Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:39 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post

Don't bring a firearm, it's illegal in L.A.
Unless things have radically changed in the recent past, it isn't illegal. It's just illegal to carry concealed.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:41 PM

18 posts, read 43,719 times
I think it's a good idea to come and visit, and I hope it's what you're looking for. Jumping into the deep end sounds SCARY to me, but I basically did the same thing when I was 19, and I loved the thrill of it all. I survived and am now a settled adult in LA (dying to move out ahaha). The economy was better then of course, but I think there are still jobs out here, even if you have to work at In N' Out for awhile... I hope your decision turns out to be the best for you and I wish you luck!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:58 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
The OP would be crazy to relo from one of the lowest unemployment states to one of the highest. Community Colleges are the same in both places. It's a no brainer, stay in MN and focus on getting a life. Then, later, maybe think about a relo.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:02 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The OP would be crazy to relo from one of the lowest unemployment states to one of the highest. Community Colleges are the same in both places. It's a no brainer, stay in MN and focus on getting a life. Then, later, maybe think about a relo.
Unemployment is almost 10% in Minnesota. Not as bad as CA, but still not good.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 PM

20 posts, read 44,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalife View Post
Unemployment is almost 10% in Minnesota. Not as bad as CA, but still not good.
How recent is that 10% figure? In June 2009 it was 8.4 in MN according to the BLS (11.6 in CA).

Labor Stats

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 08-13-2009 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Just fixed the link

Old 08-13-2009, 06:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,114,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a G.R.I.T.S. View Post
How recent is that 10% figure? In June 2009 it was 8.4 in MN according to the BLS (11.6 in CA).

Labor Stats
I live in Minneapolis. At this time, I believe it is in the 9 % range. Alot less traffic for the past year now cause people are out of work.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 65,917 times
>>>So basically I enrolled into LA City College.

So, what's the big deal about LACC? Did I miss something here? It's one of many community colleges in the L.A. area, and not the prettiest one by far.

Stay where you're at, go to community college there, come out when you're more established.

But If you came out here and had a choice, go to Fullerton instead, and enroll at Fullerton College, it's a much nicer area and a much nicer college environment in general IMO.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennystone View Post
>>>So basically I enrolled into LA City College.

So, what's the big deal about LACC? Did I miss something here? It's one of many community colleges in the L.A. area, and not the prettiest one by far.

Stay where you're at, go to community college there, come out when you're more established.

But If you came out here and had a choice, go to Fullerton instead, and enroll at Fullerton College, it's a much nicer area and a much nicer college environment in general IMO.
I think he has mentioned he has a friend he will live with for the time being. The place is closer to LACC than Fullerton and he will have no car. You are right, he needs to give up the dream or nightmare of moving to L.A at this time. Too many people are only reading and hearing what they want to. They ask for opinions but will close their ears and eyes if those opinions are not what they want to hear.

Nita

Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
This will be an adventure. The roller derby is on your street for entertainment.
We have a bus system and a burgeoning subway system. Dont know where you are on Bonnie Brae to say how close you'll be to it.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 PM

202 posts, read 429,417 times
Hey everybody I appreciate all the words. Ive read every single post and gained alot of insight from your individual opinions and advice.

Basically ive realized the futility of my effort. I had a talk with my bro down there and his situation is not so good...In my desperation to do something with my life and get out of MN I overlooked alot of the negatives of the move.

Ive decided in order to better myself and further my legacy and not have to struggle like a bum in the hood of LA I will be joining the United States Air Force. Having lived as a civilian and working regular jobs and done some schooling, ive during that time contemplated military service for a couple years now, the realization of the crappy situation I would have in LA directed me to my decision.

I figured it would be like this...yeah I go down there, live in a grimy hood with my friend and his gf who are struggling as well in a studio apt that does not even have a kitchen, go down there with no vehicle, minimum funds and enroll in a community college that will put me into debt regardless, while trying to survive and work some BS burger job (i turn 24 this month and working some minumum wage pissant job is out of the question).

Im a previous government employee and I like that government check, added to the fact I will be performing a duty for the country while bettering myself in all aspects, learning new skills, meeting new people, traveling around, AND being able to go to school (which is completely paid for) while getting paid at the same time...well it really wasnt much of a decision for me at that point, my mind was made.

Again I appreciate all the advice, dont worry it wasnt all for naught...I will still be heading down there for a brief stint to visit my friend and my family before I get shipped out. Thanks again everyone, and no, none of your responses were douchey. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles