Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 01:05 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
You should step back and reason with yourself. These decisions are advised or sometimes directly ordered by the health department. Garcetti for example is minimally involved in what maybe we all agree is the end of Los Angeles dining for 2020. My guess is that all restaurant, bar, and grocery store decisions strongly involve the health department.
Quit guessing your always wrong

Old 12-01-2020, 02:59 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
My guess is that all restaurant, bar, and grocery store decisions strongly involve the health department.
You're right.

"The order came from Los Angeles County health officials, not Garcetti."
-from the article linked in post #130

Old 12-01-2020, 03:52 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
That’s not my definition of people who are sheep. My definition is people who kill their businesses by jumping off a shut down cliff just because some politician with their own agenda tells them too.
Sheep don’t jump off cliffs ... lemmings do. Finper, your (sic) hilarious

Old 12-01-2020, 04:27 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Funny thing is I always ate much more at Souplantation (Sweet Tomatoes when I moved up to the Bay Area) than I ever have at McDonalds. I typically did get some salad, but not sure how much healthier it is when considering that I'd add on flatbread pizza, muffins, soups and desserts. In addition, I'd go back for seconds and would spend much more time there than I ever did at McDonalds.
Yes, exactly. The all-you-can-eat format encourages people to load up as much as possible. And while you can technically call a few lettuce leaves covered with cheese, croutons and creamy dressing a "salad," it's not exactly what the doctor ordered.

Old 12-02-2020, 02:46 PM

"Contact tracing does not show a significant connection between restaurants and community transmission,” Barger stated in an email sent to me Tuesday afternoon by her office. “COVID-19 cases traced back to the county’s restaurants and bars accounted for just 3.1%, or 70 of the 2,257 confirmed outbreaks.”

Barger argued that in the first few months after outdoor dining was permitted in July, positivity rates and hospitalizations declined.

Dr. Sharon Balter, director of acute communicable disease control for Los Angeles County, offered a different perspective. She told me that she and other officials in the Public Health Department “feel horrible” about the hardships of restaurant owners and their employees and customers, “but this was not done lightly,” and restaurants haven’t been singled out as potential spreaders.

The temporary ban on outdoor dining was not based on contact tracing that identified restaurants as spreaders, Balter said. It was based on the fact that cases are rising, that viruses often spread faster and invade the body more easily in colder weather and that even with proper table spacing, taking off your mask to dine — sometimes in the company of people outside your own household — is a risk.

“There does appear to be a seasonal effect ... in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world, and on balance, now seemed like the right time to pause outdoor dining,” Balter said.

Does L.A. County’s crackdown on outdoor dining go too far?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ing-go-too-far

Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM

"A judge on Wednesday ordered Los Angeles County public health officials to show scientific evidence justifying the outdoor dining ban imposed last week amid soaring coronavirus cases.

Outdoor dining had offered a lifeline for struggling restaurants during the pandemic. The California Restaurant Assn. sued to stop the ban, with a downtown L.A. restaurant, Engine Co. No. 28, filing a similar suit."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ning-ban-judge

Old 12-02-2020, 07:08 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Contact tracing does not show a significant connection between restaurants and community transmission,” Barger stated in an email sent to me Tuesday afternoon by her office. “COVID-19 cases traced back to the county’s restaurants and bars accounted for just 3.1%, or 70 of the 2,257 confirmed outbreaks.”

Barger argued that in the first few months after outdoor dining was permitted in July, positivity rates and hospitalizations declined.

Dr. Sharon Balter, director of acute communicable disease control for Los Angeles County, offered a different perspective. She told me that she and other officials in the Public Health Department “feel horrible” about the hardships of restaurant owners and their employees and customers, “but this was not done lightly,” and restaurants haven’t been singled out as potential spreaders.

The temporary ban on outdoor dining was not based on contact tracing that identified restaurants as spreaders, Balter said. It was based on the fact that cases are rising, that viruses often spread faster and invade the body more easily in colder weather and that even with proper table spacing, taking off your mask to dine — sometimes in the company of people outside your own household — is a risk.

“There does appear to be a seasonal effect ... in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world, and on balance, now seemed like the right time to pause outdoor dining,” Balter said.
So...it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. With no actual evidence of any kind. Really??

Old 12-02-2020, 07:20 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Stop being a sheep Exitus. Look at the big picture your being herded and manipulated. If LA residents dumbly follows these orders while all other counties are keeping their restaurants open they deserve to collapse economically
This place is a joke. I have never seen so many people wear their mask while alone in their cars than now. If anyone has been on a roadtrip lately, what is going on in California is a complete 180 to other states next door.

Also has anyone actually driven by or gone in some local area hospitals to see this "war zone"? I'm still trying to find one.

I mean seriously, at this point people have got to have known at least one person who has gotten sick with the cold, I mean coronavirus (same thing). If they weren't over 65 or if they didn't have a series of underlying conditions, then they were better within 3-14 days and many times without antibiotics. This is ridiculous.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This place is a joke. I have never seen so many people wear their mask while alone in their cars than now. If anyone has been on a roadtrip lately, what is going on in California is a complete 180 to other states next door.

Also has anyone actually driven by or gone in some local area hospitals to see this "war zone"? I'm still trying to find one.

I mean seriously, at this point people have got to have known at least one person who has gotten sick with the cold, I mean coronavirus (same thing). If they weren't over 65 or if they didn't have a series of underlying conditions, then they were better within 3-14 days and many times without antibiotics. This is ridiculous.
Moderator cut: see note

There's nothing wrong with wearing a mask in the car if it's a short drive to a masked location. It's more sanitary than going on-and-off with it.

People aren't supposed to be visiting hospitals now unless they work there or are receiving care there. For that matter, people who feel sick or are diagnosed as infected aren't supposed to be around others except for near-unavoidable reasons.

Millions of non-elderly Americans have risk factors that can make them vulnerable to COVID-19, which is a virus and is not treated with antibiotics. Only young people have a very good prognosis of minimal symptoms and quick, full recovery. Bad things can and do happen to other individuals.

I don't know anyone with both a positive test result and symptoms, but acquaintances of mine have several cases, some several in their social circles. Cases are sort of hiding from public view, but there is nothing made up about the virus and it's all over California. The adjacent states don't take the virus as seriously, or it isn't spreading as rapidly there.

Last edited by Count David; 12-03-2020 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 12-02-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So...it just seemed like the thing to do at the time. With no actual evidence of any kind. Really??
Not the way I took that at all. In fact, I think contact tracing is working poorly because people are not giving their actual names and/or phone numbers. See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/cali...hard-work.html, especially the most recent story about the contact tracer and what he has to put up with.

Read the rest of the paragraph in the article. The decision "was based on the fact that cases are rising, that viruses often spread faster and invade the body more easily in colder weather and that even with proper table spacing, taking off your mask to dine — sometimes in the company of people outside your own household — is a risk."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles