homeless situation in L.A

Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I’m not triggered about Sacramento just find it funny you are always posting in the L.A forum since you don’t live here ..and you admitted you don’t care about the homeless situation in L.A
And as I have already made clear, homelessness is not a problem limited to Los Angeles, so I discuss homelessness in several different sub forums. But if you think that is inappropriate ask a moderator to make a rule limiting posts here to residents of LA and I will abide by it. But in the mean time, your constant references to Sacramento when it has no relevance to the discussion could be inferred as trolling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles