Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
It is just EAST, not "right."

I am so sick of people saying, "Oh, you came from the LEFT side of the country, with the leftists and such a good place to have LEFT!"

Good grief! This is one reason I want to move back.....the views by East, esp. the South East of the West Coast is so over the top.

Sorry, you hit a nerve there!~

Dawn

Get over it. Left and right when referring to geography have nothing to do with politics. Generally, in the northern hemisphere when looking at a map, we point north "Up" which puts the East Coast on the right and the West Coast on the Left. People tend to refer to the north as "Up north", south is "down" south. If you wish to read some sort of political subliminal message, that's your choice and your burden to bear but up, down, left, and right simply refer to positions on a standard map. Please don't mistake this explanation for an apology because it's not. You just took a discussion about weather and turned it into a political debate so I'd say your touchy nerves probably cause you plenty of problems.

And looking back, I actually did type "East coast". I referred to the the "right" side of the country after using the Rockie mountains as a dividing line for the weather patterns...which it is. It's this sort of reactionary childishness that causes so many Easterners to think folks on the West coast are a little off. All I said was that I enjoyed warm summer rains that are common on the East coast and you got your panties in a knot and read some sort of socio-political nonsense into it when all it actually meant was quite simply that I enjoy summer rain and miss that particular aspect of the weather to the RIGHT of the Rockies.

On the bright side, if something so minor gets in your craw then your life is probably a lot better than you think it is.

Last edited by Joe_Ryder; 06-06-2008 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times
I used to live in the Midwest. I liked everything but the freakin' weather. Try -60F wind chill factor, or it being so cold outside that there's a warning you could possibly die if you are outside for more than 5 minutes, or try digging your car out from under a snow drift, or breaking up a snow pack because the snow plow boxed you in, driving in a Blizzard sucks, hail damage isn't so great either, or it being overcast for WEEKS (and the sun would peek out then disappear for another two weeks). I hated it... I'll take dry, boring weather any day.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
LA is so beautiful with those palm trees, mountains etc. but the weather sucks, this might be shocking for you.

IT'S TOO DRY! OMG I feel sorry for the plants, trees etc. it's too dry!
The weather would be the best if the city had more rainfall, 380 mm yearly precip. is too little... around 500 mm would be perfect!
Specially in the summer.... it doesn't even rain... it's boring without any rain lol
Live in Phoenix for a year, then let's see if you complain.

These easterners!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Looks like another job for - you guessed it! The Serenity prayer:

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.

I am thinking "the weather" falls into the "cannot change" category.....while "domicile" would be in the "can change" aisle.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Sorry, you hit a nerve there!~

Dawn
Dawn, maybe you should consider switching to decaf coffee.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:57 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
You should complain to the people in charge of the climate.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:48 PM

96 posts, read 410,370 times
Default LA is NOT a desert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
First of all, Los Angeles is in a desert. Deserts are defined as areas that get less than X inches of rain per year. You are mistaken if you expect LA to have much rain.
This makes me want to scream! LA is NOT a desert! A desert gets less than 10 inches of rain, and has very different vegetation.

LA is classified as a "Mediterranean climate", which is found in only 5 areas of the world (including the Mediterranean naturally).

"A Mediterranean climate is one that resembles the climate of the lands in the Mediterranean Basin, which includes over half of the area with this climate type world-wide. In addition to the areas surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, this climate type prevails in parts of western North America, in parts of Western and South Australia, in southwestern South Africa and in parts of central Chile." More at

Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the next time someone's says LA is a desert, please set the record straight! (And screenwriters, please take note...)

I really wish people who live in LA would appreciate where they are living. Did you know that the California Floristic Province is a Biodiversity Hotspot? One of THE most important areas in the world for density and rarity of native plant species.

Biodiversity Hotspots - Hotspots by Region

California alone has over 5000 different species of plants, many of which are found nowhere else in the world and are now rare and endangered due to over-building in natural environments.

Which makes me wonder at gardens filled with grass, iceplant and ivy, when there are so many fantastic native plants that would love to move back in...

Old 06-06-2008, 01:22 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,237,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

We do have some of the most temperate and moderate weather in the entire US, and in my own opinion LA has the best weather in the nation.

So quit yer bitching and either enjoy it or move, unless you're one of those people who can't move, the prison population or living with mommy and not yet 18 years old.

With all due respect it was in this thread that you said the weather in L.A. is so boring and that it's one reason why you were wanting to leave. So which is it?

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...-prescott.html

I have read a lot of your posts though and have enjoyed your journey to find a new home.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 PM

56 posts, read 180,914 times
I so missed the rain when I lived in LA but now that I have moved, it is even more apparent that every area has its good and bad points. It is kind of fun that in LA, you can plan a picnic a year in advance and almost be certain that it will be nice out! When it did rain, my daughters and I would go on so many walks and splash in the puddles. We even took off rain days from school like snow days because it was just something to celebrate.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:26 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
It is NOT used that way here in NC....it is derogatory and my guess is that you can say all you want about how you didn't mean it and get over it but what you are really saying is that you can say whatever you want and you don't want to be called out on it.

Dawn

PS: I also just looked at all of your last MANY posts and they are ALL political, so don't tell me I am off base here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Get over it. Left and right when referring to geography have nothing to do with politics. Generally, in the northern hemisphere when looking at a map, we point north "Up" which puts the East Coast on the right and the West Coast on the Left. People tend to refer to the north as "Up north", south is "down" south. If you wish to read some sort of political subliminal message, that's your choice and your burden to bear but up, down, left, and right simply refer to positions on a standard map. Please don't mistake this explanation for an apology because it's not. You just took a discussion about weather and turned it into a political debate so I'd say your touchy nerves probably cause you plenty of problems.

And looking back, I actually did type "East coast". I referred to the the "right" side of the country after using the Rockie mountains as a dividing line for the weather patterns...which it is. It's this sort of reactionary childishness that causes so many Easterners to think folks on the West coast are a little off. All I said was that I enjoyed warm summer rains that are common on the East coast and you got your panties in a knot and read some sort of socio-political nonsense into it when all it actually meant was quite simply that I enjoy summer rain and miss that particular aspect of the weather to the RIGHT of the Rockies.

On the bright side, if something so minor gets in your craw then your life is probably a lot better than you think it is.

Last edited by DawnW; 06-06-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles