Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times

Advertisements

Hi there, my partner and I have lived in L.A. for 14 years, and we have friends (gay couple) that are raising their 1 year old (via surrogate) in Belmont Shore area of Long Beach. They absolutely love it there, and it is a very diverse and open community down there. Of course, their child is not of school age yet, so I'm not sure how good the schools are. But in line with what other people are saying, Long Beach (specifically Belmont Shore) is a great area.

We are actually looking to have a child ourselves (either adopt or surrogate), and school quality was one of the things we looked at when we moved to Glendale. We also know that South Pasadena and Burbank have some good public schools with a lot of diversity. Also, a very nice gay area is Silver Lake, and make sure to move to the Ivanhoe school district, known for very diverse, very GOOD schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM

109 posts, read 204,696 times
Another vote for Long Beach.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I know this thread is old, but just wanted to point out that yeah West Hollywood is gay friendly... but I don't think it's very child friendly. It's more of a "I'm gay and in my 20s and want to party!" type of place. Not a "I'm gay, in a committed relationship, and have a child" kind of place.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM

69 posts, read 199,989 times
I thought this was a joke at first too! I was like DUH YEAH! But now I see... West Side is the best side as they say in California. Same goes for Los Angeles. West LA/ West Hollywood is ran by the Gays. Honestly it has to be one the trendiest and cleanest parts of Los Angeles. Great neighborhoods and good people. Most people who live there are not from California in my experience which some how makes it better. Lots of diversity that is for sure. Gay hangouts for young and hangouts for those that just like to chill and relax.

I am not Gay but I been fortunate to visit the area often. SouthBay i.e. Hermosa/Redondo is cool with the Gays too. All of these places are pricey, West LA not so much but if you look hard you can find a nice spot. If all else fails there is always the Dena's (pasadena /altadena) and the valley.

OC is undercover ultra conservative. Glenn Beck fans and republicans galore. They aren't to keen on the Gays there. So avoid living there if possible. Visit OC but don't get attached!

Good luck to you and your family and welcome!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Sacramento is very open and accepting. City schools aren't great but they get better in surrounding communities.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
I thought this was a joke at first too! I was like DUH YEAH! But now I see... West Side is the best side as they say in California. Same goes for Los Angeles. West LA/ West Hollywood is ran by the Gays. Honestly it has to be one the trendiest and cleanest parts of Los Angeles. Great neighborhoods and good people. Most people who live there are not from California in my experience which some how makes it better. Lots of diversity that is for sure. Gay hangouts for young and hangouts for those that just like to chill and relax.

I am not Gay but I been fortunate to visit the area often. SouthBay i.e. Hermosa/Redondo is cool with the Gays too. All of these places are pricey, West LA not so much but if you look hard you can find a nice spot. If all else fails there is always the Dena's (pasadena /altadena) and the valley.

OC is undercover ultra conservative. Glenn Beck fans and republicans galore. They aren't to keen on the Gays there. So avoid living there if possible. Visit OC but don't get attached!

Good luck to you and your family and welcome!
West LA is not West Hollywood, and West LA is hardly run by the gays. Not in the slightest.

As readymade said, West Hollywood is of course the most gay friendly part, but it's more ideal for a younger, single gay, though I know many older gays (partnered or not) who live there too. So it's also a fine placce for older gays who have settled down with a partner but still want to be surrounded by their community

However, if you're gay and totally settled down with a partner, having kids, and trying to live the white picket fence, you may consider elsewhere. That's because West Hollywood is expensive (you won't get a typical suburban home here unless you're super rich), not so child friendly, and congested. Plus no real schools.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONLIGHTING View Post
OC is "undercover" ultra conservative? OC has been "out of the closet" ultra conservative since before the orange groves. (Native. I know my Republicans.)

And Laguna has been gay-friendly for a VERY long time. But I'd go with Belmont Shores or Long Beach for a family. Simply because Laguna is basically a small town at heart. More going on up the coast.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
(Native. I know my Republicans.)
(Native. I know my orange groves.) Wish they were still there. More trees, less cement and fewer people!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
(Native. I know my orange groves.) Wish they were still there. More trees, less cement and fewer people!
You and me both. Charles has posted some O.C. photos on the "heavenly" thread and all I could think was, "It was much more beautiful before all the houses."

Old 04-06-2011, 02:00 PM

69 posts, read 199,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
West LA is not West Hollywood, and West LA is hardly run by the gays. Not in the slightest.

As readymade said, West Hollywood is of course the most gay friendly part, but it's more ideal for a younger, single gay, though I know many older gays (partnered or not) who live there too. So it's also a fine placce for older gays who have settled down with a partner but still want to be surrounded by their community

However, if you're gay and totally settled down with a partner, having kids, and trying to live the white picket fence, you may consider elsewhere. That's because West Hollywood is expensive (you won't get a typical suburban home here unless you're super rich), not so child friendly, and congested. Plus no real schools.

Jenkies! I lived and worked in both sections of town and they are like streets away from each other give me a break. You act like they are 50 miles apart. Burroughs is all they are. Get over yourself and your block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles