Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,912 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know this is probably a tough question to answer, but I really feel the need to ask. My job wants to transfer me to Los Angeles, so I started doing research on the area. Well, I had no idea that there was all this Black vs. Latino violence going on in LA. It's really starting to upset me, particularly the stories about innocent people being targeted just because of their race. There seems to be a lot of anti-black feelings among Latinos and it seems like blacks could be a target anywhere. This sounds more like 19th-century Mississippi than 21st-century, "liberal" southern california. Here's one of the stories I found in the LA times:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...a-news-comment

So please give me an honest answer. As a black man, will I be safe living in LA or is there just not much of a future for African American in southern california? Thank you so much for your help. I'm really worried about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:36 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Depends on where you live. Live with white people and you'll be OK.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,304 times
I don't know where you get this idea from. We have a large African-American population in Los Angeles in all cities from South Central to Beverly Hills. Los Angeles is a very accepting place. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Artie

Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
I don't know where you get this idea from. We have a large African-American population in Los Angeles in all cities from South Central to Beverly Hills. Los Angeles is a very accepting place. I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Artie
If you read that story from the LA times, it talks about how a 14 year old African American girl was shot and killed by Latino gangs just because of her race.

Here's part of the article:
"For example, one African American resident was murdered by Latino gang members as he looked for a parking space near his Highland Park home. In another case, a woman was knocked off her bicycle and her husband was threatened with a box cutter by one of the defendants, who said, "You ******s have been here long enough."

That's where my fear is coming from. The LA Times is basically saying that Latino gangs are on a mission to conduct ethnic cleansing of certain neighborhoods. It's one thing to be a victim of a crime because you're in the drug trade, gang world, etc. But when you're a victim just because of your race, that takes it to a completely new level. Please, try to understand where my apprehension is coming from. I really would love to live in LA, but articles like this are making me think twice.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Blacks and Mexicans have been fighting in LA since my mom was in high school in the south bay so its not exactly new. Today, with all the illegals flooding into traditionally black neighborhoods, there's a lot more friction. Throw in absentee parents, gangs, and poverty, and you get what you read in the LA Times. If you stay out of south central or east la, you'll be fine.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 PM

644 posts, read 3,321,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornDC View Post
If you read that story from the LA times, it talks about how a 14 year old African American girl was shot and killed by Latino gangs just because of her race.

Here's part of the article:
"For example, one African American resident was murdered by Latino gang members as he looked for a parking space near his Highland Park home. In another case, a woman was knocked off her bicycle and her husband was threatened with a box cutter by one of the defendants, who said, "You ******s have been here long enough."

That's where my fear is coming from. The LA Times is basically saying that Latino gangs are on a mission to conduct ethnic cleansing of certain neighborhoods. It's one thing to be a victim of a crime because you're in the drug trade, gang world, etc. But when you're a victim just because of your race, that takes it to a completely new level. Please, try to understand where my apprehension is coming from. I really would love to live in LA, but articles like this are making me think twice.
You're going to find these problems in any big city. This is Los Angeles, a city of nearly 4 million people. If you want to look for reasons to be afraid, you'll find plenty in the paper! I bet people get killed, raped, and robbed in DC, too, right? Just move to a safe area and you'll be fine. This is Los Angeles. It's not the South.

Artie

Old 05-24-2007, 10:20 PM

89 posts, read 499,588 times
I grew up in LA county. There's been racial tension there my whole life, and I'm 61. The violence seems to be mostly in certain neighborhoods. And the truth is, any of us, any race or nationality or religion can be a target just about anyplace in the country.

Move into a nice neighborhood, even if it means a smaller house. Check the crime rates for various areas. People can be idiots anyplace though.

I haven't lived there in about 12 years, but my husband and I and our children had friends of many races, and we never had a problem. We lived in Lakewood. I imagine Lakewood is still a nice area as long as you stay West of the San Gabriel River. Maybe someone who has lived in Southern California more recently can give you a better idea.

LA is HUGE. What area are you going to be working in? Do you have any idea what area you want to live in?

Don't be too fearful. Just do your homework. I realize that this is part of your homework. But there are surely ways to check on neighborhoods, crime rates, racial violence.

There are way too many people, too many cars, too many houses in SOuthern California for me anymore. We moved to a small, rural town in Kansas, 850 people, mostly white. But we do have a Vietnamese person here, one black person and about 3 hispanic people, maybe more races that I just simply haven't noticed. I don't think any of those people have had a problem living in this community. And our family members have visited us here, and we've had no problems.

Well, I'm just babbling now. I do wish you well. I wouldn't move back, couldn't if I wanted to. We simply could not afford to live there anymore.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 PM

37 posts, read 339,011 times
Yeah But These Latino Gang Bangers Aint Got Nothing Better To Than To Start Trouble. They Are Losers And Everybody Out Here Is Sick Of Them, Me Included.

Why Dont These Gang Bangers Get A Job Or Leave La, Or Better Yet Commit Suicide.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 AM

153 posts, read 637,541 times
You shouldn't have a problem if you stay out of the poorer, gang ridden communities. Most of L.A. proper is not like Boyz in the Hood or what you're reading. But be warned, L.A. is most definitely NOT "liberal" and accepting. L.A. is one of the most conservative towns you'll find. Debauchery and liberal do not go hand in hand. You won't get shot, but you'll die a slow death just from life here in general.

And no, there really isn't a future for Blacks here. I speak from experience and this is in no way meant to scare you, but just for quality of life purposes I want to you to understand what I'm saying. Actually, I don't think there's a whole lot of future here for anyone. I grew up here, have seen the great and the awful, ugly and beautiful and I can truly say that while there's a lot to love (after you've built up your very thick skin), there's so much that wears you down that you might miss what's fantastic.

Seriously, good luck, and don't let fear for your life keep you from enjoying what you can out here.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:42 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Again, where you live is all down to what kind of environment matches your personal predilections.

With the illegal immigration, there has been a big politicial shift of Latino's having more and more influence in politics in L.A. in what were once traditionally black areas. A lot of blacks have gotten out of L.A. and have moved to Riverside and this has helped increase the social and political marginalization of blacks in L.A.

My perception of Lakewood was it was once a real nice little town (my late grandparents had a sweet little place there back in the 1960's), but gang warfare has pretty much made it largely undesirable. However, the crime stats below indicate that I may be wrong:
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

So make of this what you will. Probably the lowest crime areas are in Calabasas and the like, but that is rather a hike from downtown L.A. and they are expensive.

How about Burbank? Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

I don't know that area that well except for some of the corporate centers, but I don't particularly like what is around it (Van Nuys, Hollywood). So you might investigate it and see if it is workable for you.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles