Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 11:51 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times

Advertisements

I read the study that came from Israel directly. I don’t need links to tell me what the limitations are.

It had its limitations just as do the studies we do here. The point is that there is no authority on this virus and people pick and choose what they want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 12:12 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I read the study that came from Israel directly. I don’t need links to tell me what the limitations are.
Limitations? I'll say. The authors of the Israel study said that because they conducted an “observational real-world study,” where polymerase chain reaction, or PCR, screening for the coronavirus was not required, “we might be underestimating asymptomatic infections, as these individuals often do not get tested.”

“Lastly,” the authors of the Israeli study wrote, “although we controlled for age, sex, and region of residence, our results might be affected by differences between the groups in terms of health behaviors (such as social distancing and mask wearing), a possible confounder that was not assessed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
people pick and choose what they want to believe.
Sorry; I don't agree.

Old 10-03-2021, 12:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
Most or all COVID-related policy decisions, such as the Los Angeles vaccine mandate for municipal employees, involve advice or feedback from medical experts. Count on it. Also count on the typical citizen to not be very smart and not consistently make good decisions in personal behavior without prodding. Many of us are intellectual elites compared to peers. However, nobody is really entitled to violate norms and move the topic away from what I specified. There's already a thread for most of the diversions.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:39 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Most or all COVID-related policy decisions, such as the Los Angeles vaccine mandate for municipal employees, involve advice or feedback from medical experts. Count on it. Also count on the typical citizen to not be very smart and not consistently make good decisions in personal behavior without prodding. Many of us are intellectual elites compared to peers. However, nobody is really entitled to violate norms and move the topic away from what I specified. There's already a thread for most of the diversions.
Who are these medical experts that these politicians are getting advise from? There are numerous medical experts who do not agree with covid shots to protect the vaccinated. Please explain how a covid shot for the unvaccinated protects the vaccinated? There is zero logic behind such a mandate. A fifth grader can see that.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:51 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,884,211 times
I don't remember the name of the bald doctor with a big role in the decision-making process, but very likely he's not the only one. I addressed the other point days ago. If you refuse to read what I said and harass me in own thread....

Old 10-03-2021, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I don't remember the name of the bald doctor with a big role in the decision-making process, but very likely he's not the only one. I addressed the other point days ago. If you refuse to read what I said and harass me in own thread....
Can you explain the science behind mandating a vaccine to protect the vaccinated? I’m all ears. This is not harassment. Maybe you cannot because you’re not a medical doctor or scientist, but can you please source a scientist who makes a logical claim that vaccinating the unvaccinated protects the vaccinated?

Tulemutte, our forum sage states we should not be engaging in this dialogue, but is there a medical doctor or scientist who makes an argument that an unvaccinated person poses a danger to the vaccinated? I get we are to shut up and obey our leaders, but I’m inquiring.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:28 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,454,727 times
Quote:
Most or all COVID-related policy decisions, such as the Los Angeles vaccine mandate for municipal employees, involve advice or feedback from medical experts. Count on it.

Not arguing this but in the LAPD complaint (page 6 - 30), the plaintiffs contend that the city has failed to produce evidence specific to the effectiveness of the vaccine vs. "natural immunity", going so far to claim that the latter is better than the former. edit: The next section (31) had a study attached but it doesn't seem to say what the plaintiffs claim it does.

It will be interesting to see the city's formal/legal response to the suit. I highly suspect it will include reams of information intended to debunk that part of it in particular.

That's not to say the lawsuit is entirely without merit. The city will only allow those with accepted religious/medical exemptions to opt-in to weekly testing. Also, the window in which they allowed those exemptions to be submitted was entirely too short. I wouldn't be surprised to see this resolved with the mandate remaining in place with a general testing option being the compromise. Although the complaint also goes to great lengths to call in question even just testing requirements, claiming they're a fourth amendment violation in and of themselves. That's where I think the lawsuit goes off the rails.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:39 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I just find it amusing that you believe none of us should be debating and challenging these issues. Yet, politicians who are not medical doctors or scientists draw policies to implement mandates that we are to follow. That’s the debate, yet it is of your opinion we shouldn’t be debating this topic because of our lack of a medical degree and should rather shut up. I do not think so. It doesn’t require a medical degree to engage in these matters just as it doesn’t require an engineering degree to debate what cell phone is better or an economic degree to debate what economic policies are more sustainable and productive. You certainly do not require a medical degree to debate covid shot mandates. If these back and forth gets under your skin, then move along.
Lol … first: I didn’t say you “shouldn’t be debating these issues” … I said it strikes me as amusing.

And you’re right: it doesn’t require engineering degrees or economics degrees to debate those things either … but without related education and expertise the debates are all mostly garbage shared.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lol … first: I didn’t say you “shouldn’t be debating these issues” … I said it strikes me as amusing.

And you’re right: it doesn’t require engineering degrees or economics degrees to debate those things either … but without related education and expertise the debates are all mostly garbage shared.
Lmao, You are mocking those who are engaging in a debate or dialogue about covid mandates due to none of us possessing a science degree. Fine, none of us have a science degree. Does it require a science degree to formulate an opinion on mandates? Do all medical doctors and scientists agree that the unvaccinated should get vaccinated to protect the vaccinated? Is it not just to question that logic? Do you support people without a degree in education to sit on a school board?

Old 10-03-2021, 05:50 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
According to Tulemutte, unless you have the medical knowledge we should not be having this discussion in regards to covid, but our nation’s politicians in their infinite wisdom do have the authority to make decisions and implement polices on this science without having any scientific and medical background. We are to shut up, they are smarter people who we should trust. You can’t make this up!
Never referred to “politicians’ infinite wisdom.” In fact I quite regularly lampoon the stupidity of most politicians.

You should “shut up?” … Hmmm. Never said that either. LOTS of information being shared here is perfectly interesting to follow. What I’ve said is: you drawing conclusions and proffering advice based on specious aggregation of bits and pieces of information that appeal to your ideological mindset contributes to the mindless chaos of social media. You, and certain others here, have polluted the thread with incompetent reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles