Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 AM

63 posts, read 136,662 times

Advertisements

I love Topanga, been to Thousand Oaks also seemed nice. DO I HAVE TO BE A MILIONARE TO LIVE IN T. O.? Anywhere you could reccomend in the area? What are the average townhouse rentals? Buranank? T.O? Is Topanga more expensive than T. O.? Elsegundo? Im a single dad, have 2 teenage boys and dont want them or myself to be submerged in a gang scenery. Kind of a normalish place to live and be with in an hour of the ocean. Hey Ive done it in Jersey my whole life Im sure there is a place there too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Where are you going to work?
Rent or buy?
What is your budget or price range?

What does mom think about her kids moving?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,845,992 times
What is your budget and your most desirable areas? In the valley Northridge,, West Hills, or Chatsworth maybe. El segundo and decent areas that close to the West Side, and the ocean are quite expensive! Try Torrance maybe. There are some decent areas in places like Montbello(north of Whittier) and in the San Gabriel Valley. Some parts of Long Beach, or Lakewood are decent and affordable. You might also consider Orange County, although that can also be very expensive. One more thing, You are in Socal so no matter where you go there are going to be gangs to a certain degree! Things change quick so look for sighns of crime, bars on windows, All screen doors on houses are thick an made of iron. Some areas can be deceiving at first so ask around. I wouldn't live to far from where you are going to work LA traffic gets old very quickly!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM

What are the average townhouse rentals? Or nice apartment? Two bed at least. $1500 would be great but I dont know how realistic that is for rent. Here in my area of NJ it doesnt get you much.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:24 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,335 times
$1500 in So. Cal won't get you much either you will have to increase your budget. I believe $1500 gets you a studio or maybe a 1 bedroom the last time I checked.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:15 PM

34 posts, read 133,957 times
If you look hard enough you might be able to find something in Thousand Oaks. Don't know what your budget is exactly.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 PM

I lived in LA most my life and I live in NYC now so i'm familiar with both markets (LA and NJ). LA cost of living is comperable to desirable NJ areas(Hoboken, downtown Jersey City etc..) you are looking at roughly the same prices for apts but cost of living will go up because pay is less on west coast but living spaces are bigger. Your cost of living is going to go up quite a bit. Mostly due to the amount of driving your going to do. Atleast gas prices are back down.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I lived in LA most my life and I live in NYC now so i'm familiar with both markets (LA and NJ). LA cost of living is comperable to desirable NJ areas(Hoboken, downtown Jersey City etc..) you are looking at roughly the same prices for apts but cost of living will go up because pay is less on west coast but living spaces are bigger. Your cost of living is going to go up quite a bit. Mostly due to the amount of driving your going to do. Atleast gas prices are back down.
Creeping back up, it looks like.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:18 PM

Well Im a union operating engineer. Transfering there and like here, Ill be up and down god knows what freeway day to day, always a new destination. Can anyone tell me an accurate description of Thousand Oaks? Crime? Didnt seem like it was anything but nice but that was about 8 years ago..

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Thousand Oaks is nice but make sure you can afford it and your not commuting to like southbay everyday! First see where you are going to work and go from there! See previous post and other threads LA TRAFFIC SUCKS!!!!! At first it won't bother you but thats short lived when yor commute is 30 miles at an average of 10 miles an hour! I will let you do the math! Its not quite that bad but it sucks! Live near your work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles