Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 05:10 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
What I meant was social security. It was never intended to be given to everybody who ever worked. It's intent was to assist the elderly who were no longer able to work. Also the disabled, blind etc. and as a public welfare so the less fortunate & elderly would Not be living on the streets.

Somewhere along the line, everyone starting using it as a kicker to their savings as a way to finance that cruise ship vacation, or new car in their retirement.

If social security was used as intended, many of the homeless would not be homeless. Not all of coarse, but the majority would have sufficient funds to live in an affordable area without the need to stay in L.A. to beg from the masses.
So you believe that the reason most people are homeless is because they've used their SS money to finance luxury cruises and expensive cars? You can't be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
No. What I meant was social security. It was never intended to be given to everybody who ever worked. It's intent was to assist the elderly who were no longer able to work. Also the disabled, blind etc. and as a public welfare so the less fortunate & elderly would Not be living on the streets.

Somewhere along the line, everyone starting using it as a kicker to their savings as a way to finance that cruise ship vacation, or new car in their retirement.

If social security was used as intended, many of the homeless would not be homeless. Not all of coarse, but the majority would have sufficient funds to live in an affordable area without the need to stay in L.A. to beg from the masses.
Read it again. It was initially designed to help those who worked to have some assistance in retirement, though not enough to cover all their costs.

Over the years it has been updated to help those with serious disabilities. This has increased the cost. When I started working the deduction was a lot smaller than now. The level of salary it was limited to has gone up a huge amount to. Mind you, I do not believe there should be any cap on income subject to the tax.

Many of the homeless are on SSI and still live on the streets because they are on drugs and alcohol that eat up their funds. Giving them more would not cure their problem. The ones who can be helped are usually not on any form of Social Security as they are healthy and younger and are working or looking for work. Some get Gov't assistance in several forms and usually are no longer homeless within 2 years. The major problem is the ones who do not want to change their lives at all.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:34 PM

1,022 posts, read 738,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So you believe that the reason most people are homeless is because they've used their SS money to finance luxury cruises and expensive cars? You can't be serious.
Not at all. Not what I said. Please read again

Old 08-27-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Read it again. It was initially designed to help those who worked to have some assistance in retirement, though not enough to cover all their costs.

Over the years it has been updated to help those with serious disabilities. This has increased the cost. When I started working the deduction was a lot smaller than now. The level of salary it was limited to has gone up a huge amount to. Mind you, I do not believe there should be any cap on income subject to the tax.

Many of the homeless are on SSI and still live on the streets because they are on drugs and alcohol that eat up their funds. Giving them more would not cure their problem. The ones who can be helped are usually not on any form of Social Security as they are healthy and younger and are working or looking for work. Some get Gov't assistance in several forms and usually are no longer homeless within 2 years. The major problem is the ones who do not want to change their lives at all.
Read it again. Original purpose was for the elderly, disabled etc. to provide the financial support to Not live on the streets.

https://www.ssa.gov › history › 35act

Old 08-27-2019, 07:41 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,337,681 times
Quote:
Read it again. Original purpose was for the elderly, disabled etc. to provide the financial support to Not live on the streets.

https://www.ssa.gov › history › 35act
Lol. You keep linking this generic Social Security page that says nothing about your claim. Try again.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lol. You keep linking this generic Social Security page that says nothing about your claim. Try again.
He needs to read this:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhistory3.html

It is called a brief history but it isn't brief.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
He needs to read this:

https://www.ssa.gov/history/briefhistory3.html

It is called a brief history but it isn't brief.

I did take the time to read the link you posted. I could not find in it anywhere that says all who worked & paid into SS will be paid back a portion of any kind.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I wouldn't call the law signed by a president of the U.S. generic.

Maybe the link did not work for you. If you are interested in seeing the law, type "purpose of social security act' into Google.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:25 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don’t see why we should be paying for anybody that comes here from elsewhere.
We're not, as has been pointed out to you before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
People are taking advantage of us
Someone certainly took advantage of this man. Horrible.

Homeless man burned to death in skid row area:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-skid-row-area

Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM

42,841 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:

Show me a rental in LA that you can get for $910 which is how much an SSI recipient receives. The problem is that many of the homeless receive SSI, SSDI or SS pensions but it doesn't even cover a motel room for more than a week or two. In LA as well as other urban areas, SRO's and cheap motels have been torn down with no thought about what will happen to the people living in them.

Chicago requires that before a motel is torn down or sold it has to be offered for sale to the City so that it could be rehabbed and converted into low cost housing. On the other hand Reno is tearing down as many old motels and hotels as they can. They kept a lot of people off the streets for many years because you could rent a room for $100-$150 a week which is affordable to many low income people and retirees. Here is a group of people at a meeting about tearing down the motels, most of them are (were) residents of those motels. Take a look at them, they don't look very scary do they? I can't help but wonder what they will look like after sleeping on the sidewalk for a year or two.

(reproduced pursuant to fair use doctrine) https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...499378951.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles