Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

If you want rain move to Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 01:08 AM

635 posts, read 1,687,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Los Angeles's weather is boringly almost perfect. Almost every day is perfect weather. It gets so that days are almost Xerox copies of the previous days. Shirt sleeves, jeans and running shoes in the summer, shirt sleeves, jeans and running shoes in the winter. I don't own an umbrella let alone galoshes or a trench coat. I feel put out the few days cold enough to require a jacket. We have two seasons, summer and winter, except that winter is just a cooler version of summer. I take pictures when it rains, to remind myself what rain looks like. I can go almost anywhere, any season, any time of the day or night with little concern for what the weather is. LA weather is boringly almost perfect.

I'd like a little more variety. I enjoy bad weather as long as there isn't too much of it. I love thunderstorms. We get thunderstorms only rarely in LA.

I'm not inconsistent with what I've posted in other threads. I want to leave LA because of the congestion, traffic, crime and all the big city ills. The weather is the best part of LA even if it's boring. LA's weather has absolutely nothing to do with why I want to relocate when I retire.

I hope that covers the subject.
I used to think that ... You want variety? Approximately two weeks ago, this is what happened: 1 day the high was about 50 degrees w/sunshine (not too bad), the next day the high was about 40-ish w/sunshine (still not too bad), the next 3 days it was overcast and rained like crazy - quarter sized drops in some parts of the city w/thunder and lightening (okeee...) and the next day it snowed -- sideways (ahem), snow melted overnight and the next day it was 71 degrees and sunshine. I start the day dressed like an eskimo and peel down as the day progresses. That's just the way the weather is here. At first I liked it, then it becomes stressful when you've gotten used to 'LA sunshine'. It wasn't just the past few weeks, thats generally the weather we get here. People rarely mention it or talk about, which is craaaazier. You want variety? I understand that, but this? I dont think so.

I'm caterwalling for the LA sunshine! When in LA I felt cramped in, rat-raced to death, smog burn-off tired, Nascar-on-the freeway-to-get-15 minutes-down-the-road fed up, sardined congestion, strip malls xeroxed to the max. Imho, you should take a trip, take a few trips, take several trips and take your time to find your new home. In the meantime, the trips will lighten your load. Someone said in another thread, familiarity breeds contempt and it can, anywhere.

Last edited by justhere; 04-18-2009 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-18-2009, 02:47 AM

485 posts, read 1,704,517 times
"When in LA I felt cramped in, rat-raced to death, smog burn-off tired, Nascar-on-the freeway-to-get-15 minutes-down-the-road fed up, sardined congestion, strip malls xeroxed to the max."

I love that description, that is exactly how I feel here sometimes. I couldn't have said it better! I do love L.A. very much, but I do have moments (or months) when I feel just like this!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
I used to think that ... You want variety? Approximately two weeks ago, this is what happened: 1 day the high was about 50 degrees w/sunshine (not too bad), the next day the high was about 40-ish w/sunshine (still not too bad), the next 3 days it was overcast and rained like crazy - quarter sized drops in some parts of the city w/thunder and lightening (okeee...) and the next day it snowed -- sideways (ahem), snow melted overnight and the next day it was 71 degrees and sunshine. I start the day dressed like an eskimo and peel down as the day progresses. That's just the way the weather is here. At first I liked it, then it becomes stressful when you've gotten used to 'LA sunshine'. It wasn't just the past few weeks, thats generally the weather we get here. People rarely mention it or talk about, which is craaaazier. You want variety? I understand that, but this? I dont think so.
I don't know what part of LA you're in, but here at my house in the San Fernando Valley it hardly ever rains, and most of the time it rains it's just sprinkling. It has snowed less than once a decade here in recent decades. And most of the time the clouds are just a flat horizontal layer, not the nice cumulus that I see on my vacations.

And wind? It does that a lot, but I doubt anybody actually likes the wind. This is one weather variety I could do without.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't know what part of LA you're in, but here at my house in the San Fernando Valley it hardly ever rains, and most of the time it rains it's just sprinkling. It has snowed less than once a decade here in recent decades. And most of the time the clouds are just a flat horizontal layer, not the nice cumulus that I see on my vacations.

And wind? It does that a lot, but I doubt anybody actually likes the wind. This is one weather variety I could do without.
Lovehound justhere is writing about the weather in Tennessee!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:15 AM

635 posts, read 1,687,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Lovehound justhere is writing about the weather in Tennessee!
Yep!

Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
I could do without wind, too, as the Santa Anas dry out my sinuses and make me miserable. I've thought of moving elsewhere, like to Seattle, but I don't think I could deal with the cold and dampness. At least now, when we're socked in with the marine layer day after day during "May gray" and "June gloom", I can take comfort in knowing that the blanket of clouds is protecting us from the searing summer heat yet to come.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Lovehound justhereis writing about the weather in Tennessee!
Then why aren't we discussing it in the Tennessee forum area?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I could do without wind, too, as the Santa Anas dry out my sinuses and make me miserable.
I'll take June Gloom over the Santa Ana winds anytime!

Not only does the Santa Ana destroy my sinuses, it also makes my skin itch all over.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:06 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
I moved out of the LA area years ago. The smog, the heat, the Santa Anas... no thanks.

I have never been to Los Angeles but I cant stand smog or the intense heat. I am happy with my -temperatures in the winter and my 60-70 degree weather in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles