Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:57 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times

Advertisements

When you're in Hollywood take the time to walk down Hollywood Blvd at least several blocks past the Ripley's; everything you've mentioned on your Kodak parking Hollywood list is tourism-central. Fun, to a point, but you'll get a MUCH better sense of the rest of Hollywood if you head east towards Vine. Otherwise the Hollywood/Highland intersection is pretty much mobs of people and a lot of flashy big signs. If you have time, walk down to Vine and back; you can check out the Capitol Records building from there, too. If you don't have time, at least walk down as far as Whitley and the old Fredericks of Hollywood building. It's a quick walk, and, I think, well worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM

196 posts, read 591,285 times
Thanks Uptown. We will. Don't mind being the touristy people while we are there, just don't want to miss anything cool. And the Capitol Records is perfect. We don't walk slowly esp if we know we want to see a lot. It's just between Disneyland the day before on my birthday and the day after LA for hometown stuff/friends/family we only have one day for sightseeing in LA.
thanks again

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliciac;10588772[B
]Thanks VLWH I wondered if we could respectfully wander around there.[/b] I think we'll have to take an evening stroll on Rodeo since there is a Louis Vuitton..all we have here is a crummy Coach outlet.

And yes, I thought 10 bucks for the day wasn't bad either.

Can I work all these into one day?
La Brea Tar Pits
Graumanns Theater
Pinks
Olvera Street
Ripleys Museum
Rodeo Drive
?
From the seeing-stars website:

Quote:
The friendly folks at Pierce Bros. Westwood Memorial Park, for example, will gladly point out a particular star's grave if you ask them, and at Hollywood Memorial Park they will even give you a detailed map showing the locations of the stars' graves.
Hollywood Memorial Park aka (Hollywood Forever Cemetery).

They expect visitors and have no problem with tourists coming in and strolling the grounds.

Seeing-stars

Actually on certain Saturdays of the month, they sponsor a movie night at the location. Old movies are shown and people actually sit around the plots.

cinespia

Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Glad to know about the cemetary, I'm on seeing-stars website now.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:56 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Yes, Dearly Departed is not inexpensive, and it would take a large portion of the day out of your sightseeing. I think your itinerary looks like it should be fun, indeed, and the lights will be up on Rodeo and Wilshire at the end of December.

A place that sprang to mind that's really old school (or at least vintage retro, not a modern interpretation if it) is the House of Pies on Vermont at Franklin, which might be good for a slice of pie after an day exploring and Pink's.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Thanks bmwguy a slice of pie sounds great! I think we've settled on

Hollywood Forever cemetary
Hollywood Blvd, Kodak Theater, Walk of Fame street
Drive by Jim Henson company (I'm a muppet fan/child of the 80s)
Pinks for lunch
The Grove
Rodeo Dr. drive by

I dunno this could change and we could fit more things in if we are at places shorter times. Just a start. Again I appreciate all the input and will gratefully accept more. Ya never know if something is in the area we'll be in and will drive by to take a look!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM

143 posts, read 393,873 times
The tar pits are so close to the Grove you might as well drive by.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:03 PM

GREAT to know! Thanks so much kid!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM

95 posts, read 281,374 times
I've never taken the Dearly Departed Tour, but before I moved here I bought a star map and made my own Dearly Departed Tour. Most star maps have the locations of major crimes such as the Manson Murders, Nicole Brown Simpson, etc. If you don't want to spend the money on a guided tour, I recommend going that route.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Oh good to know also Melissa. Are these the things folks are selling on the corners? (Naive, I know)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles