Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 01:04 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
True, but it's a start, and since someone mentioned on another thread that Project Homekey was a waste of taxpayer money, it's good to know that at least some families are being placed through it.
Yes it is better than nothing. However what did it costs and who benefited from the cash flow? The down side is that probably far more than 40 families have become homeless since they started the program. Wish it was otherwise. I am glad that in looking to the next area of SoCalifornia I would considering moving too, the problems are far less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 11:15 AM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
Default I have an idea regarding the homeless.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see we have a huge, seemingly unsolvable problem regarding the homeless in this city.

The city is spending millions upon millions of dollars building new apartments for these people, and to me it is wasted money.

One need look no further than Boyle Heights to see the answer to this homeless situation.

For years, the old county hospital has stood empty because the city would not spend the money to retro fit the property for earthquakes.
No decision was ever made to tear it down, so there it sits, a viable solution to the homeless , just rotting away.
Instead of building high cost apartment buildings all over the city, that money could be better spent on retro fitting the hospital property, and housing the homeless.

I don't have an exact figure of how many rooms are in that complex, but I am sure it is in the thousands.

I think if a comparison could be made, retro fitting as opposed to new apartment building construction, I believe retro fitting the property would be the way to go.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:21 PM

58 posts, read 69,839 times
Kudos for thinking outside of the box. However, without knowing precise cost one can't say if that option of fixing up an old hospital (or other building) is going to be worth it. There are cases in life where the cost to have something fixed or upgraded cost more than just getting something new that already has the features or etc and that could very well be the case here with this old hospital.

I do think all of these old abandoned/unused buildings should be torn down or repurposed though .

Old 01-13-2021, 12:31 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
That’s a really good idea. Every hospital room has a bathroom shower and sink and there’s a large cafeteria on site. They could even reopen the ER to treat people medically.

Never fear though DeLeon has it figured out with his 25/25 plan. 25,000 homeless facilities to be opened by 2025. They better get to building though because I just read homeless is supposed to increase by 85% in Ca in the very near future.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:15 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Dan Flaming, president of the Economic Roundtable, has some suggestions to help prevent this predicted increase in homelessness.

Massive job losses caused by the COVID-19 pandemic nationwide will leave tens of thousands of low-wage workers without homes over the next three years, a report* published Tuesday by a Los Angeles-based research group forecasts.

Los Angeles County, already struggling with one of the nation’s largest homeless populations, will be especially hard hit, on a per-capita basis, because of its large low-wage labor force and high housing costs.

Based on the effects of the 2008 recession, the Economic Roundtable report “Locked Out” concludes that pandemic-related unemployment will start a brutal cycle of homelessness. It says the uptick began as a trickle in 2020, but will triple this year and peak by 2023.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-homes-by-2023

* https://economicrt.org/publication/locked-out/

Old 01-13-2021, 01:38 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
I know this sounds harsh, but...whatever.

They've really gotta think about re-opening asylums and mental hospitals.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:44 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I know this sounds harsh, but...whatever.

They've really gotta think about re-opening asylums and mental hospitals.
This right here.

You can do a ton of different things to help the homeless but until people realize that some people just can't be helped (outside of a mental hospital) you're going to have issues.

This is not a popular opinion but sometimes I think you just need to cut your losses & save who you can. That being people who are close to being homeless (offer a safety net of some kind) and those who just became homeless. The others are (majority wise) are already lost. If they weren't on drugs before they are now. But see this is the problem. People want to save everybody and you just can't & by trying to save everybody you never make the situation better.

A lot of people also are against cutting social services. I'm not saying I'm in favor of everything but people do become dependent on certain social services and human nature for us Americans is that when people start giving you stuff you just don't do your part.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:02 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,054,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
This right here.

You can do a ton of different things to help the homeless but until people realize that some people just can't be helped (outside of a mental hospital) you're going to have issues.

This is not a popular opinion but sometimes I think you just need to cut your losses & save who you can. That being people who are close to being homeless (offer a safety net of some kind) and those who just became homeless. The others are (majority wise) are already lost. If they weren't on drugs before they are now. But see this is the problem. People want to save everybody and you just can't & by trying to save everybody you never make the situation better.

A lot of people also are against cutting social services. I'm not saying I'm in favor of everything but people do become dependent on certain social services and human nature for us Americans is that when people start giving you stuff you just don't do your part.
Under normal, non-pandemic circumstances where the economy is good, I'd imagine if you gave the most of
the homeless a choice where they:

A.) Had to seek employment/rehabilitation/job training, etc. (with a deadline)

-- or --

B.) Enrolled into an asylum/mental hospital.

The vast majority of them would be using their state-issued cell phones to track down the nearest state/county workforce office within a week.

Sadly, we have enabled a lot of this behavior by pretending that they're just down-on-their-luck. While some truly are, I feel like the majority are taking advantage of a charitable public. Eventually, though, the public will run out of patience and tire of the mess they see. When that happens, don't expect any more charity.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:36 PM

148 posts, read 137,167 times
The ONLY solution to the problem with vagrants
Offer the vagrants three choices:
1) Stop being homeless OR
2) Accept room and board in return for sobriety and WORK (via job shops) OR
3) Get arrested and be put to work.
The couple of percent who truly are too ill to work, we will take care of (after we've concluded they have no assets or income).
The job shops partition out work the illegals are doing now: picking crops, processing chicken, sorting recyclables, cleaning buses, repairing hiking trails, picking up trash, etc. The employers pay back the government to offset the cost of the room and board or incarceration.
There are no other solutions. Get tough or accept vagrancy.This is bullet proof. Win Win Win Win Win.
If you have a better solution, provide it.

Old 01-13-2021, 03:51 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Renaissance View Post
The ONLY solution to the problem with vagrants
Offer the vagrants three choices:
1) Stop being homeless OR
2) Accept room and board in return for sobriety and WORK (via job shops) OR
3) Get arrested and be put to work.
The couple of percent who truly are too ill to work, we will take care of (after we've concluded they have no assets or income).
The job shops partition out work the illegals are doing now: picking crops, processing chicken, sorting recyclables, cleaning buses, repairing hiking trails, picking up trash, etc. The employers pay back the government to offset the cost of the room and board or incarceration.
There are no other solutions. Get tough or accept vagrancy.This is bullet proof. Win Win Win Win Win.
If you have a better solution, provide it.
It would have been nice if you had bothered to research the issue. If you had, you might have found that:
1. If people could just stop being homeless they would have already done that
2. Forced labor is unconstitutional you cannot require people to pluck chickens just because they are homeless, get real.
3. Being homeless is not a crime per the Supreme Court of the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles