Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 AM

120 posts, read 480,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
how is this an issue?

wow, the petty things that upset people.

all you gotta say is NO. why feel bad? especially if you already "donate money whenever possible"?

besides, does it really matter what some stranger behind you is thinking?

it does not matter to me. i say no. if they ask at the bank, at the gorcery store, or mcdonalds, if i am unable to donate i just say NO. when a bum asks me for money, if i have some change i give it, otherwise i politely say "sorry, you gotta catch me on a better day brother/sister"

no big deal.

is this really a thread?
really?!

most people are happy that vons would take up such a good cause, otherwise they wouldn't do it. i just say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
most people are happy that vons would take up such a good cause, otherwise they wouldn't do it. i just say no.
I have no problem with the card reader asking or placing a bucket at the cashier stand. I just find it annoying when the cashier is forced to ask you after you have answered on the card reader.

You would think that in this economy that a business would do everything to attract customers not drive them away. Of course I could say no but just fInd it not appropriate to ask someone once they already have answered once they made their decision on the card reader. Besides, I really doubt Von's is doing this because their a bunch of sweethearts, there must be some motive.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM

30 posts, read 75,461 times
I always try to hit the "no" button on the keypad before they ask me. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I know it's not the cashiers' fault; corporate policy requires them to do so. I just find it funny how some use a self-crafted line to comfortably ask everyone, like "Any donations for you today?" I'm always tempted to say "Well, that wouldn't really be a donation for me now, would it?" but again, I don't want to be a jerk. I at least applaud Von's for having signs by the entrances noting that anyone outside asking for donations is not store-approved, and that the best thing to drive them away is to ignore them. Which I do. If there are people at both doors, I just go to another grocery store.

The worst was the other weekend, when some dad had his poor kids (under 10 for sure) handing out flyers at the Party City in Alhambra extolling the "evils" of Halloween and preaching a religion. Jeez, just let the kids go home and play; don't force them into your dogma! Another guy was there for some charity (not sure which one; they wear goofy white uniforms that make them look like they got sidetracked from a marching band) holding the doors open for people, hoping to "force" them into talking to him and making a donation. I just give 'em the old "NYC ignore" and move on!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
@Chareth - You are right - no one should feel "pressured" into giving to any solicitor - and Von's is a solicitor just like the people who camp outside their doors. The responsible solicitors get permission from the manager first and pick wisely - it's always good to have the manager support your cause - I always got permission from the manager before I set up outside a store to solicit signatures for petitions - and I got the best results when the manager and most of the employees asked me to stay until their shifts ended so they could sign also!

I take umbrance at your suggestion that the dad at Party City shouldn't teach his child that Halloween is evil, that he is "forcing" the child into his dogma. Isn't this just your opinion coming out and aren't you pushing it on others who may not believe as you do? The man has his opinion and it is that Halloween is evil. Just because you feel different doesn't impugn the validity(in his mind) of his claim or remove his right to hold such a view. As for the letting the kid "go home and play" - it is his child - he can indoctrinate the kid in whatever he wishes(within legal bounds) until the child is old enough to form his own opinions - which often happens early - so what is your concern over what the child is learning now? Maybe the kid will come to an opinion different then his father.

I participate in Halloween, but would never deign to imply that anyone should not hold views opposite of mine, or not teach their family to do what they do. You chareth are the enemy of liberty - although I would presume you think you are protecting liberty - under the influence of a distorted view of religion - and our Constitution's 1st Ammendment.

Their is a thread on CD here in LA section about Halloween - it has got a lot of activity lately. Most everyone slams the OP for being upset at people not participating in Halloween. It is a personal choice. Don't endanger anothers liberty by espousing that he is subjecting his child to what you percieve as "dogma". If you let that worm out of the can - you open the possibility for someone to attack YOUR "dogma". Words are powerful and mean things. Be cautious how you use them.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
it is his child - he can indoctrinate the kid in whatever he wishes
Kids aren't the toys of their parents to do with as they please. Using them to preach in public about stuff they don't understand is simply using them for Daddy's personal motives.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:43 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Kids aren't the toys of their parents to do with as they please. Using them to preach in public about stuff they don't understand is simply using them for Daddy's personal motives.
Just like when parents bring kids to 'Occupy' protests.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Just like when parents bring kids to 'Occupy' protests.
With the potential for violence and any and all forms of uncouth behavior possible at these, I wouldn't bring a kid to one either.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:59 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
Magic words: not today
You're right: "Not today, thanks." Big smile. Done, walk out.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
"NO" with no smile works for me.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
I just say "no thank you" and continue on with no further comment.

What annoys me is having to scan my store card (Von's, Ralphs, Albertson's) or get charged a higher price. And have to carry the damned cards all the time. Talk about being marked with the number of the beast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles