Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
Wouldn't taking the Metro make that much quicker? Maybe an Uber (or Bird) to/from the Metro and work/home?

I'm surprised by how well it works, although I do think they could make it a little bit faster, say 15-20% from current speeds, assuming the rails and trains are built for it.

I get to DTLA via Expo line on 26th in about 40 minutes.
For a local person it will be fine. For most people it won’t work. What about construction companies? You basically just told them they’re going to close up shop one day a week since all their cars are registered to one place. Good bye productivity and making money that day.

I live 62 miles away from where I work. There is absolutely no way for me to take public transportation and get there. Even if I carpool I have to drive to the carpool meeting spot. Same if I took public transportation. I can’t just get on a bus and get to work. I can’t sell my house and move to Westwood.

Instead of limiting drive times why can’t these tards actually design a public transportation system that works instead of a expensive unworkable high speed train or the system we have now. I know. Because politics, money and favors run deep in our government. It’s practically impossible to get a person from IE to LA on public transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 09:08 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So this means my registration, my insurance, my gas taxes are gonna be reduced. I mean since you’re limiting my use of the roads my taxes and registration are paying for I should pay less. But somehow I doubt that’s gonna be the case. I’m paying full price to use these roads. I should have full use of them.

I look forward to voting no on your bill/prop should it come up on the ballot. Yeah the brilliant minds in Sacramento.....Hopefully it will end up in the dumpster where it belongs. Welcome to another let’s ruin the state even more bill. Brought to you by another guy who sticks his nose in everyone’s business
Perhaps WHEN this bill passes(it will never be put to a vote of the people in a proposition)you may want to consider moving to another state.
Perhaps Wyoming would be better suited to you.
No traffic congestion like here in California.
When traffic effects me and all others like it does in this state, you can bet you ass I am going to stick my nose in other people's business,whether they like it or not.

One other item you probably are not going to like.
I am also involved in another "hot button" item with the state assembly, and that is the use of fireworks through out the state, especially in areas where it is illegal, and not being enforced.

With all the devastating fires we have had, just this year alone, no doubt, this one will sail through the assembly.

The fireworks lobby is going to be powerless to stop this legislation.
I have more ammunition to take them on, than they could possible deal with.

Bob.

Last edited by CALGUY; 09-02-2018 at 09:24 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 10:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Perhaps WHEN this bill passes(it will never be put to a vote of the people in a proposition)you may want to consider moving to another state.
Perhaps Wyoming would be better suited to you.
No traffic congestion like here in California.
When traffic effects me and all others like it does in this state, you can bet you ass I am going to stick my nose in other people's business,whether they like it or not.

One other item you probably are not going to like.
I am also involved in another "hot button" item with the state assembly, and that is the use of fireworks through out the state, especially in areas where it is illegal, and not being enforced.

With all the devastating fires we have had, just this year alone, no doubt, this one will sail through the assembly.

The fireworks lobby is going to be powerless to stop this legislation.
I have more ammunition to take them on, than they could possible deal with.

Bob.

Yeah I dont plan on moving do go fly a kite on that suggestion. Why dont YOU move to Wyoming. Then you can have all the empty roads you want. Why should I move? I’m not whining about the traffic. I’m simply agreeing and stating there is a lot of it. Wait until they calculate how much lost productivity your brilliant plan of one day with non exempt cars will bring to the state. Your wonder plan is just another example of the over reach of this state and the totalitarian government that runs it.
Instead of actually figuring out how to make a working public transportation system you just come up with these “plans”. And everyone will just fall in the party line. And You singlehandedly fixed outer traffic issues.

Good luck with it. It won’t happen, The reason you can’t put it to a vote is because it would never pass. Either way expect a lawsuit pretty quickly. Just like the bs gas tax this will be fought against

I don’t care about fireworks as I don’t buy them. But it’s not my place to stop people from using them. But the businesses making money on the sale of fireworks will care. Don’t exoect them to just go away quietly. Too bad those big fires were caused by utilities, accidents and psychos starting fires not fireworks.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-02-2018 at 11:04 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 07:18 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
I am still actively involved in getting a vehicle use rationing bill through the state assembly.
One day soon(with in the next five years) California will mandate your vehicle stay off the roads one day a week,Monday thru Friday, according to a sticker that will be placed on the inside of the vehicle windshield.
Whatever day is stamped on that sticker is the day the vehicle remains parked.
There is no possibility that a bill like this would pass, especially in light of all the housing being built in California. Unless there's a gasoline shortage, any type of rationing on driving would result in massive protests by drivers here.

Did you live in L.A. during the time of gasoline rationing as a result of the oil crisis?

Quote:
Most are tired of their daily commute, and are frustrated nothing is being done to alleviate the situation in the state.
If you feel so strongly about this, take public transportation, get a job closer to your home, move closer to your job, or carpool....like most others who are tired of the traffic.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There is no possibility that a bill like this would pass, especially in light of all the housing being built in California. Unless there's a gasoline shortage, any type of rationing on driving would result in massive protests by drivers here.

Did you live in L.A. during the time of gasoline rationing as a result of the oil crisis?

If you feel so strongly about this, take public transportation, get a job closer to your home, move closer to your job, or carpool....like most others who are tired of the traffic.
Yes, I was living here in the early seventies, when we could only get gas according to what was on our license plate.

People can moan all they want, but the fact is, there are just to many vehicles on the roads here in California, and sooner or later, this is going to come to a head.
What I have proposed to the state assembly is the least expensive solution to this issue.
Building roads, and adding lanes has not worked.

People who own vehicles, WILL NOT STEP OUT OF THEM TO TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.
The day is fast approaching when vehicles on our freeways will be at a complete standstill, with nothing moving.
Presently the average mph during what we foolishly call "rush hour" is between 8, and 12 mph, and many times 5 mph.
Rationing one day, when one can drive their vehicles, Monday thru Friday, is on the way.

People state, "I would take public transportation, but it doesn't go where I need to be".
This is absolute, and that is never going to change.
The state could never afford to build, and maintain a system that could accommodate all.
That is unrealistic.
There are few options available, and this sticker system is the most viable solution.

Telling people they need to limit their driving is somewhat like sticker shock when purchasing a new vehicle,
We don't want to accept the fact that situations demand change.
New vehicles demand higher sale prices because of higher cost to produce them.
Restricting driving for one day a week is necessary, because there are just to many vehicles on our roads, and freeways.
If one argues that fact, then they are not living on this planet, and are just visiting.

As I said in another post, the DMV is the agency that will be responsible for administering this program.
Presently the DMV is undergoing changes to better handle the day to day business, and once the agency is operating as it should, this sticker program will be instituted.
My guess is with in the next few years, perhaps shorter.

Oh, and as a footnote, the gas rationing system worked extremely well, and people adjusted to it, because they knew it had to be.
The next time you are "parked " on one of our freeways, trying to get to work, just think to yourself, "Damn, I hate to say it,but Calguy is right, it has to be".

Bob.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:56 PM

46 posts, read 31,730 times
Calguy- You must have zero control over your own life from the way that you are trying to control others.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:20 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
The politicians take away freedom, happens all the time. But Californians don't vote them out, they merely pass an initiative to get that bit of freedom back if it is important to them.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:50 AM

One of you posted(don't remember which one) about people in construction would have to shut down for a day with this plan.
That is not the case.
Early on, I stated there would be people who would be exempt from this program:
Law enforcement
People in the medical field.
Fire dept personnel.
Sales people who are on the road in the course of their business.
People who own, and operate a construction business.

For those that think this bill will never pass, you only have to look at the traffic on our freeways , any day of the week, to understand why this program is not only needed, but will pass in the state assembly.

Some mentioned that public transportation should be upgraded to accommodate the needs of people commuting to, and from work.
That is extremely costly, and would indeed raise the tax rate.
This sticker program is the most viable, and less expensive, compared to building new lanes on our freeways.

"Pay to use lanes" has been a joke, just as the diamond lanes of years ago.
Lanes that have been added to the system are obsolete even before they are opened.
The truth is, the amount of vehicles on our crowded freeway system has to be limited, less we have them as nothing more than parking lots.
They are fast becoming just that.

This proposal was initiated for the good of all who use our freeway system.
People not in favor of it need to understand the world does not revolve around you.
The fact you are unwilling to get out of your vehicles for one day a week, speaks volumes about you.
What is wrong with making a sacrifice one day a week, for the good of all?

Bob.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:45 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
The fact you are unwilling to get out of your vehicles for one day a week, speaks volumes about you.
What is wrong with making a sacrifice one day a week, for the good of all?
It's brilliant! One day a week, say Thursday, my husband won't have to go to work (he works alone, so there's no possibility of an employee carpool, and no buses/trains go in his direction). He'll be thrilled to stay home.

My college daughter won't have to go to her school, which is in another direction. Her profs will understand, as on any given day, 1/5 of the students won't be in class anyway.

My high school daughter won't have to go to her school, which is in a third direction, either. Her teachers will get it.

That will solve SO MANY problems! But my middle-school son will be able to ride his bike to school. Sucks to be him.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:50 PM

Are you that anti social that you don't have friends, or relatives that could pitch in and help on the day the vehicles can not be driven.
Ever heard of taxi, or uber.?
Remarkable new inventions.

You don't have school buses where you live?

Do you live in Antartica or the north pole?

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles