Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 PM

310 posts, read 1,246,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I wish I lived in the same Los Angeles that you visited. I've been getting static shocks all day because of the dry air .....
Sorry, Colorado Springs is drier...
The first one is LA, the second is Colo. Spgs.
Attached Thumbnails
LA's climate sucks...-hum-los.png   LA's climate sucks...-hum-cos.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Userdavey View Post
Tell that to my cats, who get shocked every time I try to touch them .....

Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
100F all over the area today by next weekend it will all be gone w/ cool temps instead! Last night was too hot.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:22 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Tell that to my cats, who get shocked every time I try to touch them .....
I feel your pain. However, a person in Colorado hearing someone in LA complain about the dryness? You might as well complain about the snow there too. Trust me, everybody's elbows are white here Their fingers are cracked. You will go through some serious lotion here. I have a sore throat and dried out nose and eyes every morning from October thru May. The static shocks? Pff! I wish that's all we had. I've destroyed at least ten mice from static in my years here. I do mean the pointing devices by the way. As for real mice I've only destroyed one from static so far.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:38 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
LA's climate doesn't exactly suck, but its also not the best. I think there are two major issues that make some people think that the climate sucks.

First of all, there is not even enough rain, not even near enough. This causes a lot of plants to dry out, increasing the risk of forest fires and polluting the air. LA seems to me like its a barren desert and its usually very dry most of the year. This also causes allergies, dry skin, dry scalp, nails fall off. All that stuff.

Temperature fluctuation: Now this is a big one. I remember last November we had a few days in the 90s! I mean this is kind of silly. Where have you seen that has these kinds of hot temperatures? That is just not normal. And yes, Colorado is dry but at least it has what is called a proper winter season. In November it has to be cold. I believe everything has to have its place. Summer should be warm/hot, winter has to be cold, fall has to be fall and spring has to have temperatures near 65-70 degrees, not 99!

So my point is although LA's climate does not exactly suck, it is not even close to being the best.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,394,730 times
People in the West complain about the dryness, people in the South and East complain about the humidity, so take your pick. It's always something-- dry heat vs. humidity, earthquakes and fires vs. hurricanes and tornadoes, not enough rain vs. too much. I think having four seasons is overrated. I only need one-- warm and sunny, and if I can get a beach breeze, I call that a trifecta.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
LA's climate doesn't exactly suck, but its also not the best. I think there are two major issues that make some people think that the climate sucks.

First of all, there is not even enough rain, not even near enough. This causes a lot of plants to dry out, increasing the risk of forest fires and polluting the air. LA seems to me like its a barren desert and its usually very dry most of the year. This also causes allergies, dry skin, dry scalp, nails fall off. All that stuff.

Temperature fluctuation: Now this is a big one. I remember last November we had a few days in the 90s! I mean this is kind of silly. Where have you seen that has these kinds of hot temperatures? That is just not normal. And yes, Colorado is dry but at least it has what is called a proper winter season. In November it has to be cold. I believe everything has to have its place. Summer should be warm/hot, winter has to be cold, fall has to be fall and spring has to have temperatures near 65-70 degrees, not 99!

So my point is although LA's climate does not exactly suck, it is not even close to being the best.
There are certain things that can never happen due to latitude. The further south the warmer it is. People in Florida deal with warm winters more than in California. Rainfall is just not ever going to be enough because of atmospheric factors that define our climate as southern Mediterranean [except in those El Nino years that come around every once in a while.

Also keep in mind that places like Phoenix\ Dallas\ Atlanta of similar latitude with SoCal are incredibly hot compared to LA during summer & Texas\ Georgia have double the humidity levels. Who can argue with winters near 70F & summers under 90F

Once this horrendous heat wave ends it will go back to cool temps & coastal clouds for several days.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
The humidity of LA (and surrounding areas) gets extremely dry during a Santa Ana winds event. Humidity levels can drop to under 10%.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
It's brutal here in the winter. The lotion is called Udderly smooth and it's over the counter.
I had no idea how dry\ very low humidity it gets in Colorado during winter. We sometimes drop to below zero dew points & 10% humidity during santa ana conditions [and why wild fires are a problem even in winter occasionally]. Allergies & dried-up sinuses can set in for some people but other than static electricity it is generally comfortable [unless it is too hot]. Chapped lips is about all that I get. Sounds more uncomfortable in Colorado. Do you use humidifiers?

Old 04-23-2009, 05:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,380,190 times
Although more and regular rain would be very nice from a water conservation/air quality/dust & fire control standpoint, L.A.'s "lack of weather" does make long range planning and outdoor activities more possible.

I've only lived in SoCal so I've taken this aspect for granted. I don't think Angelenos ever buy a ticket to a Hollywood Bowl or Greek Theatre event (outdoor venues), months in advance, and wonder if the weather will be an issue (aside from sweater or no sweater).

How do people in other regions with "real weather" handle it when sudden rain/snow/sleet intrudes on street fairs, cultural festivals, outdoor concerts, picnics, parades, flea and farmers markets, etc?

I like spectacular thunder and lightning shows but since they are not common here, I've never had a lightning strike damage electrical appliances (although I've experienced lightning related power outages). I know that unplugging of computers, stereo equipment, etc. is recommended during lightning, even with surge protection. Is this an issue where lightning storms are common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles